PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Anybody for ATV'ing on Sunday (26 October)?

BruteForce
10-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Since the weather will be nice, I figured I'd get one more ride in before my vacation officially ends. I'm going to ride the South side (possibly to Eureka and back) of 5Mile Pass. While on the East side of the Tintic's, I've got some geocaches to hit.

fourtycal
10-25-2008, 04:56 PM
maybe. pm sent.

BruteForce
10-26-2008, 05:48 PM
fourtycal, thanks for the company on our ~86 mile ATV ride from 5Mile Pass to Eureka and back.

I really appreciate the ~17 mile tow back to the truck after my belt detonated.

To make matters worse, I stopped for gas near home and must have gotten bad fuel. The first time I came to a stop after filling up, my truck wouldn't maintain an idle. I had to just keep pressure on the gas to keep from stalling.

Here's our route http://www.xmission.com/~jamesk/80mile.jpg

I figure my belt detonated somewhere around #9..

JP
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Man, that's an awesome trip :nod:

fourtycal
10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey thanks for the invite. And thanks for taking me right to all those geocaches too :haha: . I took a couple of pictures along the way :2thumbs:

BruteForce
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Nice pics! I'm surprised you didn't get one of you towing me back.

What a rough end of the day. Let me count up the damages:

- Detonated belt on the ATV ($65)
- Water or bad gas in the Durango ($0), but couldn't maintain an idle (now fixed)
- Took Durango to the car wash and one of my fog lights broke ($65)
- Flicked cigar ash out the window, but it really landed in the backseat (burn hole in back seat of truck).

What a fun day, just to have it end so badly! :frustrated:

I'll have the belt fixed and the air filter cleaned/replaced before week's end. I'm ready for some snow riding! :2thumbs:

fourtycal
10-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Nice pics! I'm surprised you didn't get one of you towing me back.

What a rough end of the day. Let me count up the damages:

- Detonated belt on the ATV ($65)
- Water or bad gas in the Durango ($0), but couldn't maintain an idle (now fixed)
- Took Durango to the car wash and one of my fog lights broke ($65)
- Flicked cigar ash out the window, but it really landed in the backseat (burn hole in back seat of truck).

What a fun day, just to have it end so badly! :frustrated:

I'll have the belt fixed and the air filter cleaned/replaced before week's end. I'm ready for some snow riding! :2thumbs:

Don't forget the flat tire you got on the wheeler while being towed back :haha:

BruteForce
10-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Don't forget the flat tire you got on the wheeler while being towed back :haha:

:nono: Oh you had to bring that up too, eh?

Well, thanks for the company on the ride. The weather was perfect, the trails were great. I still have an excuse to go out there.

The owner of the "Long Climb up" geocache indicated the trail past the train tunnel (2 miles or so north) was the correct route. I confirmed via Google Earth.

accadacca
10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you'll need to add a belt to your survival bag. :haha: