PDA

View Full Version : Gimp?

Wild One
10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
So, for those of us who just can't seem to pony up the cash for Photoshop I've been told about this program Gimp that is supposedly similar to PS. Anyone out there have any experience with this software?

http://www.gimp.org/

Mind you I personally have no needs of really creating anything for web pages or anything like that, but only for photo processing. Thoughts? Exp?

theking648
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
if i didn't have photoshop... (i didn't pony up the doe for it :haha: ) i would use gimp. i use to use gimp when i was on a linux machine some time ago. it takes a few hours to get use to it but ya it's a simpler version of photoshop

bryan
10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I started using it a couple months ago and I really like it. Mind you, I've never used PS. But I think it'd take me a long time (if ever) to outgrow Gimp's capabilities. It seems pretty powerful.

There are some good basic tutorials on youtube if you search for "gimp". Those have helped me a lot. Using layers to adjust lightness and contrast has been a revelation for me.

goofball
10-24-2008, 04:09 PM
i used gimp for years before going ps. it is a great tool, and the fact it is free is incredible to me !

R
10-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Gimp is a very powerful program. Caviat: it might actually be easier to start with Gimp anew than to try to switch from Photoshop - the GUIs are just different enough that I am lost when I try Gimp.

Wild One
10-27-2008, 09:18 AM
hhmmm, not quite the responses I'd expected.
Thanks guys.