PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Pandora's Box

Stick
10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
We went down Pandora's Box yesterday. We did it as a loop hike. The canyon is as good as advertized. Hiking back to the top of the mesa was brutal. The next time I do this I think I will try to bring two cars down and set up a shuttle and hike out to the Chimney Rock trailhead, even if it does take longer.

There was only one place with any significant water, and it was up to my knees. We left at 7 am, and returned to the car at 6 pm. I think this time of year was the perfect time to do this canyon. It wasn't too hot out, and the days are still long enough to complete the hike before it gets dark (but maybe not if we hiked out to Chimney Rock). I wouldn't want to do this canyon during the summertime.

It seems like the trailhead is a popular place to camp. It was full last Friday night.

shaggy125
10-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Just so you know, the hike out Chimney Rock is brutal as well. Lots of sand in the wash and a deceivingly large elevation gain right at the end. You pay your dues no matter what way you exit. Awesome canyon though.