PDA

View Full Version : Kanab makes Youtube!

climbinghalfdome
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Yea I'm like super bored and I found this on the tube. Didn't know Kanab was part of Zion but I guess its all sumantics. Special note; Dude in film is not me, and no I would not have the stones to Solo the Kanab Cicle aka Pork U Pine Flow aka only ribbin of ice for miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp3ywwRrnag

If you can't tell, I can't wait for ice season. I think there is a very good reason why the film cuts off where it does. Dude pooed himself as he realized he was 30 feet off the deck with no rope.

WHATS THE CRAZIEST THING YOU'VE SOLOED? OR SEEN SOMEONE SOLO?

Mtnman1830
10-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Insanity. This is the craziest thing I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4034t169zE

jumar
10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
I'd have to agree that the Dan Osmon clip is one of the craziest. I don't do free solo...I like life too much :haha:

Don
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Insanity. This is the craziest thing I have seen.

There's really no risk to that once you've been to ninja school. :haha:

(Also, it's the craziest climbing video I've ever seen as well.)

denaliguide
10-18-2008, 02:46 AM
soloed the great white icicle in little cottonwood canyon in around 79 or 80. soloed denali in 82 and 84, summited in 84 from 14,000 round trip in 11 hours. not really a big fan of soloing. so much to lose and so little to gain.

that clip of osman is unreal. i did that route in 80 and he makes it look so easy. it is a lovers leap classic.

Brian in SLC
10-18-2008, 08:52 AM
If you can't tell, I can't wait for ice season. I think there is a very good reason why the film cuts off where it does. Dude pooed himself as he realized he was 30 feet off the deck with no rope.

Nah, film cuts off as the climber didn't get on the steep section.

Interesting...when he pulls the Pulsar out of the truck, looks like the tags are still on. State of the art in '95, kinda. Must have been an x-mas gift.

Geez, tryin' to think...done some soloing...none of it that crazy. Did the GWI in LCC for the first time, lightly dressed, early season. Got a shower at the top, and the ice was flexin' under my weight, but, since it was my "on sight" I carried on (foolishly, perhaps, but, seemed ok at the time). Used to solo it a bunch, but, have known a number of fairly good climbers blow it too. So, now I try to scare up a partner even if I don't place much pro...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

climbinghalfdome
10-18-2008, 08:26 PM
There is a very good reason why it cuts off where it does. Dude pooed himself as he realized he was 30 feet off the deck with no rope.

Interesting...when he pulls the Pulsar out of the truck, looks like the tags are still on. State of the art in '95, kinda. Must have been an x-mas gift.

I saw that. I was like WHAT IS THAT? Maybe it was a name tag. But it could be the price tag..

Used to solo it a bunch, but, have known a number of fairly good climbers blow it too. So, now I try to scare up a partner even if I don't place much pro.
-Brian in SLC

I think we just lost an Exum Guide a month or two ago. When I asked another guide what was the deal he said that after 40+ years of climbing and having several 5.12's recently under his belt he decided to go scrambling. After getting his cliants safely to the lower saddle on The Grand he thought of going for an afternoon solo of the lower Exum. They recovered his body after 1,000 footer. Nice way to end a career.
Its like I always say;
A good mountaineer dies in his bed. I'll eat some serious crow if that doesn't happen to me. ;-)