PDA

View Full Version : Ice Conditions 2008-2009

jumar
10-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Still a bit early, but ice season is approaching. Any conditions to report anywhere?

climbinghalfdome
10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
what are the odds that we were thinking of the same thing and you posted 3.5 minutes before I did? Can you please take my post off then?
Kevin

climbinghalfdome
10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Still a bit early, but ice season is approaching. Any conditions to report anywhere?
Isn't there a web site that has all the beta? I can't remember the address?

jumar
10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
:haha:
Removed the post. Now we have one thread :)

Yeah I shoudl dig up my sources from previous years for ice conditions...last year there was one on rockclimbing.com that was updated pretty good.

jumar
11-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Saw some ice coming in on the pricicle (price -icle) last weekend

Brian in SLC
11-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Saw some ice coming in on the pricicle (price -icle) last weekend

Rumor has a friend of mine climbed ice on Timp. last weekend. Up high, north facing.

-Brian in SLC

mrbrejcha
12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
It's been chilly lately, anyboday have an update?

Brian in SLC
12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
It's been chilly lately, anyboday have an update?

Pic from Timp from a friend...last weekend.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/northern_utah__idaho/provo_canyon_ice_report/106311320

Got a reasonable look at the three flows to the east of the Y coulior in LCC last weekend. They look kinda in, especially the left (east) most two. I've climbed all three, and, low snow is the time to bag them. They are around 3 to 5 pitches of WI 2 to 3 and pretty fun romps (take two ropes if you rappel). You can get a good look at them from the road (past the pull out where folks park for the Y, but, well before you pass Hogum Fork's outlet waterfall (they're just to the right).

Another thing that looked kinda quasi doable, and, I've done it in real lean conditions is the gully just right of Hanging Slab, and to the left of Super Slab in LCC. Looked kinda ok. Binoculars should tell a better story, but, looked icey and thin but continuous. Goes for around 4 or 5 pitches or better but gets real low angle after the first two or three (first pitch curtain is a fun TR and there's fixed hardware to facilitate that).

I wonder how Willard is? Been cool up there.

Joes was too warm at night a week or so ago, but, with falling temps, my bet is that some of that stuff, especially Mary's Lake, will be prime. Low snow also good timing for that place, as the drive in would be tough in deep snow.

-Brian in SLC

jumar
12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Eagerly awaiting thicker ice :snowguy:

Iceaxe
12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Last week they were climbing Pricecicle (aka: tinkertoys, dirtcicle) at the top of Price Canyon. Wasn't a lot of ice but there was enough to climb, water was still flowing down the center. I was kind of surprised as we drove by and I looked over to check out the ice and saw climbers on it. Nothing else visiable from highway 6 was in or even had ice on it yet.

jumar
12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Checked battle creek falls area today. Not climbable yet. I did see a guy's tree in his yard with a hose spraying down it. There was climbable ice there. I think I'll try running some water down my climbing wall and see what happens.

millsclimber
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Got our first ice of the season yesterday at the Stairway. It's very nice right now. Good ice a long ways up. There was almost no one up there when we got there around 8, but then the crowds started coming in. All in all it was a great day to be out. Once I get the pics from my brother that went, maybe I'll post a TR.

Glad the ice is back. It feels good to be back in the saddle again.

jumar
12-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the update!

jumar
12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Did some poking around on various forums for ice conditions. Haven't seen any reports from Joe's yet. No one making the trek down there this year?

GWI sounds in
Provo sounds good
Santaquin Sounds good (at least squash head and back off)

climbinghalfdome
12-30-2008, 07:16 AM
ITS TOO WARM FOR UTAH THIS WEEK!
So we drove a few hours to the North to Montana. Bozeman as you know offers quite a little samplin of ice to climb. Yesterday the parking lot in Hilite canyon was full. Joe Joe was guiding some new comers and everyone was in good spirits.
Ice was plastic and fat. Geness 1 is taking a little hit and is showing signs of being steped out. Looks like today we are heading a little farther from the road to avoid the masses.
Why is our sport getting more popular? Who's talking!
Kevin

jumar
01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Went to Joe's today. The usual routes are in and fat (CCC, Highway to Heaven). Didn't look at Donnercicle. Wolfenstein wasn't very thick. Amphitheater's curtain was free hanging still. Didn't see anything else of note.

It was a comfortable 30 degrees down there, while below zero in Wellington. Weird deal.

climbinghalfdome
02-06-2009, 08:27 AM
What do you know about Parowan Canyon (Cedar Canyon)? Has anyone been there with in the last week? I'd like to find Hidden Haven. Where is it at, what are the conditions?
Kevin

nieder
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
I have started iceutah.com as an ice conditions site

Didnt really catch on this year, maybe next!

jumar
03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe now that we know about it, we'll use it next year. Thanks!