PDA

View Full Version : We Went Snowshoeing Last Night

Heather
10-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I spent most of the day feeling miserable from drinking too much wine the previous night, (thanks to my friend Tory;)) and Joe and I sat around watching the snow fall. It fell and fell and finally around 5 pm, it stopped.

Ever since we came home I've felt we haven't really exercised very much. I think my body is feeling all funky because of it. I'm probably mostly missing the endorphine rush from constantly moving my body. The cold weather has been keeping us in, which is funny because when we were on our trip, we would ride our bikes in all sorts of crazy, miserable weather.

Last night was the tipping point. I had to get out there and feel the cold air on my face and move my legs. After the snow stopped falling, we retrieved all of our winter gear from the basement and bundled ourselves up. Snowshoes in tow, we jumped in the car and drove up to snow basin were we found about 8 inches of fresh powder! It was the first taste of light, fluffy snow of the season and immediately my spirits were lifted.

I had been spending the day looking up into the skylight of our loft and watching the snow accumulate. It would block out the light, shading our view of the sky and a faint halo would billow out from the feathered particles. The sight soothed me, but it still left me feeling as thought I was missing something.

When I finally found myself out in the wild open air, my feet trudging through the white froth, and the air biting at my face I felt connected again. I was connected to the earth, to the ground and to Joe, but mostly I was connected to myself. We were only out there about an hour, but that hour did me a world of good. The action of my legs in the snow awakened my senses and rejuvenated my mind. I entered into a new state of being that cannot be recreated in any other way than physical movement.

Cold weather can be a bitch sometimes, but if you use it to your advantage, it can be a such a relief.

http://joe-and-heather.smugmug.com/photos/392371361_8SCBW-L.jpg

blueeyes
10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Cold weather can be a bitch sometimes, but if you use it to your advantage, it can be a such a relief.

amen sister!

you make me want to buy snow shoes

Heather
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
You should try them out! REI and Wasatch Touring rents them out for a cheap price. Snowshoeing is so much fun, especially in the powder. :) Great exercise, too!

blueeyes
10-13-2008, 09:30 PM
WSU rec center rents them too... i have been going to do this for the last 4 years and just havent

this is the year... i will do it... even if i have to go by myself

DiscGo
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I have been bitter about the snow moving in, but hearing about you snowshoeing has really helped make lemonade out of lemons for me. Thanks.

BTW- I got my snowshoes at recreation outlet for like 90 bucks and they are great. I totally recommend getting shoes there.

Heather
10-13-2008, 09:44 PM
WSU rec center rents them too... i have been going to do this for the last 4 years and just havent

this is the year... i will do it... even if i have to go by myself

Go for it! I would recommend taking a snack and some water as you really burn the calories. :)

Heather
10-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I have been bitter about the snow moving in, but hearing about you snowshoeing has really helped make lemonade out of lemons for me. Thanks.

BTW- I got my snowshoes at recreation outlet for like 90 bucks and they are great. I totally recommend getting shoes there.

I'm glad I could lift your spirits a bit. :)

Nice find!

boulderchain
12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
I have a group of friends that have a winter trip each year snow shoeing. We hike into Yurts and play in the snow for a few days. Google Yurts sometime and see what they are all about. I look forward to our trip every year. This year we are headed up above Sunvalley in Idaho. Here is a link...http://www.svtrek.com/huts_yurts/index.html