PDA

View Full Version : Just Empty Every Pocket

Don
10-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Stupid Jeep.
Cracked exhaust manifold, well broken really, a crack is an understatement. How does that even happen? It's so LOUD with the muffler not even connected. I'm not sure it's work I can do myself so there goes another wad of cash.
Oh, but I still love to drive her.

JP
10-09-2008, 08:32 AM
4.0L huh :haha:
They make some pretty nice aftermarket ones now. The cracking with the stock manifold is something that happens quite a bit, they crack along the welds. They make a two piece one and one pieces that are pretty beefed in the areas needed. In either case, it won't happen again. :mrgreen:

http://www.racepages.com/images/products/images/replacement/J960708.jpg

http://www.savannajones.com/Assets/Images/36418/36418-md.jpg

Don
10-09-2008, 08:36 AM
4.0L huh :haha:
They make some pretty nice aftermarket ones now. The cracking with the stock manifold is something that happens quite a bit, they crack along the welds. They make a two piece one and one pieces that are pretty beefed in the areas needed. In either case, it won't happen again. :mrgreen:

I'm still shopping around for the part. Got any links?

JP
10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
What are you willing to spend :haha: Banks makes a nice one that I just posted a pic of, but you pay for that product.

The top one that I posted seems to be the common replacement, that's what I have on my 97 ZJ. If you have any local Pep Boys, Auto Zones or other auto parts stores, check with them first, they maybe cheaper due to the shipping when buying over the Net. Shop around, you'll be able to find some deals I'm sure. I'll help ya on the side of the Net :2thumbs:

The 2nd one, the Banks: $265

What year and model do you have?

Don
10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
'99 Wrangler, TJ.

Local Autozone has one, made by Dorman for $188. My little brother works there and says he can get a few bucks knocked off that. Maybe my best option price wise, but is the Dorman going to last?

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Solutions-Exhaust-Manifold-674-196/dp/B000C17GUY

Edit: Judging by the pic it looks like the one you have on your rig is the Dorman. Correct?

Edit II: That Banks one sure looks pretty.

JP
10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
That's looking like a pretty good deal. I don't know the brand name on mine, but it looks exactly the same. I replaced mine at 120K and I now have 209K on that engine. Starting to have one injector issue, but that's an easy fix. The engine is still running strong for as many miles it does have.

Don
10-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Found a friend who'll do the work for $200 and can get it done tomorrow.
So all in all it should be about $380. Not as bad as I feared.

Next problem; the tires will need replacement soon... :sad:

JP
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Tires :haha: What type are you looking for? Are you on stock tires and stock suspension? If you can find someone with the TJ style Rubi's that took off their rims and tires for a lift and bigger tires, those look very nice on any Jeep. I have a set on my ZJ, all the ZJ needed was two inch lift spacers and all is well. Gave it a little more of a beefy look. The TJ wouldn't need the spacers, but it wouldn't hurt the look.

BFG AT's wear like iron. The Toyo Open Country's great tires. I guess it all depends on what you're looking to get out of them. A strict Grocery Getter, a weekend trail warrior, or a bit more aggressive when it comes to off-roading.

Don
10-09-2008, 10:20 AM
4" Lift, 35" tires. I've got a couple months of wear left on these so I'll just start saving and watching KSL classifieds.

JP
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Do you wheel it or is it more of a road warrior? Those Toyo's are pretty decent off pavement and on.

These are 37's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/EJS%202007/Hells%20Revenge%20%20%2002%20April%202007/P1010126.jpg

Don
10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I drive it to work every day and often get onto improved or less than improved dirt roads. I like to get off road, but don't push it as much as some around here do. Did some scarey shit in Moab earlier this year, but that's not for me. :nono:
I mostly bought it as an approach vehicle; I want to be able to get down sketchy or muddy dirt roads to get to the cool trail head or climbing spot.

It's my mid-life crisis vehicle. My wife left last year; I bought a Jeep. :haha:

JP
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Did some scarey shit....but that's not for me. :nono:
My wife left last year
I'm into that scary stuff :2thumbs: But I know it's not for everyone. Sorry to hear that your wife left.

If I was out there, I would need two. A buggy for the extreme stuff and a well balanced trail rig for those long excursions you guys have out there. I would definitely need two :haha:

The BFG AT's should do you wonders then. They wear great and aired down they do alright off road. Mud doesn't clear from that easy, but all around they are a good tire and one of the better priced ones.

Don
10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Picked up the Dorman part at Autozone on lunch break. Little Bro hooked me up at $160!
:2thumbs:

JP
10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
That's great :2thumbs: She'll run a hell of a lot better once that thing gets installed :haha: I was throwing codes with my cracked one :roll:

Don
10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
After talking to my little brother I'm a little nervous about breaking bolts pulling the old one; should be an adventure...

JP
10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
They weren't an issue on my 97. I did get new ones to replace the old. :nod:

Don
10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Stupid fuel injector. What a pain in the ass that was.
So, 10 hours later, I have a new exhaust manifold. :2thumbs:

JP
10-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Ya, the intake above that exhaust manifold creates one big PIA. The other side of the motor is so bare, good place for the intake :roflol: