PDA

View Full Version : I need help...

DWayne27
10-09-2008, 07:52 AM
lately i have been frustrated with the pictures my 3 year old super basic point camera has been taking so i upgraded. i dont know nearly enough to go the SLR route and be able to get my moneys worth, so i just got basically the nicest point and shoot out there... and i still dont know how to work it. i picked up a canon g10... it definitely seems sweet. just leaving everything on the automatic settings it takes really great pictures- but i want to move beyond that.

it has settings for shutter speed priority, aperture priority (f2.8 to f8.0), ISO from AUTO to 80 to 1600 and a whole bunch of other stuff. now i just need to not be an idiot and figure it out.

anyone have recommendations for learning how to use this thing? i have been reading the manual as well as 'the digital photography book' by scott kelby. hoefully as i keep reading it and messing around with all the buttons i can figure it out a little at a time- but any suggestions would be appreciated

R
10-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I teach at the vo-tech in the town where I live. The students rave about how much they get out of it. Hopefully you could take a class where you are. A college class might be good, too.

JP
10-09-2008, 08:09 AM
as i keep reading it and messing around with all the buttons i can figure it out a little at a time- but any suggestions would be appreciated
Learning the basics :2thumbs: As you're beginning to see, there's a lot more to a camera than a button :haha: As you read deeper and continue to head out and practice what you have read, you'll start seeing the differences. I agree with Richard 100% and getting yourself to a class where there is a lot of hands on and someone making the text of your book more interesting is a pretty good way to retain the info. Get out there and use it. So much easier nowadays with the digital format over film. Makes learning a bit more easier and costs a lot less :haha:

Win
10-09-2008, 08:28 AM
This book is recommended by a lot of people. I found it very helpful:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Win

Redpb
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I teach at the vo-tech in the town where I live. The students rave about how much they get out of it. Hopefully you could take a class where you are. A college class might be good, too.

That's what I'd do. UVU just had a digital SLR class for the public. I was dying to go but had to attend my other class.

DWayne27
10-09-2008, 09:10 AM
i just got finished looking at that. my camera technically isnt an SLR- but i would think the same principles would apply?
i noticed they have an intermediate class starting next week. i am wondering if i should do that. i dont know a whole lot about the basics- but i know a little and catch on to things pretty quick... at least things i care about

JP
10-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't know how much you would have missed if you jumped into an intermediate class. Maybe Richard would have an idea of what the beginner class would have entailed. I'm sure one of the things would be Depth of Field.

IMHO, start with the beginner class. If you jump into an intermediate class, they may only brush across some of the basic issues and then begin getting into the subjects a little deeper. If you end up being lost at this point, it's hard to get a grasp on things.

R
10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Not only is every instructor different, but every class I have taught is different. I teach in a very intuitive way, and I feel out my students, their skills and deficits, and I find out what they want and need to learn. Go talk to instructors and find out what they think.

An instructor can teach everything from how to turn on your camera to the nuances of light, but no one can teach talent - that comes from the creative part of every individual's brain.

JP
10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
that comes from the creative part of every individual's brain.
Ain't that the truth, it's all on how you see things :2thumbs:

DWayne27
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
thanks for all the advice guys- much appreciated. i guess i will have to wait till the next time they offer a beginners course

JP
10-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Keep reading, keep practicing, keep on photographing :2thumbs: Head outside and play with the aperture and see how it affects your pics. Take pictures of moving cars playing with the speed priority. Then you will start to see how light plays a role in photography :haha: Sometimes good and sometimes bad :haha:

shaggy125
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Try videos at the library as well, I found a really good one many years ago that covered enough of the basics to start messing around with stuff. I don't think they have the one I watched anymore, I don't remember what it was called, plus it was on VHS and who uses those anymore? I'm sure you can find articles on the internet as well to give you some basics. James was raving about the photography class he took, sounded like he learned a lot.

Joe Gardner
10-09-2008, 12:07 PM
This book is recommended by a lot of people. I found it very helpful:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Win

This was the first photography book that made things click for me. I still refer to it often, great recommendation.

DWayne27
10-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Any other books out there that come highly recommended? I kind of like books like this anyway to keep for reference. I think i will plan on taking a class- but i dont think i will be able to till the spring, so in the mean time i want to see how much i can gain from books and DVDs etc... (yeah- no VHS player avaliable)
Is the Understanding Exposure a pretty basic book explaining aperture, shutters speeds, etc? The what, why, when aspect of it all?

Joe Gardner
10-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd start off with Understanding Exposure (revised edition). That will keep you busy for a few months. I was just reading mine this morning, its very well written and includes hundreds of great photos that explain exactly what is going on and why.

DWayne27
10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
sounds good- thanks again for all the input. between 'the digital photography book', the manual from the camera, and 'understanding exposure' which i just ordered, as well as getting out and using the camera- i think i should be able to make some progress. and january the next round of class start...

DWayne27
10-15-2008, 07:55 AM
thanks for recommending 'understanding exposure'. i have read about half of it and it is definitely helping me understand all these dials and knobs and menus.