PDA

View Full Version : Teen dies after crowd taunts him to jump

KapitanSparrow
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Jeering onlookers goaded a teenager in Britain to jump to his death, undermining police efforts to talk him down, and then took pictures of the body.

Tuesday as 17-year-old Shaun Dykes prepared to jump from the top of a multi-storey carpark in Derby, northern England, spectators allegedly shouted to him: "How far can you bounce?," the U.K.'s MailOnline reported.

As Dykes hesitated for three hours on the ledge while police unsuccessfully tried to reason him out of taking his life, teenagers who had gathered below shouted "Jump" and "Get on with it," according to police and witnesses.

Then after Dykes lay in a crumpled heap on the pavement the same hecklers rushed out from behind the police cordon to take photos of the body.

"When he (Dykes) fell, lots of people were screaming and crying but there were several groups of youths who ran from behind the cordon and looked like they were taking pictures with their mobile phones," a local shopkeeper was quoted as telling the MailOnline.

"I found that sickening -- why would anyone want to take pictures of something like that?"

Dykes was believed to have been suffering from depression and struggling to overcome a relationship breakdown.

Superintendent Andy Hough, of Derbyshire police, said he was disappointed and disturbed by the people heard encouraging Dykes to jump.

"I find it a disturbing and shocking reflection on society when people feel inclined to do that," Supt Hough told the MailOnline.

That's so sick. They should all get a public beating. F-ing kids are out of order.

Redpb
10-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Stupid emo.... I would have taunted him too and moved on.
I'm not saying I would have made a sport of it or started taking bets, let alone take pictures, but if he's dumb enough to go up there as a 'threat', then good, remove one more idiot from society.

From that height I can't see him bouncing more than 3-6 inches anyway.http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/01/article-1065033-02DB068300000578-922_468x433.jpg

Redpb
10-01-2008, 09:04 AM
oh hell, another jumper...

http://improveverywhere.com/2005/12/10/suicide-jumper/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vsdtCuXS_I

JP
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
It was ultimately his decision. Let's not blame the crowd for making him do it, they didn't place him on that ledge, he did himself with that very outcome already ingrained in his head.

Randi
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
It was ultimately his decision. Let's not blame the crowd for making him do it, they didn't place him on that ledge, he did himself with that very outcome already ingrained in his head.

Coersion is a powerful force in many people's lives and I think it's extrememly tragic that this creepy/insensitive mob mentality might of influenced his decision to actually jump. He vacillated for three hours! He obviously had some reservations about actually going through with it.

I'm sure that if this person was someone you cared about, you'd feel quite differently!

Last Child
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm not saying I would have made a sport of it or started taking bets, let alone take pictures, but if he's dumb enough to go up there as a 'threat', then good, remove one more idiot from society.

Wow, this says volumes about you and your character.

Redpb
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM

That's absolutely right. I'm cold and heartless. Tell you what, why don't you start typing these volumes and get back to me. Seriously, tell me what kind of person you think I am based on this sole opinion.

You know what I should have done was stand there and cry "don't do it, it's not worth it". Pffffft yeah right. Like JP said, it was ultimately his decision. He either was going to do it or not long before he got up there. I didn't push him.

His family ought to sue the onlookers for taunting him, based on the precedent of people suing music artist for singing lyrics about committing suicide. I bet ya he was playing a video game where he could jump from building to building and not get hurt, they should sue them too.

Look, I'm sorry the kid got to that point in his life, but it's still stupid.

KapitanSparrow
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I get your point that it was ultimately his decision. Kid was sick in the head. For all we know he would've jumped anyway. But it does not justify the actions of these morons who apparently don't know enough about compassion or values. Wonder if they would do the same if it was their mother, father, sister, brother. I have no respect for this type of people.

Cirrus2000
10-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I get your point that it was ultimately his decision. Kid was sick in the head. For all we know he would've jumped anyway. But it does not justify the actions of these morons who apparently don't know enough about compassion or values. Wonder if they would do the same if it was their mother, father, sister, brother. I have no respect for this type of people.

Absolutely. Well put, KS.

Redpb
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM

Agreed.
In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy but I probably would have made a cruel remark and made my way to work annoyed the guy caused a traffic jam causing me to be late.

Last Child
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM

That's absolutely right. I'm cold and heartless. Tell you what, why don't you start typing these volumes and get back to me. Seriously, tell me what kind of person you think I am based on this sole opinion.

Naw, youre doing a fine job of that yourself.

Last Child
10-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Agreed.
In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy but I probably would have made a cruel remark and made my way to work annoyed the guy caused a traffic jam causing me to be late.

Flip Flopper. :haha:

JP
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
He vacillated for three hours! He obviously had some reservations about actually going through with it.

I'm sure that if this person was someone you cared about, you'd feel quite differently!
Hey Randi, it was in his head already. Nobody put him up there. If he contemplated it for awhile, so be it. In the end it was his and only his. Gee Randi, what would you have done to save his life?

No Randi, I wouldn't. (Remember, I'm the one that would throw a puppy off of a cliff) I see suicide as a selfish act that impacts loved ones far after the act was committed. Coercion is for weak people, hence the reason for him up there in the first place. The police tried the coercion route, but obviously it isn't what he wanted to listen to. He knew what he wanted and went for it. I don't care for people who take that way out and if it was a relative, I still would see it as it was, the person making that decision. (The only way I see it being acceptable; when the quality of life has diminished so much, there is no quality to it anymore) I won't be blaming the morons shouting and yelling, ultimately it's on the one with the mindset. Unlike you, I wouldn't be looking to lay the blame someplace else.

Bottom line, his decision with or without morons down below.

Last Child
10-01-2008, 10:57 AM
He vacillated for three hours! He obviously had some reservations about actually going through with it.

Hey Randi, it was in his head already. Nobody put him up there. If he contemplated it for awhile, so be it. In the end it was his and only his. Gee Randi, what would you have done to save his life?

No Randi, I wouldn't. I see suicide as a selfish act that impacts loved ones far after the act was committed. (Remember, I'm the one that would throw a puppy off of a cliff) I don't care for people who take that way out and if it was a relative, I still would see it as it was, the person making that decision. (The only way I see it being acceptable; when the quality of life has diminished so much, there is no quality to it anymore) I won't be blaming the morons shouting and yelling, ultimately it's on the one with the mindset. Unlike you, I wouldn't be looking to lay the blame someplace else.

So do you think that your god or Christ is going to be looking upon these taunters favorably at judgment time?

Also aren't you judging a person with whom you know absolutely nothing about and condemning them to hell. Do you know if this person has a treatable mental illness? Do you know what kind of abuse this/these person/people are getting at home? There could be millions of things wrong here.

I know of a girl who was sexually abused by her father for years. Her father who was a Mormon bishop. When she tried to get help no one would help her. They all blamed her. After all her father was a respected bishop. She was alienated. There is no way anyone can understand that kind of pain and sorrow.

So easy to condemn and blame. So hard to try to understand and help.

Redpb
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM

No Randi, I wouldn't. I see suicide as a selfish act that impacts loved ones far after the act was committed. (Remember, I'm the one that would throw a puppy off of a cliff) I don't care for people who take that way out and if it was a relative, I still would see it as it was, the person making that decision. (The only way I see it being acceptable; when the quality of life has diminished so much, there is no quality to it anymore) I won't be blaming the morons shouting and yelling, ultimately it's on the one with the mindset. Unlike you, I wouldn't be looking to lay the blame someplace else.

So do you think that your god or Christ is going to be looking upon these taunters favorably at judgment time?

Also aren't you judging a person with whom you know absolutely nothing about and condemning them to hell. Do you know if this person has a treatable mental illness? Do you know what kind of abuse this/these person/people are getting at home? There could be millions of things wrong here.

I know of a girl who was sexually abused by her father for years. Her father who was a Mormon bishop. When she tried to get help no one would help her. They all blamed her. After all her father was a respected bishop. She was alienated. There is no way anyone can understand that kind of pain and sorrow.

says the man that apparently knows everything about me based on one sentence.

Last Child
10-01-2008, 11:03 AM

says the man that apparently knows everything about me based on one sentence.

Oh no. I never said everything. Only volumes of a portion of your character on this particular subject.

And it was 2 sentences. :mrgreen:

JP
10-01-2008, 11:09 AM

My God? He's yours as well :mrgreen: What God decides isn't up to me, if it were up to me, I would be God then :mrgreen: The way I look at it, I wasn't one of the morons down below. And to lay the blame on bystanders is ridiculous, Jumper Jim ultimately made his decision.

I never commended anyone to hell. Suicide is not a Bible favorite, but again, not my decision. That's above my pay grade :haha: You're right, there could have been a million things wrong, again, wasn't my decision to jump, nor was it yours, it was Jumper Jim :haha:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Has she made the decision to take her own life? I'm assuming the answer is no?

I don't care to understand everyone's problem. I'm just saying, I only look at suicide as a way out when your quality of life has lost its quality. If someone wants to jump, so be it. I don't have to agree or disagree with it. It happens everyday, many times a day. If ultimately that is what they want to do, so be it.

Redpb
10-01-2008, 11:09 AM

nope you didn't say portion....
FLIP FLOPPER!!!!!!!!!!

Last Child
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM

My God? He's yours as well :mrgreen: What God decides isn't up to me, if it were up to me, I would be God then :mrgreen: The way I look at it, I wasn't one of the morons down below. And to lay the blame on bystanders is ridiculous, Jumper Jim ultimately made his decision.

I never commended anyone to hell. Suicide is not a Bible favorite, but again, not my decision. That's above my pay grade :haha: You're right, there could have been a million things wrong, again, wasn't my decision to jump, nor was it yours, it was Jumper Jim :haha:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Has she made the decision to take her own life? I'm assuming the answer is no?

I don't care to understand everyone's problem. I'm just saying, I only look at suicide as a way out when your quality of life has lost its quality. If someone wants to jump, so be it. I don't have to agree or disagree with it. It happens everyday, many times a day. If ultimately that is what they want to do, so be it.

Sorry jp. After rereading your post I see that youre statement about the "morons below" was referencing the taunting morons and not morons going to hell as I presumed. My apologies.

And no this person did take her own life.

I totally get that it is the persons choice. I just try to get people to try to understand that there is something going on that we can never know what is and to try to not judge them so harshly. That is all.

Last Child
10-01-2008, 11:28 AM

FLIP FLOPPER!!!!!!!!!!

Nice try but oh so WEAK. :five:

Redpb
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM

FLIP FLOPPER!!!!!!!!!!

Nice try but oh so WEAK. :five:

Ahh so when you clarify your statement it's acceptable, but when someone else does they are flip flopping?

blueeyes
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Really JP, so I don't know if you are married or have kids, but you are saying that if they wanted to kill themselves "so be it" WTF!

Does it matter the aftermath they cause for the people they leave behind. My DH committed suicide and I am left to deal with two beautiful children who loved him dearly and dont understand his decision. Or how about his parents! Or how about all the loose ends he left and I get to tie up. Does any of that factor into yours or Redpb lack of compasion for the person who is so far below logical reasoning that they would kill themselves some how thinking that solves all problems.

I honestly hope neither of you ever have to experience such senseless loss.

DWayne27
10-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I dont think anyone here is encouraging suicide or saying it isnt a big deal. My view is- dont pass the blame.
Again- the people in the crowd probably shouldnt have been encouraging him to jump- but ultimately everyone is responsible for themselves and you cant blame your actions on anyone else.
Dont jump down my throat saying like i am saying it is totally cool for the crowd to do that. And taking pictures is also another issue. But it isnt the crowds fault. The kid on the ledge had his life in his own hands. No one pushed him off.
And if it was my relative, obviously i would be devastated. It creates a huge mess for everyone else involved. But i wouldnt for a second blame the crowd...

Redpb
10-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Really JP, so I don't know if you are married or have kids, but you are saying that if they wanted to kill themselves "so be it" WTF!

Does it matter the aftermath they cause for the people they leave behind. My DH committed suicide and I am left to deal with two beautiful children who loved him dearly and dont understand his decision. Or how about his parents! Or how about all the loose ends he left and I get to tie up. Does any of that factor into yours or Redpb lack of compasion for the person who is so far below logical reasoning that they would kill themselves some how thinking that solves all problems.

I don't have compassion for someone selfishly taking their life and abandoning loved ones. I'm sure it was a long road to that point, why didn't he get help or talk to someone before? Again, I think he went up there with a mission and was going to do it or not regardless of the crowd.

I do have compassion for the families and friends left behind that have to deal with it. It's not fair to them. I too hope I never have to deal with this. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

JP
10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry jp. After rereading your post I see that youre statement about the "morons below" was referencing the taunting morons and not morons going to hell as I presumed. My apologies.

And no this person did take her own life.

I totally get that it is the persons choice. I just try to get people to try to understand that there is something going on that we can never know what is and to try to not judge them so harshly. That is all.
That's OK, we all get tied up in reading these things and from time to time, because of our own thoughts, we do not process them correctly :haha:

No, I have no idea what is going to happen to the moronic bystanders on their Judgment Day. I'm just referring to blame. Some feel the moronic bystanders should be held somewhat responsible in Jumper Jim jumping. The decision, for whatever reason, rests with Jumper Jim. The moronic bystanders did not force him up on a ledge, prevent him from taking the safe way down nor ultimately pushed him. Jumper Jim brought himself to that ledge for a reason, he jumped for the same, no matter how long he contemplated it.

I'm just thinking if the police arrested all the moronic bystanders, the story would have read POLICE ILLEGALLY ARRESTED MORONIC BYSTANDERS, VIOLATION OF CIVIL RIGHTS EVERYWHERE, WHAT IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TO! would have been the headline making very little on Jumper Jim and the moronic bystanders. They would have had a line each mentioned and then the remarks of the arrested on how the police tazed them, sprayed them and beat them :lol8:

Sorry to hear that your friend took her life, I like to see her father's life taken away in those circumstances.

And yep, it rests on the person whether to take that step or not. I can agree or disagree with it. In most cases, I disagree with suicide. But, that's just me.

Last Child
10-01-2008, 11:58 AM

In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy...

FLIP FLOP.

Two completely different statements. One is not a clarification of things not said. As were mine.

Stating that your comments speaks volumes does not imply that I know "Everything" about you as you insinuated. Thus the need for further clarification.

Redpb
10-01-2008, 12:14 PM

In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy but I probably would have made a cruel remark and made my way to work...

FLIP FLOP.

Two completely different statements. One is not a clarification of things not said. As were mine.

Stating that your comments speaks volumes does not imply that I know "Everything" about you as you insinuated. Thus the need for further clarification.
fixed.
finish the quote, looks like a clarification to me. Both contain some cruel statement and moving on about my day. and yes, I'm still cruel and heartless.
You stated it speaks volumes about me and my character. What else is left? So, if you know so damn much. Let's have it, tell these people who I am. How I go about my day, how I see the world, how I treat my wife, kids, how I treat my neighbor.

devo_stevo
10-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Can't we all just get along??? :roll:

Last Child
10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
...Sorry to hear that your friend took her life, I like to see her father's life taken away in those circumstances.

And yep, it rests on the person whether to take that step or not. I can agree or disagree with it. In most cases, I disagree with suicide. But, that's just me.

The only reason that I brought this up was to try to illustrate that we, on the outside, never know what is going on on the inside or they why these things happen. There is no doubt that this action leaves a wave of destruction behind it. But sometimes the ones left behind getting all the sympathy and compassion are partly if not entirely to blame.

I would just like people to try to understand how bad life must have been for a person to succumb to this drastic measure instead of automatically judging them and pointing fingers and yelling

Last Child
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM

In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy but I probably would have made a cruel remark and made my way to work...

FLIP FLOP.

fixed.
finish the quote, looks like a clarification to me. Both contain some cruel statement and moving on about my day. and yes, I'm still cruel and heartless.

QFE

Redpb
10-01-2008, 12:31 PM

no... :haha:

[quote=Last Child]
The only reason that I brought this up was to try to illustrate that we, on the outside, never know what is going on on the inside or they why these things happen. There is no doubt that this action leaves a wave of destruction behind it. But sometimes the ones left behind getting all the sympathy and compassion are partly if not entirely to blame.

I would just like people to try to understand how bad life must have been for a person to succumb to this drastic measure instead of automatically judging them and pointing fingers and yelling

Don
10-01-2008, 12:32 PM

No; it's a forum. Arguments are what this was invented for.

JP
10-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Nope, you have missed what I have said on this topic today and what I wrote in the past. I view suicide as a totally selfish act. One that devastates loved ones long after the act has been committed. I have mentioned this many times. I don

blueeyes
10-01-2008, 12:56 PM
[quote=Last Child]

Don
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I like debate! It makes you think and hopefully see more then one view point.
We can agree to disagree, if we don't like the view point.

Agreed. :nod:

devo_stevo
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Sorry guys (and ladies). I forget where I'm at sometimes. Bitch on...I mean, discuss on.

JP
10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
And as for "all getting along", it is a forum... ment for discussing ideas and theories. I like debate! It makes you think and hopefully see more then one view point.

We can agree to disagree, if we don't like the view point.
:nod: :haha: :haha:

Last Child
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree this world needs more compassion. Maybe starting with me, but I just don't have any for those that do this and leave these people behind in a mess. I think it's the most selfish thing any person can do. There was plenty of help available long before he got to this point.

We ALL could use more compassion.

As far as help is concerned. Again I must resort to my previous example. She tried. Her family disowned her. Her church abandoned her. She was a teenager all alone with no money. So how does she get the help? Not that that is a justification. But more something for those of us left behind to try understand.

My point being...We never know what some else has or is going through. Never.

Also I have to admit that this is a very sensitive subject for me. Because I have been that low. I have been there. I know exactly what it is like to really want to die with every fiber of my being. But I also know the flip side to that and how things can change. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, depending on the way you view it, I have a unique perspective on this. That's why I try to get people to try to understand the other side. I used to be embarrassed to admit to this part of my life. But now that I don't give a shit what people think of me I have no problem with it. I have actually found that I can be of help to some.

It is so easy to say that it is a "selfish act" and condemn the person. A selfish act? Yes indeed. But he who lives his life for others will always be a miserable person. One thing they teach you in drug and alcohol rehab is to be "selfish" and take care of yourself. For if you can not take care of yourself then everyone around you suffers also.

I find it also a selfish act for those left behind to sit and whine about "poor me. They left me behind" instead of trying to truly understand "WHY"? That is the hardest part. It has been my experience that "most" people do not want to understand because that may hurt even more than living the life of denial and self pity and because it is so much harder to go down the road of understanding than the one of judgement and self pity.

I feel so sorry for this kid who is at the center of the O.P. My heart truly aches for him. And to think that people egged him on just f'n disgust me beyond belief.

Sometimes the people doing things like this and in this state of mind are looking for some help. So for people to jeer him on and encourage it....god, all I can say is that I hope that there is a judgement day. Because from what I know of most religions, Christianity mostly, is that this is anything but a Christ like or god like action. I would like to think that these scumbags will be held just as accountable as if they had pushed him. I see no difference.

Shaun Dykes I hope that you and/or your soul have found the peace that you were searching for.

To you cheering and jeering ass bags...F... YOU! :flipa:

Man I wish I could post what I really want to happen to these people.

Anyway getting down now. :soapbox:

blueeyes
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Well put Last Child.

The fact that he commit suicide so pubically was a LOUD call for help, and he was denied.

It is obviously a sensitive subject for me too! Especially when people say that if a person makes their mind uo to do it, there is nothing you can do. You are proof that a person can be helped.

JP
10-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I find it also a selfish act for those left behind to sit and whine about "poor me. They left me behind" instead of trying to truly understand "WHY"?

To you cheering and jeering ass bags...F... YOU! :flipa:

Man I wish I could post what I really want to happen to these people.

Anyway getting down now. :soapbox:
I don't see a family suffering with that pain, selfish. If they could have cared less about the person, pain would not be part of that equation. The reasons why may be a justification for the one who decides to make that step, but that doesn't mean the ones left behind viewed things as a reason to. In some cases the loved ones left behind truly wanted to help and were left holding the "What if's". When it's decided, it's decided the act is completed. Your reasoning's to or not to are ultimately yours. I'm glad you sided with the "not to".

Go ahead, always looking on perspectives on what should happen to @$$bags :lol8:

James_B_Wads2000
10-01-2008, 03:01 PM
he did himself with that very outcome already ingrained in his head.

That would imply JP has feelings. I

JP
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
He is really good at passing judgment on people and issues he has no f***ing clue about. :2thumbs:

Oh and by the way JP, nice backpedaling when you found out someone on this board has ACTUAL experience with suicide. You are an ass. :nod:

James
Look at the pot calling the kettle black :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

No clue, :lol8: nice try.

Backpedaling? Where? It's a selfish act and I don't condone it Jimmy. And if you have followed posts in the past, both Last Child and Blue have indicated they had some personal knowledge/experience of it before this latest thread. I pay attention to things. So, I already knew before this thread. Not the first time I have seen it here in this forum, unlike yourself. The only time I see it being somewhat acceptable is in the event a person's quality of life has diminished. If someone decides to take their own life, so be it. It was a decision that they justified in their head and when they justify it, it is nearly impossible for anyone but themselves to change that position on it.

Oh Jimmy, I have feelings for people, but not for you :lol8:

TreeHugger
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow, I am flabbergasted by some of the response to this topic. Great empathy and compassion abounds on this forum doesnt it? First of all, the majority of people attempting suicide are not really wanting to die, they are wanting help and this is a last cry for it. Subsequently, if they get that help, get into therapy, get on some meds, etc. they can learn to deal with whatever is putting them over the emotional edge and live fulfilling lives. Second, probably most of the people attempting suicide are mentally ill. That means they are probably not making a completely cognitive, conscious choice, so is that their fault?

I find it disturbing that this person's life is viewed so inconsequential by a few of you ("stupid emo") that you are totally oK that he is DEAD and that it doesnt seem to bother you that there are people in the world who would FREAKING TAUNT the guy into jumping! It was his decision? The crowd didnt have anything to do with it? Are you kidding me? Here is a YOUNG guy standing up there for THREE hours contemplating killing himself. I'm guessing he is, way down deep, wishing someone would save him from his pathetic little life, and yet... wait.... here is a crowd confirming everything that he's been thinking about himself - that he is worthless, that he is better off dead, that NOBODY CARES. You mean to tell me that this crowd had absolutely no influence on this boy??

Dear God, help us all.

JP
10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
and that it doesnt seem to bother you that there are people in the world who would FREAKING TAUNT the guy into jumping! It was his decision? The crowd didnt have anything to do with it? Are you kidding me?
Oh yea, the moronic bystanders are just that, moronic. It was his decision for whatever reason it was his, the crowd didn't lead him to that roof, it was in his mind before he took that first step in the stairway that led to the roof. There was no crowd there, he brought the crowd there by his actions. Did he go there with the intent to have the public vote on what he was about to do? I would think not, in general I believe the public wouldn't want him to jump. Blows my mind that people stood there told him to. Something tells me this article was blown a little out of proportion to make it a little more newsworthy, just like it has accomplished. Sure they were moronic and taking pictures after the fact shows you just how much they were. But, did they lead him to the ledge, did they block his safe way out, did they physically push him? On top of all it, the police were trying to talk him out of it. They were not the bunch of moron's below egging the kid on, these were people who didn't want to see this kid do what he did. They tried for hours, I bet the cops were trying in vein long before any gathering belligerent crowd. It was a mindset. You and I cannot answer if the "taunting" crowd had "anything to do with it." You and I can only assume. What is known, is that he walked onto the roof with the intention on doing what he did. So, take away the crowd, take away the police, would he have jumped? He did walk out on that roof to do just that. We don't know what demons were in his head, we don't know if he was mentally ill, we don't know why and may never know. Even if we knew, it doesn't mean we would understand how bad things were, because everybody handles things differently. I believe there were some issues there, long before he stood above a crowd.

LOAH
10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Gee, I've had quite a few friends and acquaintances kill themselves, many with seemingly good lives (from the outside, of course). It was really sad to stand in front of their caskets (when applicable), attempting to make peace or wish them farewell. It's even worse to see the hoards of friendships cut short and the families suffering through the aftermath.

Who knows why people ultimately decide to do this?

Yes, it's selfish and it leaves nothing but loose ends behind.

Of course, I can't let my former relationship to someone cloud my ability to see the absolutely RIDICULOUS decision that they made in the end.

Everybody has to deal with the harsh realities of life and everyone has to overcome them to survive. If they can't deal with it and cut themselves off, it's their own shortcoming, their own weakness. "Help" is practically thrown at these people from birth, nowadays.

The blame does ultimately come down to the person taking their life.

So what if the crowd yelled "jump" or "just get on with it" or whatever? How long had the "jumper situation" shut down the productivity of that area? 3 hours? By then, I'm sure there would be plenty of people getting impatient and wanting to continue their lives, regardless of the outcome. Of course, standing there and watching is a choice of its own (I probably couldn't watch, myself). The jumper didn't make those people watch, necessarily.

Yes, I think it's selfish and STUPID! Life can't possibly get any better if it's gone!

If I believed that the taunting crowd could "make" the jumper do it, and I had a close relationship with someone else that "did it", then I suppose I would have to place some of that blame on myself, right? (Ouch!)

No thanks. People write their own checks. Nobody pushed him.

I too would be annoyed by the traffic jam. It doesn't make me heartless. It makes me late for something and that shouldn't be happening.

Yes, I care about other people and the way I affect their lives. The fact remains that if they kill themselves, no matter what kind of person I was to them, they still killed themselves.

It's a shitty ending, any way you look at it. Everyone should give themselves another chance.

The taunting crowd was probably calling Dude's bluff. Standing there for 3 hours would bring the doubts. Seriously. I'm not saying that the taunting didn't encourage the outcome, but they still didn't push him.

Taking pictures afterward is just morbid, but whaddaya do? The shock can do that, I guess. If I were witnessing something and I had a camera...

TreeHugger
10-01-2008, 08:23 PM
So you've got a young guy who is emotionally bankrupt and mentally unstable, hearing some cops try to talk him down and a mob talk him off. Which voices are going to resonate louder? Which voices support and encourage his deranged thinking? Yes, I suppose that what he did was ultimately his decision, but I cannot support this idea that the crowd was of no influence.

Let's go back to what I think the original post might have been designed to look at: The disturbing state of our society these days that people actually believe it is OK to encourage someone to KILL THEMSELVES. That kid was someone's son. Where does that mentality come from? I find it disgusting and frightening.

JP
10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
actually believe it is OK to encourage someone to KILL THEMSELVES. Where does that mentality come from? I find it disgusting and frightening.
Like I said before, that part blew my mind. I again wonder how much of it was blown out of proportion by the press? I can see one or two individuals in the crowd yelling stuff, but an entire crowd?

LOAH
10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Like I said. Dude held up the line for 3 hours. People just wanted the situation to end, I would think. By then, they didn't expect Sadboy to actually do it.

Well, he sure showed them!

Dumbass.

:roll:

JP
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
People just wanted the situation to end, I would think.
I'm sure they did, but in a nice way :nod: When everybody goes home. :nod:

LOAH
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
That's what I meant...

...They were calling his bluff at that point (speculating).

JP
10-01-2008, 10:04 PM
That's what I meant...

...They were calling his bluff at that point (speculating).
And the pics of the aftermath?

I can see a couple of wise@$$'s in the crowd, but the crowd in general was probably pretty shocked to see something like that unfold right before their eyes. It's pretty shocking to people that never witnessed something like that before. It's something that most people would never witness in a lifetime.

greyhair biker
10-04-2008, 10:09 PM
This resonates strongly with me as well for my own personal reasons that I will not air in here but, and this is stricktly my opinion, I really feel that with many of these bystanders this experience will haunt them for the rest of their lives. It should. I would rather have compassion for this kid and step up and at least MAKE the attempt at helping him than let it ' go on record' that I was one that stood by and egged it on. I would like to think that I had more integrity than that. Or at least a love for my fellow man. I refuse to argue with any of you over this. Say what you will about me...this is what I stand for.

LOAH
10-05-2008, 04:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with wanting to help. I like the way you put that.

I would like to think that I would also want to help, if the opportunity presented itself.

As a bystander from the ground, however, I wouldn't be in that position. I would only be in the position of witnessing something horrible (someone dying) and absurd at the same time (someone dying because they killed themself).

I stated previously that I don't think I could watch.

KapitanSparrow
10-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm surprised there was no one on the ground that would smack those idiots in the face, police included.

bbennett
10-05-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm surprised there was no one on the ground that would smack those idiots in the face, police included.

I agree. If anyone deserves a good ass whooping, it's those "people". I've seen a lot of stuff in my time that I would prefer to forget, but I just can't wrap my head around the mentality of enjoying the death of someone that certainly didn't deserve it.

Deathcricket
10-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Interesting responses. I'm probably the extreme end of the spectrum. I've no pity for a loser that takes his life. The family that has to deal with the mess left behind, hell ya I feel bad for them. I'm not saying I would have jeered him on, but society has a fascination with death. So I can understand people wanting to see him splat. If it was guaranteed that he wasn't going to jump, no crowd would be around to watch right? Obviously he's up there having a pity party for himself so I can understand the "piss of get off the pot" mentality. It's not a reflection on how society has degraded like you guys are making it out to be. NASCAR highlights are of the crashes, why do you think that is? And people are surprised/shocked that there were pictures taken of the incident? LOL!

Look there are hundreds of places you can get help. Everyone has problems and needs help once in awhile. But it's your job to recognize that and act appropriately. You cant be a spoiled little brat demanding attention on a rooftop. That inexcusable. You are the judge of your life and if you feel it's not worth living, I support your decision. The world is overpopulated, and human life isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be. Good people are dying of cancer, disease, accidents, etc. They WANT to live and are being denied that right. That is a tragedy! Some loser who probably has a couple minor problems and wont get help freely available just isn't worth my pity. Does it even matter what his problems are? No it does not. Whatever they are, they are beyond his ability to deal with and he obviously doesn't want help from normal outlets. So now we are supposed to cater to him on a rooftop and talk him down? When did we become such weak minded individuals? It's like a perfectly able bodied person saying "I'm hungry". Then we respond "there is food on the table 10 feet from you". He then responds, "naw I don't want it". So he goes about his day using the restroom, cleaning the house, but doesn't eat the friggin food on the table. Well 2 weeks later the guy is starving and we applaud someone grabbing the food off the table and walking the ten feet and spoon feeding him. I call those "enablers". They enable the weak to function in our society and make us weaker in the process

Now there is one area where I feel bad regarding suicide. Soldiers... I think they see and do things no human should ever have to do and become less than human. Maybe killing machines? I'm not sure what terminology to use really. But we basically brainwash them to follow orders and not think. But I think not enough is done to re-integrate them into society after they are done. They have seen and had to do shit no human should be forced to do, and the stresses they have endured are absolutely insane. Then we drop them off the boat and expect them to just go back to a regular life like nothing ever happened? BS! I think more attention needs to made in that regard, and truly feel bad for them. Maybe like a once a month manditory meeting with a counselor to checkup on their mental health. Talk about the struggles they are having regarding civilian life, stuff like that. We can't ask them to sacrifice so much and then discard them like a piece of trash.

Bring it on hippies!

James_B_Wads2000
10-05-2008, 02:56 PM
...hold on I need to fix my reply, I miss read some of Cricket's statements...

Deathcricket
10-05-2008, 03:12 PM
...hold on I need to fix my reply, I miss read some of Cricket's statements...

That's never stopped you before.
:haha:

Just kidding, I was actually hoping you'd reply.

James_B_Wads2000
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
That hurts! :haha: I actully try and read post carefully so I understand what is said. I also try to make a meaningful responses, most of the time, I kid around too. My problem is that I spend too much time thinking about my reply when 90% of the people following the thread don't really read it.

James

James_B_Wads2000
10-05-2008, 03:46 PM
What can I say cricket? I mean you are pretty far out there. You say you have no pity for people that commit suicide, except soldiers, because they are too lazy to

TreeHugger
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Now there is one area where I feel bad regarding suicide. Soldiers...

Hypocritical, but hey, politically correct. Very nice of you to make that exception to your totally bogus and completely unbelievable view on life. Soldiers have hundreds of places to get help too. Everything you said about that dude on the roof applies to them too. So, if the guy on the roof was in jeans and a TShirt causing a traffic jam wanting to kill himself, would you still encourage him to jump? Ya know, it's hard to tell about a person in jeans and a t-shirt: He MIGHT BE A SOLDIER. Or is it just that you have a thing about goth-y lookin' people, they obviously are worthless pieces of crap and might as well just die.
Oh yeah, and what about the horrors that young guy may have faced - YOU DONT KNOW what has been going on in his life. Perhaps he's been sexually assaulted since he was 4 years old, maybe he's had to watch his sister get sexually assaulted, maybe he's been the family punching bag, or locked up in a basement and fed $hit for 5 years... YOU DONT KNOW. And like James said, mental illness distorts your ability to see things clearly AND get help. YOU DONT KNOW.

TreeHugger
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Bring it on hippies!

ANd what the hell does mean or imply? What on freakin' earth do HIPPIES have to do with anything?

Deathcricket
10-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Well I would agree (with you) that a person's problems are all a matter of perception. And a person committing suicide perceives small problems in their life to be major problems that are insurmountable.

Does that mean that the soldiers are too lazy too? In my mind living with the fact that it was your duty to blow a guys brains out because your country asks you too is vastly different than any possible problem a normal human can face. I also think that soldiers who live in a military situation being told what to do, think, eat, and sleep, would cause trauma once that is taken away. I think soldiers are naturally self reliant and bite off "more than they can chew" and it ends up dominating them. granted I'm not in their shoes but suspect this is the case. I just know it would haunt me for all my days if this was forced upon me. But its a clear difference at least in my mind, than "I lost my job, girlfriend, son, etc". Which brings me to my next point.

[quote]When your next door neighbor comes over and kills your wife and kid, I

Randi
10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Bring it on hippies!

ANd what the hell does mean or imply? What on freakin' earth do HIPPIES have to do with anything?

I think he's probably elluding to the fact that hippes are all about "love and peace and understanding".

Interesting responses. I'm probably the extreme end of the spectrum. I've no pity for a loser that takes his life.

Sadly, it looks like quite a few of you here on Bogley, and at least a handful of those "on-lookers" to this tragedy, adhere to the above philosophy. It

Deathcricket
10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
First, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills to be able to argue effectively.

So, if the guy on the roof was in jeans and a TShirt causing a traffic jam wanting to kill himself, would you still encourage him to jump?.

I'm not saying I would have jeered him on, but society has a fascination with death. So I can understand people wanting to see him splat.

YOU DONT KNOW

Does it even matter what his problems are? No it does not. Whatever they are, they are beyond his ability to deal with and he obviously doesn't want help from normal outlets.

So we don't know WHAT his problems are, yet you feel qualified to make decisions in his best interests? Sounds almost "god-like" to me, I'm impressed.

:2thumbs:

Oh, the hippies remark... ya know.. peace love understanding.. pity for the weak...

abirken
10-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I just think there should be no room for disagreement on this topic but apparently there is. In my world, there is and would be total compassion for an individual in that kind of mental pain. Call me the compassionate one. Randi, Tree and a few other peace, loving, hippie, Bogley folks on here summed up everything I could have said and BETTER. :2thumbs:

James_B_Wads2000
10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Jeez Cricket

R
10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I had a close friend shoot herself to death in the winter of 1994. She had a lot to offer - a talented nurse, a skilled seamstress, a great musician. She had a lot of hurt, though, and it consumed her. She wasn't a loser, she was just wounded. After she died, her family gave me her diary, and I discovered she had made all the entries out to me; they all began, "Dear Richard."

I don't know how I could have saved her, but I know that if somehow we had saved her, she would have brought something into the world, something meaningful and important. Right now I know someone like her, someone who is hurting and can't find the answer. I hope she knows that she can call me or Abby if it would help. And if she is, one day, on that ledge, I'll try to talk her down.

TreeHugger
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
[quote=deathcricket]

Bring it on hippies!

I think he's probably elluding to the fact that hippes are all about "love and peace and understanding".

Interesting responses. I'm probably the extreme end of the spectrum. I've no pity for a loser that takes his life.

Sadly, it looks like quite a few of you here on Bogley, and at least a handful of those "on-lookers" to this tragedy, adhere to the above philosophy. It

Deathcricket
10-05-2008, 10:15 PM
We are way to polarized for you to understand my position. And clearly I'm pissing people off by speaking it, so will shut up. but just wanted to quote this....

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]
I agree that all things being equal, that the individual is the best one to decide if their life is worth living. But I would say that for the majority of people who are contemplating suicide that all things are not equal. Most are in a mental state where they are not making rational decisions. Maybe it is a cry for help. I would admit that there may be some people that are so far gone that they are determined to die no matter what. But just because they step out on to that roof, I am not going to assume that no part of them wants to be helped.

And that

James_B_Wads2000
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I can only try to understand your position as it was written. As much as I love to be told I won the argument, I am afraid that you are just letting me win by default. That

Cirrus2000
10-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Just poking my nose in here once more to say count me in the hippie camp, too.

:hippy:

James_B_Wads2000
06-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey I didn't know DeathCricket lived in China. :haha:

James

Suicidal man in China gets push off bridge after blocking traffic for hours, survives

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 11:16 AM

BEIJING - Chen Fuchao, a man heavily in debt, had been contemplating suicide on a bridge in southern China for hours when a passer-by came up, shook his hand

Don
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
26 feet doesn't sound nearly far enough for suicide. Would suck to feel so miserable about life that you want to end it and then only end up making it worse by injuring yourself. :ne_nau:

Deathcricket
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
If only this happened in Japan, there would be a video we could watch.

:lol8:

Edit: Wait, I suspect this story is a fake. Don't they have snipers in China who can keep traffic moving along?

James_B_Wads2000
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
If only this happened in Japan, there would be a video we could watch.

:lol8:

Edit: Wait, I suspect this story is a fake. Don't they have snipers in China who can keep traffic moving along?

As if you didn't know... :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPRM1BfxKL0

James

Don
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
:roflol: Thanks for the vid! :2thumbs:

Deathcricket
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
:roflol:

Great video!

Sniper at 1 hour instead of pusher at 5 hours would have been better though. I bet a lot of those people stuck in traffic missed dinner and family time.

Edit: After reading the comments on youtube, I have to also ask.. WHERE'S KEYBOARD CAT WHEN YOU NEED HIM?