PDA

View Full Version : Green River '08 - Flaming Gorge Dam to Little Hole

Sombeech
09-28-2008, 01:31 PM
9 of us altogether; 6 floated the green Friday and Saturday, and 3 of us just made a Saturday day trip out of it.

On the way up, we caught the wind farm just east of Evanston right at sunrise.

Here's the video. Click the "link" to get the higher quality version to see those fishies better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y44XeQJTDZU&ap=%2526fmt%3D18

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/Sombeech/ww.gif

LOAH
09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow, looks like a helluva trip!

Do you float the Green every year? I've noticed past trip reports of yours, floating the Green.

I've never been and, by your pics, I can tell why they named it the Green.

Glad you got out fishing. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Do you float the Green every year?

Yeah, and every year, my family out-fishes me. :haha:

accadacca
09-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Beautiful pictures. Looks like an epic trip. :popcorn:

offpiste
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Awesome! looks like you had the Green to yourself, even better.

Sombeech
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Awesome! looks like you had the Green to yourself, even better.

Actually, it was very crowded. We just split ourselves up very well.

REDFOX
09-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I should have went to the Geen this weekend instead of Daniels in Idaho. I only caught one 19" rainbow. The Green river is full of healthy rainbows and browns. Nice pics and Video.

JP
09-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Man, I love those clear rivers out there :2thumbs: That is some great visibility :nod:

chickenlicken
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Where do you find the time? Looks like a great trip and beautiful scenery.

Sombeech
09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Where do you find the time? Looks like a great trip and beautiful scenery.

Good question. :haha: I don't know, man. But I know I've been backing out of even more things this year too.

Yeah, the scenery made up for my poor fishing skills. Let's face it, I'm in it for the footage. :cool2:

JP
09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
I can't believe you're polluting that river with that denier PVC, so not environmentally sound :haha:

Sombeech
09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Well, I figured what the heck, after all, this was my catch of the day:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/green_river_08__23_.jpg

Last Child
09-30-2008, 09:39 AM
:2thumbs: :nod:

Alex
09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I was going to go down to Weber this weekend, but maybe i will make the longer drive. That looks too damn beautiful this time of the year!

PS: Justin, I am holding a grudge for not inviting the only water junky buddy you have :bootyshake:

Sombeech
09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
PS: Justin, I am holding a grudge for not inviting the only water junky buddy you have :bootyshake:

Sorry man, it was just family. :ne_nau:

I was thinking though how cool it would be to fish from your canoe. You could do all the rowing, and I could be fishing. :haha:

Alex
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM
I took Hernandez and his bro in law down the river a couple of times....

tallsteve
09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Nice pics, 'beach! One of my favorite places in Utah. This is a good time of year to fish there. Now's the time to try a big 'ol grasshopper or cicada on top with maybe a scud or hare's ear on a dropper. The fish are attracted to the big fly on the surface but usually take the scud trailing behind and underwater on the dropper. If you can coax them into taking the big fly on top, the fish hit it with abandon!

Alex
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Is there an alternative way of fishing there (not fly fish)?

I am not much of a fly fisherman, but will take my 5 year old boy down there and float the river like Justin suggested.... what would you guys recommend?

LOAH
09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
No bait or scent is allowed, whatsoever.

Using a maribou jig, spinners, rapalas, etc is perfectly legal.

You might get some dirty looks from the dry fly purists, but screw them and have fun with your kid.

Make sure to study the strict regulations carefully before going.

From the proc:

[quote]GREEN RIVER (Carbon, Daggett, Emery, Grand, San Juan, Uintah and Wayne counties)
(a) From confluence with Colorado River upstream to Colorado state line in Dinosaur National Monument:
Channel catfish limit 24.

tallsteve
09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, the 'elitist' fly fishermen bug me too and I'm a fly fisherman. Whatever works-use. I'm old enough to remember fishing below the dam in the early seventies before all the regulations. Pretty much anything was legal- worms, cheese, salmon eggs, whatever. We'd go there nearly every year for scouts and would catch a TON of fish! At that time the water came from the bottom of the dam and was so cold the fish wouldn't live through the year so they were all small planters. After the water flow from the dam was changed to warmer top water, the fish got bigger, became more plentiful and thus the regulation changes to artificial lures only.
'Beech, did you see any of the river otters they've transplanted there? Fun critters to watch if you're lucky enough to see them.

Sombeech
10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
'Beech, did you see any of the river otters they've transplanted there? Fun critters to watch if you're lucky enough to see them.

I didn't, but my mom did. She says there were about 5 of them together.