PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5d Mark II

tmartenst
09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Rumors are no longer. Looks like I need to start saving!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkii.asp

R
09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Rumors are no longer. Looks like I need to start saving!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkii.asp

Shoot with what you have. Buying new technology all the time is just chasing your tail.

bbennett
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
$2,700 minimum for a camera? :dropmouth: Too rich for my blood.

JP
09-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Rumors are no longer.
Nice Avi :lol8:

Win
09-22-2008, 05:07 AM
I've got a 5D and I ain't changing. What Richard said is so true, all the technology in the world won't make me a better photographer.

Win

DWayne27
09-22-2008, 09:27 AM
so what about the canon g10? right now i have a 3 year old pentax 6 mp... i am thinking a g10 might help my picture quality a little bit and it isnt too expensive. i was thinking of going the SLR route... but i dont want to carry something too big and heavy (and expensive) into slot canyons. i met a guy who takes his g9 and gets great shots, so i am thinking the g10 will be the route i take... plus it will be a lot easier to convince the wife to spend that kind of money...

Redpb
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
21MP! 310 maximum burst at 3.9 frames per sec. Does it come with a firewire belt clip hard drive?

Honestly I would probably suck more as a photographer with all of those options. Now, there are only 6 presets but 25 custom functions with 71 settings in 4 groups. I would just screw that thing up.
I think the only thing missing from that was night vision.

tmartenst
09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Richard, I am retiring from my ski bum years so I can now just afford such a camera. I previously chased mediocre but affordable cameras.

Completely agree about the talent to technology ratio but you can't argue that the latter helps. I have already determined my talent, now I need tech. Since I see photos everyday in my mind I suppose I don't need a camera at all, or I could just go back to my manual Canon AE-1 or Nikon FM10. For most casual photographers, the camera is a waste. For me it is an investment and something I can hold on to for years. Time to grow out of my Digital Rebel XTi. This camera is more expensive than my truck....and I bought that 5 years ago and have totaled it since. All about priorities right?

Win, I wouldn't change if I already had a 5D either! I almost bought a 5D last year but decided to wait. This 5D Mark II is the same price as the 5D a few years ago.

DWayne27 - The Canon G10 is a pretty amazing camera for the weight. It has many pro options and I would recommend it for sure. I had a Canon G6 a few years ago, took it everywhere and it held up to everything.

I'd like to think a few of the photos on my site are decent and damnit I enjoyed shooting every one of them, but I think it is time to sack up and get a better camera. Happy shooting

R
09-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Richard, I am retiring from my ski bum years so I can now just afford such a camera. I previously chased mediocre but affordable cameras.

I believe that when a new camera is introduced, it's the perfect time to buy the camera it replaced, since it will be at close-out prices. Also, don't sell your XTi short - it's a very capable camera, particularly if you put good lenses on it.

tmartenst
09-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Agreed with both points. The 5D has been discounted for most of this year. The XTi has treated me well, as will the 5D Mark II!

Redpb
09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Agreed with both points. The 5D has been discounted for most of this year. The XTi has treated me well, as will the 5D Mark II!

I don't think he's going to be persuaded from this.

p.s. when you get it can I touch? :naughty:

JP
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
p.s. when you get it can I touch? :naughty:
:haha: :haha: :haha:

tmartenst
09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Nah, I won't be persuaded. I could always procrastinate and say it will go down in price but I did that with the last one. This time I am pulling the trigger.

Good conversation for those that are on the border though.

You can all touch my camera when I get it.

BTW, people gladly spend this same type of money on bikes and other outdoor gear. This is just a piece I need to spend my money on.

R
09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Nah, I won't be persuaded. I could always procrastinate and say it will go down in price but I did that with the last one. This time I am pulling the trigger.

Good conversation for those that are on the border though.

You can all touch my camera when I get it.

BTW, people gladly spend this same type of money on bikes and other outdoor gear. This is just a piece I need to spend my money on.

I don't want you to think I disapprove. Just my @.02 on the whole megapixel chase. I hope you enjoy your camera very much. :nod:

JP
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
BTW, people gladly spend this same type of money on bikes and other outdoor gear.
Ain't that the truth :nod:

KapitanSparrow
09-24-2008, 06:39 AM
so what about the canon g10? right now i have a 3 year old pentax 6 mp... i am thinking a g10 might help my picture quality a little bit and it isnt too expensive. i was thinking of going the SLR route... but i dont want to carry something too big and heavy (and expensive) into slot canyons. i met a guy who takes his g9 and gets great shots, so i am thinking the g10 will be the route i take... plus it will be a lot easier to convince the wife to spend that kind of money...

What?! They came out with G10? And G9, G8, G7, G6 too? Damn, that makes my G5 absolete :ne_nau:

CarpeyBiggs
09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Technology can make better images. I spent the last week photographing the rut in Denali, and you can't tell me that a camera that can shoot clean ISO 3200 images wouldn't make my pictures better... Or shoot at ISO 25600...

The other way to think of it... All of my lenses just got two stops faster. That is easily worth $2700.

R
09-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Technology can make better images. I spent the last week photographing the rut in Denali, and you can't tell me that a camera that can shoot clean ISO 3200 images wouldn't make my pictures better... Or shoot at ISO 25600...

The other way to think of it... All of my lenses just got two stops faster. That is easily worth $2700.

Is a tmartenst a professional photographer like we are? Having top gear often (but not always) benefits a pro, but can sometimes be a waste on hobbyists. The students I teach have very sophisticated cameras but have difficulty grasping the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. The chase for better cameras is wasted on them. I guess my point is that if you need it, the best new camera can benefit you, but that most people, maybe 99% of the people, can't take advantage of it, so it's a waste of their money. And $2700 is a LOT of money.

tmartenst
09-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I have been published in Backpacker Magazine, Running Times, Ultra Runner (cover shot) and have had shots used as advertising for outdoor companies, resorts, online retailers, etc. I am not a pro but shot with all manual cameras for years and know my way around all aspects of the camera. I do sell my photography but have a day job which I foresee myself staying at for years to come unless my photography takes me somewhere I want to be.

As I mentioned earlier, the technology warning works for those who jump at shiny new things. That is not me.

I know many golfers who could heed your warning. If you can't hit the ball, the new $300 club will not help you.

JP
09-28-2008, 11:28 PM
If you can't hit the ball, the new $300 club will not help you.
Nice way of putting it :haha: