PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Heaplay

mma
09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
The suggestion of Heaplay came about last summer about 2 weeks after doing Heaps and Imlay within a few weeks of each other. At the time we thought it would be a good idea and that it would truly test our skills and endurance. Halfway up Angels Landing for the second time in 100 degree heat we were all cursing the idea.

At 1:30 AM on August 23, after about 6 months of planning and excitement, me, my 2 brothers, and our good friend began our mission to complete Heaps and Imlay in one sitting. The weekend before the big trek we headed down to do the full Imlay because we had never seen the upper portion before and didn

tanya
09-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Wonderful report and photos!!!! :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
09-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Wow, sweet trip report! Nicely done, guys. :2thumbs:

Watch out for the helmet police... :haha:

Scott Card
09-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Sweet! and nicely done. :2thumbs: I am with you on the "fin of death" That by far is the worst place for me also. Kudos on your time particularly with a half full Imlay and making the trek up twice. That trek once with full packs is enough for me. Ahhh to be young again. I am always up for Imlay or Heaps but I have yet to talk myself into this sort of Jihad in one day. I know if I ever do this, I will start from the top first. There is nothing quite like sunrise in Heaps canyon. Although I sounds like you were in the narrows when the sunrise happened? Anyway, great job. I hope to do Imlay again soon. I can't believe I haven't done Heaps this year. Bad year for canyoneering for me. Too much work and not enough time in the canyons.

Scott Card
09-18-2008, 09:17 AM
BTW, for those who haven't lugged a full canyoneering pack complete with wetsuit, gear...etc. from the Grotto up the West Rim trial, you probably can't fully appreciate what these guys did. To do that hike twice in 24 hours, well.... more power to them. Did you have two sets of gear? Stash any gear for Imlay prior to doing it or did you use the same pack, stuff for both canyons?

mma
09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
The first time up we carried an extra set of ropes. We really didn't want to carry wet ropes back up that thing. When we ate lunch we spread our wetsuits out on the pavement and they were almost completely dry by the time we packed them back up. Our biggest weight was the water. It was so hot that we all carried about a gallon each. We lightened that load in a hurry though, drinking often.

Jaxx
09-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Very cool TR. That is definitely more canyons than I am ready for. Props to you guys, you must be in great shape. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
VERRRRRRRRRY IMPRESSIVE!!!!! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the detailed report. I think The Emporer did Heaps+Imlay in 24 hrs a little while ago, but I'm uncertain which route they took.

BTW - are you or your brothers engineers? It sounded like you guys meticulously planned everything out very well. :five:

trackrunner
09-18-2008, 11:31 AM
VERRRRRRRRRY IMPRESSIVE!!!!! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the detailed report. I think The Emporer did Heaps+Imlay in 24 hrs a little while ago, but I'm uncertain which route they took.

Sure did

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0609jihad/index.htm

mma
09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I was unaware that Tom had done that. I just checked out that link. Looks like they had a great trip and did essentially the same thing we did, except they started from the top for Heaps and found someone willing to run a shuttle for them. If you can, I would say that is the way to go. I was glad to see that they looked as tired as we did.

No engineers in our group, we just didn't want to make a mistake and get ourselves into trouble, so we tried to overprepare. Obviously, when it comes to canyons, one small storm or change in whether can completely change the conditions, but we figured it wouldn't hurt to have a solid plan going in.

mrbrejcha
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
We had a great time, in a weird sort of way. The more time that passes, the more fun it was.

Ahh, retro-spective fun, the best kind!

ratagonia
09-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I was unaware that Tom had done that. I just checked out that link. Looks like they had a great trip and did essentially the same thing we did, except they started from the top for Heaps and found someone willing to run a shuttle for them. If you can, I would say that is the way to go. I was glad to see that they looked as tired as we did.

No engineers in our group, we just didn't want to make a mistake and get ourselves into trouble, so we tried to overprepare. Obviously, when it comes to canyons, one small storm or change in whether can completely change the conditions, but we figured it wouldn't hurt to have a solid plan going in.

Congratulations - good fun!

Tom

Randi
09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
The suggestion of Heaplay came about last summer about 2 weeks after doing Heaps and Imlay within a few weeks of each other. At the time we thought it would be a good idea and that it would truly test our skills and endurance. Halfway up Angels Landing for the second time in 100 degree heat we were all cursing the idea.

OMG~ you guys are crazy!
But a big :2thumbs: for such a feat!
I got exhausted just reading about it!

Funny too how you guys were falling asleep while walking! :roflol:

shaggy125
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Funny too how you guys were falling asleep while walking! :roflol:

As long as you weren't falling asleep while setting up the rappels! That could get ugly.

ratagonia
09-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Very cool TR. That is definitely more canyons than I am ready for. Props to you guys, you must be in great shape. :2thumbs:

yada yada yada ... Helmets, gentlemen????? ... harumph, harumph, harumph...

:moses:

Tom (self-appointed policeman of Helmet use)