PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a '99 4runner

Wasatch Rebel
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking about buying this '99 4runner. The thing is, it sounds good on paper, although the girl wants a bunch more for it than Edmunds says it should sell for. I haven't seen it yet except for in pictures, as the owner lives in Payson, and I live in Kearns, so I want to make sure it's worth driving down there for. Anyway, after asking a bunch of questions, I'm thinking it's probably worth looking at in person, and probably worth offering money on. I don't buy cars very often, but I usually buy from a private owner instead of a dealer and I (with one exception) have always bought used. So last time I bought a car, I drove it home from the person's house that I bought it from, and got pulled over by a cop. I hadn't licensed it, nor had I gotten insurance on it, because I hadn't owned it until the night I drove it home. So, what I'm asking is, how is this done? I don't want to get pulled over again, but the long distance commute is problematic. Also, she still owes money on the vehicle, so how does that work? Will I have to meet her at her bank and together we pay off the vehicle and I get the title?

accadacca
09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, you gotta meet her at the bank and get the title. The cops gotta understand that you need to get it home and registered too. You don't have a friggin' choice. Getting pulled over on the way home is bad luck. :lol8:

Owes money on a '99? WTF.

JP
09-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Right from your State's DMV.

When purchasing from a private seller, you may obtain a temporary permit from any DMV office by presenting the signed title, proof of insurance and picture identification and paying all required registration and permit fees. The permit fee is $6.00 and is valid for 15 days. The permit allows the new owner to operate a vehicle on the highways while the vehicle's permanent registration process is being completed. All required fees for titling and registering the vehicle are due at the time of obtaining the permit.

Here's the link to your DMV website: UTAH DMV (http://dmv.utah.gov/index.html)

She still owes, you should find out how much she owes and maybe the check should be made out to the bank on the note. (The rest to her, if that is the case) She doesn't hold the title, the bank that gave her the loan does. You need to have that title signed over to you. I hate these type transactions. You're giving her the money to free herself from this loan. You need a good paper trail to insure you don't get screwed.

Wasatch Rebel
09-18-2008, 05:54 AM
You need a good paper trail to insure you don't get screwed.

Yeah I know. I hate these types of transactions too.

Owes money on a '99? WTF

Well, I think she may have bought it used, probably paid more than she should've for it, put it on a five year plan, and still owes a couple of years.