PDA

View Full Version : All of my music is gone!

bbennett
09-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I just totally screwed myself. I was trying to free up some space on my computer and figured that I don't need Quicken, so deleting it seemed like a good way to trim some of the fat. Well unfortunately, I deleted QuickTime instead. Apparently, iTunes requires QuickTime to run and I have to reinstall itunes now. 95% of my music was on iTunes.
Dear God, what have I done? :kboom:

rockgremlin
09-12-2008, 08:20 AM
can't you just re-install itunes and then dump all of the music from your ipod back into itunes?

bbennett
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I just have a 8 gig Ipod nano.

Last Child
09-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Oh man, that sucks.

Back up. Always back up your important files. I too have learned that the hard way.

bbennett
09-12-2008, 08:31 AM
I know, I know. Just too lazy sometimes, I guess.

To make matters worse, I just downloaded the new Kings of Leon album and was just starting to groove to it.

Redpb
09-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Did the QuikTime folder contain your iTunes library?

DiscGo
09-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey you aren't screwed yet. You can recover almost any deleted files.

Don't install anything else on the PC until we recover your data.

I'm going to get you a file recovery program. PM me with questions.

bbennett
09-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Apparently, you can't open Itunes without it. I just get a message that says; "QuickTime was not found. QuickTime is required to run iTunes. Please reinstall iTunes."

Redpb
09-12-2008, 08:46 AM

Apparently, you can't open Itunes without it. I just get a message that says; "QuickTime was not found. QuickTime is required to run iTunes. Please reinstall iTunes."

shouldn't you be able to move all of your library to another subfolder, re-install iTunes, move the music back and then have itunes search for music again.
Should be under, or something close to this
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

abirken
09-12-2008, 08:52 AM
I think I've done that before and reinstalled it and it all came back. Dude, you can't do this. We have a song game to play!!!! Get busy fixing it. :2thumbs: :lol8:

DiscGo
09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
shouldn't you be able to move all of your library to another subfolder, re-install iTunes, move the music back and then have itunes search for music again.
Should be under, or something close to this
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

Makes sense. Have you tried browsing to the folder location to see if it is still there? Or just doing a simple windows search for your music?

bbennett
09-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Do you know of a way that I could do that without being able to open my iTunes library? Oh wait, you just gave me a great idea, my downloads file! I think most of it should still be there.
Okay, just checked. There's still a lot of music there, but not nearly as much as I had in my library. Thanks Red, you just helped out a bunch.

Quick side note; if you misspell the word "wait" by leaving out the letter "i", spell check suggest the word "twat" but not "wait". I found that way too funny to not mention.

Last Child
09-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Windows explorer to search your entire drive. Copy-Paste etc. Very simple.

bbennett
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I think I've done that before and reinstalled it and it all came back. Dude, you can't do this. We have a song game to play!!!! Get busy fixing it. :2thumbs: :lol8:

Don't think that wasn't one of the first things to cross my mind :lol8:

Redpb
09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Windows explorer to search your entire drive. Copy-Paste etc. Very simple.
click search
all files and folders
advanced options
select mp3, AAC, etc...
you'll get a bunch of useless crap but it should get ya your main folders

R
09-12-2008, 09:08 AM
I am not sure about it on a PC, but on my Mac the iTunes application stores the music files in a folder, not integrated in the app. Find that folder (on Mac it's in the "Music" folder and called "iTunes Music" and move it to somewhere like your desktop. Reinstall iTunes, run it, then drag the music folde ron your desktop into the iTunes window. It will import all those files. Once you determine that iTunes has made copies (in the new "iTunes Music" folder, you can delete the one on your desktop, or better yet, copy it to an external hard drive as a backup.

That's the Mac procedure, anyway. Deleting QuickTime should not have touched your music files. Hope this helps. -R

Redpb
09-12-2008, 09:12 AM
It does the same on these confounded windows machines. It depends on his setting whether or not everything he plays gets copied into the itunes folder. As long as he pulls that folder out, he should be fine.

DiscGo
09-12-2008, 09:24 AM
***EDITED****

I'm glad you got it fixed. I have now taken down my link for that fix.

Cirrus2000
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, like most people are saying, there shouldn't be any problem with the music. It's not in your QuickTime folder, and deleting that folder won't lose your music.

Just install iTunes, and have it search for music when you first run it. It will all be there...

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

DiscGo
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
If you are at your PC right now, I can remotely login. Just let me know.

Just click here:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=110965

bbennett
09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
SWEET! I just reinstalled it and all of my music is there. Thanks a bunch to everyone for your concern.

Kev, you speak as if you have experienced this before.

DiscGo, as tempting as it is to have you remotely log in to my computer, I'll have to take you up on that offer some other time :wink:

Thanks again guys.

DiscGo
09-12-2008, 10:06 AM
DiscGo, as tempting as it is to have you remotely log in to my computer, I'll have to take you up on that offer some other time :wink:

That is something I'll miss about my current job is my free access to LogMeIn Rescue. I really love this program!

JP
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Whoopsie :eek2: Hey, you can look at it this way :naughty: You freed up some space...I know, that was wrong.

greyhair biker
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Glad to see you recovered this. I was just about to send you a sympathy card and flowers :mrgreen: I think I'd have gone ballistic if it'd of happened to me. What a cool network we have! :five: