PDA

View Full Version : Headphones/Music while Riding - Opinions wanted

Kent K25
09-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Any time I ride by myself I almost always have my headphones in with music going on the ipod. It has never been an issue until yesterday and I have no idea how much of an issue it actually was.

I have never seen another rider on a trail until yesterday where I had three people coming the opposite direction from me (in random intervals). No problem, I stopped for an uphill rider and the other two times they stopped for me as I was going uphill. Glad they share my same school of thought since it SUCKS to stop while going uphill.

BUT another time on the trail I looked left and saw another rider, I pulled off the trail and let him pass. Then I wondered....how long has he been there. He probably warned me ahead of time with an "on your left" or something like that. I wouldn't have heard it if he did.

So....what do you do? One headphone, no headphones, and why?

I understand the no music, just listen to nature argument, but on these St. George desert trails there is nothing to hear besides your tires on the dirt/rocks. I just like riding with music.

Any recommendations?

Oh and feel free to let me know I'm a pea brain for riding while listening to music. I won't be offended, but I probably won't stop either. When I ride in groups I don't listen to music, but alone I always do.

denaliguide
09-07-2008, 05:18 PM
crank em up. :rockon: :rockon: unless your listening to zamfir

blueeyes
09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I have a pair of headphones that I cut the left ear bud off of, so when riding in traffic I can hear the cars. I haven't listened to music while riding on the trail yet, but I would still use them so I can hear other things around me. I am slow going up hill and would want to know if I was in someones way.

But it wouldn't bother me if I came across someone who had them in, I would just wait patiently until they realized I was there. I get the "wanting to get lost in the music" as you go thing. The funny thing is when you scare someone who has the music up and have no clue you are there. Even when you try to be gentle and not scare them. LOL!!!

I had a couple close encounters skiing where me and the other people envolved both had ear phones in and just didn't hear each other. My peripheral with goggles and a helmt on isn't so hot. LOL! Anyway, just decided that I would like to hear what is around me and my music.

I would say if generally you never encounter anyone, you are fine.

Sombeech
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I wear them from time to time, but I also wear a little helmet mirror to help me see if somebody's behind me.

KAH
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I always find myself going too fast and running off the trail when I listen to music.

blueeyes
09-07-2008, 08:25 PM
And you laugh at me for falling over like a turtle! :roflol:

Kent K25
09-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I always find myself going too fast and running off the trail when I listen to music.

Haha, funny thing is, half the time I stop to rest and realize that I haven't really been "hearing" the music at all. I think it's just my ADD distraction on the trail.

blueeyessmiling - I like the cutting off a headphone Idea, I sometimes just let one hang but it drives me crazy because it pulls on the other ear.

beech - how distracting is that little mirror?

shaggy125
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I wear headphones while snowboarding all the time and just hang one earbud behind my ear when I want to hear whats around me but keep the other in so I can hear the music. This saves me from having to cut one off and the beanie helps keep the bud from falling off my ear. I'd guess the helmet would do the same thing.

Gixxer
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
came upon a rider Friday on the Green Pond
me: "hey, hows it going"
blank look
"any other riders coming?"
blank look
"ok then, enjoy your music"

:roll:

catch22
09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Being part of the non-headphone crowd I 've got to admit they can be pretty irritating at times. I'm not a racer or anything so I'm not really concerned about my pace or heartrate or anything like that, just hate to get stuck behind someone who is completely oblivious that someone behind them would like to get by. I'd actually like to listen to music on the trail or snowboarding but haven't yet just because I don't want to be 'that guy' but I try to be understanding about it. For 10-15 seconds I'll usually follow hoping they hear or see me and if that doesn't work I'll usually just be content to take a break and hope I don't catch them a few minutes later. I have heard stories of people that are much less patient, buzzing tires, shoving their way past, etc.

FWIW, I have way more issues with joggers than bikers, especially on the shoreline trail. Always love the dirty looks I get when a jogger is startled because they couldn't hear you yelling "one coming up behind you" or "mind if I go by." Think an air horn strapped to the handlebar would work?

Kent K25
09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all the opinions. I'll probably just skip the music when I'm on the busier trails (bearclaw poppy) and just listen to it on the rest of them.