PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Tripod Suggestions?

DiscGo
09-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok. Now that I finally have my camera and have entered the world of better cameras, I'm not sure if I should pick up a hiking tripod or not? I have a tripod that compacts to be pretty small, but I wasn't sure if there were a tripod that you guys would recommend for hiking.

sparker1
09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
You can pay a lot for a carbon fiber tri-pod, or just get a solid, inexpensive tri-pod that isn't too heavy but will support the heaviest lens/body combination you expect to have. You also need to decide whether you want a ball head or a pan & tilt. Quick release is a good feature to have.

B & H has a real variety of tri-pods.

R
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
If I carry a tripod at all, it's small enough to fit in the pocket of my vest, which is a Domke photo vest. Even then, I seldom use it except for video. I find that tripods don't fit my style very well - which is very journalistic (obviously, since I am a professional photojournalist.) I'd rather deal with high-ISO noise later than deal with a tripod on the trail.

The vest-pocket tripod I have currently actually came from Radio Shack of all places.

DiscGo
09-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Both of these posts were very helpful. Thanks fellas!

DWayne27
09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
what about gorilla pods? i am looking at those and looking and joining the 'world of better cameras'

RedMan
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Gorilla pods work okay. If you get one get the larger version.
I use for hanging the video cam in trees and the lower branches tend to be larger, needing a bigger Gorilla.

JP
09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Disc, have you thought of a monopod?

DiscGo
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I've thought about it, but I really like getting pictures of people and I like the idea of being able to get pictures of my wife and I together (as we usually are out hiking alone).

Win
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Congratulations on the new camera, I think you'll really enjoy it. If you haven't been you should go here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

That's a Forum for Canon owners. Stan and I both post there. Go to accessories and search "hiking tripod". more info than you'll ever need.

Win

Mtnman1830
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.directconsumersales.com.au/images/TPGPSLR.jpg

I purchased a Gorilla tripod this spring, and have only used it once. If I am taking pix of myself, it has been done with the camera at arm's legnth.

I usually forget that I am packing the tripod around anyway.