PDA

View Full Version : Money or Time off

Canyons12
09-04-2008, 11:27 AM
job A: pays quite well, mediocre benefits, full time, mon - friday, 240 days a year.

job B: pays significantly less ($15,000/year) than job A, awesome benefits, full time, mon - thurs, 188 days a year.

please tell me why you chose one option over the other, thanks.

DWayne27
09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
if i could afford a 15K a year pay cut i would take job B in a heartbeat...

sparker1
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
It depends. When I was young, I took the longer hours/greater pay route. After my family was grown, I chose the less work/more recreation route. Never regretted either move.

blueeyes
09-04-2008, 11:49 AM
B!

I have a job like that right now. I could be making at the very least $13,000 more in my industry then I am in education. But I lose all flexibility. I am a single mom, my kids are my sole responsibility I don't have the luxury of the other parent. So if they need me, I have to be able to go at a moments notice. Plus this summer I had an awesome schedule I only worked Tues - Thur can't beat that.

Kent K25
09-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Agreed, totally depends on how low that $15k salary drops me.

I got my degree in mechanical engineering but decided to ditch the money and do something I'd actually enjoy. So I'm teaching Math/Science and coaching basketball.

I'd say that's more work and even more than a $15k pay cut.

rockgremlin
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM

I got my degree in mechanical engineering but decided to ditch the money and do something I'd actually enjoy. So I'm teaching Math/Science and coaching basketball.

Hats off to ya. The market's hot for mechanical engineers right now. How do you manage to pay a mortgage in St. George on a teacher's salary? Wow! By the way - how's that teaching gig coming along?

Felicia
09-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I have Job A. I work no overtime. I have a schedule that is fixed. I can plan ahead most of the time to get to do the things I want to do.

If I had Job B, my husband would have to get a job and then I would have to do something besides work and surf the internet. :roflol: :roflol:

Besides, when I'm done working, I do not want to have to work....at least for a couple of years.

Off to get lunch so I will not be grouchy at work this afternoon.

:popcorn:

Canyons12
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
great responses everybody! keep em coming!

those two that voted for job A -- would you consider yourself a work-a-holic? (Work is what really motivates and drives you, and you derive a lot of satisfaction from your performance at work. In fact, you look forward to going to work on a regular basis).

greyhair biker
09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I spent several DECADES in job B's before I found job A. I have not regretted it but for the 12hr swingshifts :haha: I have always had some kind of business on the side to make more...you get used to that when you've HAD to do it to make ends meet. Now I have the side business(bikeshop) to prepare for retirement cause no one can stay in the mining industry til retirement and still be able to ENJOY it when you get there. I'll 'retire' from mining, move someplace warm and open up another bikeshop to keep me 'busy' so I don't keel over with boredom and die :haha:

(btw...I only work half the year...4days on 5 days off 5days on 4days off)

Felicia
09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
great responses everybody! keep em coming!

those two that voted for job A -- would you consider yourself a work-a-holic? (Work is what really motivates and drives you, and you derive a lot of satisfaction from your performance at work. In fact, you look forward to going to work on a regular basis).

Why the interest?

I like my job. I refuse to work overtime, and really, there is no overtime. I like structure. I have been working since I was 12...it would be nice to take a break for a year or two, but I see myself always working somewhere, doing something. Besides, if I did not work, I would go back to school - now that would be REAL work. :mrgreen:

:popcorn:

Canyons12
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Why the interest?

because I work at job A, and an opening for a job B just barely opened up.

I wonder which is more difficult -- working at job B and going to job A (like greyhair), or vice versa?

greyhair biker
09-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Why the interest?

because I work at job A, and an opening for a job B just barely opened up.

I wonder which is more difficult -- working at job B and going to job A (like greyhair), or vice versa?
:ne_nau: most people change careers at least two to three times in their lives. I'm on #2 or #3 depending on how you look at it. WHatever it is make sure you get satisfaction in what you do or it just won't matter really...they are all JOBBS if you make them. Find something you can be happy doing...that is all that really matters.

DWayne27
09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
WHatever it is make sure you get satisfaction in what you do or it just won't matter really...they are all JOBBS if you make them. Find something you can be happy doing...that is all that really matters.

I have heard of this before... people who really enjoy their jobs. Am i just lazy and not ambitious or something, because i think i would have a hard time finding a job that would pay me to do the things that make me happy.... not that i have a hard job or i hate my life or anything- i am just working for the weekend everyday

DWayne27
09-04-2008, 01:43 PM
and because i just work for the weekend- that is why i would choose job B. the weekend gets here faster and stays longer...

Sombeech
09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a job with the School District.

Last Child
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I would have to know what the difference in benefits are. Medical, dental, eye, company vehicle, gas, etc. ? A lot can be said for benefits. Also is there overtime pay available. Is it salary?

Also job satisfaction. I would rather take less pay but love my job than hate my job and have more cash.

I like to work and work hard and love my job. I would never take a salary positioned job over an hourly position with overtime possibilities doing the job that I currently do. Working 10 hour days is nothing and the extra 10 hours a week at time and a half adds up. I have friends who think that their salary jobs are great until they have to put in overtime without pay then they bitch and moan.

I'm a self employed workaholic. I usually work 6 days a week. 5 of those are usually 12 - 14 hour days. But I love my job. If I want more money I just work more. Also working at home helps alot on the long ass days.

TreeHugger
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm all for the time off. Although, I really have the best of all worlds, IMO. I teach, have been for 20 years so I get paid quite well, and I have killer benefits. THEN, I work 190 days a year on top of it!! Oh yeah, I love what I do as well (although, if I could do it over again, I'd be an archeologist). Yep, life is good. :nod:

Kent K25
09-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Hats off to ya. The market's hot for mechanical engineers right now. How do you manage to pay a mortgage in St. George on a teacher's salary? Wow! By the way - how's that teaching gig coming along?

Luckily we don't have a mortgage to pay, or rent for that matter at this point. My parents will be retiring to St. George in 2 years but they already purchased their retirement home here. That's where we're living until they get here.

So we're putting away money for the down payment/mortgage that are to come. Plus...my wife is an Accountant.