08-30-2008, 10:12 AM
It's almost time for sunflower seeds, grape juice, and raisins also. :2thumbs:

@10 full sized Roma Tomatoes
1 hot pepper, either jalapeno or chile pepper
@ 1/2 a purple onion
@ 10 Cilantro tops
@ 3 cloves of garlic
@ Tablespoon of salt

I like mine blended almost to a paste, like Chili's Restaurant style.

Usually I'm eating the Santitas White Corn chips, but these lime Tostitos are great too.

I'm guessing that's 1/2 of a gallon of salsa there. :2thumbs:

I've got 12 tomato plants, 4 Jalapeno plants, and 4 Chile Pepper plants. We've already bottled about 10 jars already, using a different recipe, but this is my favorite.

JP
08-30-2008, 10:29 AM
You didn't need the salt :mrgreen:

Looks good other than that :haha:

Kent K25
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Our neighbor made us some homemade salsa last week and it was great. I can't imagine how much better it might be with all your home grown ingredients.

Looks good!

Sombeech
08-30-2008, 01:32 PM
You know, last year we grew all of our own stuff; Cilantro, onions, garlic.... Sure you get that satisfaction, but man, it just ain't worth it to grow certain crops.

Like this year and Broccoli. Sure it was good, but of the whole row we planted, there were probably only 10 stalks that we ate. It was just space that could have produced more food from different plants.

KapitanSparrow
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Post your sunflowers :2thumbs: I love raw sunflower seeds.

greyhair biker
08-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Dude. That's exactly what I have my greenhouse for! I LOVE homemade salsa, and our super chiles and tabascos are exceptionally hot this year!
...I grow several varieties of peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, etc.

Kent K25
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh man, I can't handle the hot stuff. I'm a total pansy when it comes to hot salsa.

greyhair biker
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh man, I can't handle the hot stuff. I'm a total pansy when it comes to hot salsa.
I had one of the snoopy neighbor kids take a big bite out of a super chili yesterday...MAN, I shoulda had a camera for that one! :roflol:

Mtnman1830
08-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Thats great. My mom just made 151 pints of salsa. Can't wait to get started on them. :2thumbs:

Deathcricket
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh man that is awesome! Way to go on the super veggie action. I'm starting a hydoponics setup myself with some lettuce and cucumbers. I'll have to post some pics also when it gets going.

/Hijack

That reminds me.... My first year grapes are coming in super tiny. I'm not sure if it's the heat here in STG or not enough water or fertilizer or not established enough roots. Anyone of you super veggie doods knows about grapes? They taste good at least.

greyhair biker
08-31-2008, 12:21 PM
You inspired my craving for salsa!

Sombeech
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Anyone of you super veggie doods knows about grapes? They taste good at least.

What kind are they? Usually, grapes will not produce on a stalk unless it's at least 1 year old, most likely a browned vine.

I haven't had to water mine too much, but when I do, I use Miracle Gro

These will turn light purple when they're ready to eat. They're already sweet, but we'll be juicing them and making raisins. They are the Suffolk grape, seedless.

Great for shade too, if you plant them on a trellis.

greyhair biker
08-31-2008, 02:39 PM
...we gave up on grapes...too harsh up here, but we come to the big valley each year to pic grapes - concords mostly - foe homemade jam. YUM

offpiste
08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
:slobber: :bandit: mmmmm SALSA and Guacamoli!!!

blueeyes
08-31-2008, 06:29 PM
You guys are making me jealous!! All of that looks so good.

I love the pic of greyhairs wife hiding her nose!! :roflol: I have the same garlic press, nothing beats fresh garlic and pampered chef rocks!

Beech you grapes are beautiful!!

Put fresh squeezed lime juice in homemade salsa! It gives added flavor.

Deathcricket
09-01-2008, 08:32 AM
What kind are they? Usually, grapes will not produce on a stalk unless it's at least 1 year old, most likely a browned vine.

I haven't had to water mine too much, but when I do, I use Miracle Gro

These will turn light purple when they're ready to eat. They're already sweet, but we'll be juicing them and making raisins. They are the Suffolk grape, seedless.

Great for shade too, if you plant them on a trellis.

Ya I don't know what kind they are, they just came with the house. I think the landscaper just tossed them in since the area we live in is called "the vineyards". LOL. I know this is their first year though and they were planted a couple months before we bought the house. I guess i should be happy I got ANY grapes then.

Thanks for the advice, I will let them chill another year then give them the boot if they don't "perform". I love that trellasse(sp?) you built though, that's awesome man. I might be hitting you up for tips this winter on building something similar. They can provide some shade for my veggies next year. Woohoo!
:2thumbs:

accadacca
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Shit, now I need some salsa and chips. :bandit:

Sombeech
09-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will let them chill another year then give them the boot if they don't "perform". I love that trellasse(sp?) you built though, that's awesome man.

What color are they? Do they have seeds? I'd actually give them 2 more years. I specifically went after the seedless ones, and a type that are good right off of the vine. Some are only good in juice or raisins.

Technically, it's a Pergola that I built. :2thumbs:

Deathcricket
09-01-2008, 10:32 PM
They're green and seedless yeah. They seem to be almost lime green and then when they ripened up they turned almost golden/green. Yield was even pretty decent for how small the plants are too. Only complaint really is they are soo tiny. About the size of peas maybe? I'll try and remember to take a pic when I get home this weekend.

Pergola eh? Google time!
:2thumbs:

Sombeech
09-01-2008, 10:36 PM
About the size of peas maybe?

Could be the age of the vine. Are there a TON of grapes in the bunch, or maybe about 30? If there are a lot, they could be just the juicing kind, I don't think they're concord.

Gutpiler_Utahn
09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
:2thumbs: This is a fantastic thread. I've never made my own salsa, but when I go to Chili's, I tell them to treat the salsa like my drink. It should never get empty. :haha:

I have a fantastic recipe for guacamole that I'll have to write down next time I make it. Avocados, roma tomato, fresh garlic, mayo, cilantro, and salt/pepper. Sometimes I like to throw in a jalapeno for a little bite and added flavor. I just need to measure it for once. :ne_nau:

abirken
09-03-2008, 09:04 PM
My salsa recipe:
5 Roma tomatoes
1 large regular tomato
2 jalapenos with seeds left in
1 large Vidalia onion
1 huge handful of cilantro
2 limes squeezed fully
splash of spicy V8 juice
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic minced
dash oregano
dash sugar
dash cinammon

Chop it or pulverize it. Just get it all in the bowl, stir it together and yum!! If you want to change it up, chop some mango and toss it in. Or some corn kernels. Or some pineapple. Or you can even blacken the jalapenos or whatever peppers you choose to use over a mesquite wood fire on the pit, then chop them, throw them in. Gives the salsa a smokey flavor.

I also fry up my own corn tortilla chips. Makes me feel like I am in Mexico. Cut up triangles of corn tortillas and just fry to crispyness in your pan with Canola oil. Drain on paper towels. Salt to taste. It's just like they do it down South. :2thumbs:

UTJetdog
09-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Here is some good info. on grape cultivation: LINK (www.larrysagers.com/weeklyarticles/pruning_squeezes_more_grapes_out_of_vines_98-03-12.html)

That salsa and guac looks really good! :2thumbs:

accadacca
09-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Thats it! I gotta make some. :nod:

trackrunner
09-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I get this add while reading this thread

:slobber: :slobber1:

Sombeech
09-29-2008, 08:01 PM
again tonight. I'm not sure how many batches this is of fresh stuff, but we've got jars and jars of salsa for the rest of the year. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
is it annoying that I'm having so much salsa, again?

JP
10-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Looks good :2thumbs:

Don
10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I was inspired by this very thread a couple days ago and made my own. It turns out that two habanero peppers are too many and really burn coming out.
:kboom:

abirken
10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Now I'm hungry. Thanks guys.

accadacca
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
K, I am going to get some. Expect salsa all over my keyboard. :lol8:

abirken
10-08-2008, 09:35 PM

I think I'm with you on this one. Damn it's late. :haha:

accadacca
10-08-2008, 09:37 PM

I think I'm with you on this one. Damn it's late. :haha:
And I'm low on chip. Son of a bitch. :frustrated:

KapitanSparrow
10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
With so many of you making hundreds of your own salsa jars we should be able to establish a "Salsa for the hungry" fund whereby other Bogleyites could benefit, get a helping hand, heh. Chips we can buy or steal from a mexican restaurant.

JP
10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
My salsa recipe:
5 Roma tomatoes
1 large regular tomato
1 large Vidalia onion
2 limes squeezed fully
splash of spicy V8 juice
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic minced
dash oregano
dash sugar
dash cinammon
Great, no salt :2thumbs: I just maybe in the mood for this in a bit. Might go nice in an omelet :2thumbs:

abirken
10-08-2008, 09:41 PM
My salsa recipe:
5 Roma tomatoes
1 large regular tomato
1 large Vidalia onion
2 limes squeezed fully
splash of spicy V8 juice
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic minced
dash oregano
dash sugar
dash cinammon
Great, no salt :2thumbs: I just maybe in the mood for this in a bit. Might go nice in an omelet :2thumbs:

:slobber1: :slobber:

I'm going to make a small quesadilla with corn tortillas, cheese and salsa. Screw dieting.

JP
10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm going to make a small quesadilla with corn tortillas, cheese and salsa. Screw dieting.
:lol8: :lol8:

accadacca
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Shit, scrapping the bottom of the bag.

abirken
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
YUUUUUUMMMY so good. I'm a sucker for food. :lol8: Scott: sorry about the chip tragedy. That sucks when that happens. :haha:

Sombeech
10-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I've got another full bag and a half left of Santitas white corn chips

abirken
10-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I've got another full bag and a half left of Santitas white corn chips

yea just rub it in there Beech. I'm sure Scott appreciates that.

JP
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll do one better for Scott :lol8:

http://www.tostitos.com/images/products/pic_multigrain.jpg

abirken
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll do one better for Scott :lol8:

http://www.tostitos.com/images/products/pic_multigrain.jpg

Hey have you tried those multigrain ones? I haven't yet. :ne_nau:

JP
10-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Nope, just looked healthier :haha: