PDA

View Full Version : My Big Summer Project

accadacca
08-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Well since I just moved a few months ago, it has been a very busy summer getting settled again. So, I have had several projects going on and this might be the biggest.

I am building the kids (2 boys 5 & 2, girl 6 months) a new swing set and I thought it would be fun to chronicle the progress here on bogley! I will take pictures along the way and post them in this thread. Let me start with what I did to prepare for the swing set.

First: I started by taking out two trees and some raspberries from this area. Then I leveled the area and staked some weed blocker ground cover stuff down. Next I ordered 7 yards of sand and rented a little Kubota tractor to take it to this space. Once the sand was in I built a small retaining wall to (hopefully) keep the sand in the swing set area. Then it was time to start building. The manual says it takes two skilled workers 20-25 hours to build this unit. Hell, it has only been me so far and about half a day on Saturday, but I dont think I am a quarter of the way yet. :haha:

Here are a few pix:

abirken
08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
I admire you! If I saw those instructions along with all the parts and pieces, you'd need to check me in. Your kiddos are lucky to have you for a daddy!! :2thumbs: :five:

accadacca
08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I admire you! If I saw those instructions along with all the parts and pieces, you'd need to check me in. Your kiddos are lucky to have you for a daddy!! :2thumbs: :five:
Trust me, I might be checking in soon. :lol8:

The manual is 74 pages with 112 steps. :eek2:

BruteForce
08-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Trust me, I might be checking in soon. :lol8:

The manual is 74 pages with 112 steps. :eek2:

Good on you! I've built two of those in my life, and I've already taken both down to make room for an RV pad.

My boys are now 10 and 13 and no longer desire the playground. I'll post pictures of the new "fort" they play in today. Reminds me of an old Vietnam era guard tower. Took a full year to build. Has power, lights (solar) and three levels with the top having a locking latch.

accadacca
08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Yep, I was actually thinking about the day that I might take it down.

Hell. :roll:

abirken
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Yep, I was actually thinking about the day that I might take it down.

Hell. :roll:

If I took the time to build that like you are, my kids would have to sign a contract in BLOOD that they'd play in it till they were 18. :lol8:

accadacca
08-24-2008, 06:49 PM
If I took the time to build that like you are, my kids would have to sign a contract in BLOOD that they'd play in it till they were 18. :lol8:
Yeah no shit. :frustrated:

denaliguide
08-24-2008, 06:50 PM
way to go, dad! :2thumbs:

good luck keeping the sand in! :roflol:

offpiste
08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
good luck keeping the sand in! :roflol:[/quote]

and the cats out.....invest in big screened pooper scooper. I had too. mother was not happy when the first one came in asking, what is this.....

sparker1
08-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Good plan, except for the sand. Modern playgrounds (here) use ground up rubber, presumably from re-cycled tires. Have fun and let the kiddies help. I always let my boys help and they are now ready to tackle any construction or home repair project. (Serves them right.)

bbennett
08-25-2008, 07:19 AM
What a pain in the ass! I did that once before and I swore that I'd never do it again. I've never seen a more cryptic set of instructions in my life. It took me about a week to complete the one that I built.

Better you than me, man.

JP
08-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Wow :eek2: That's a lot of nuts, bolts and screws :eek2: Good luck :2thumbs:

accadacca
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Not much happened last night. I snapped a picture this morning. I had some dood come over and buy my old mtn bike and I got distracted with a few other things.

I did get the set into position, leveled, squared and plumb. Then I installed some braces and put the decking down. Next I'll be screwing the deck down.

**Yeah the sand was my wifes idea. :haha: My kids do love the beach though. The rubber tire stuff is dayham expensive, it might cost as much as a swing set to cover the area that I have.

bbennett
08-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Not much happened last night. I snapped a picture this morning. I had some dood come over and buy my old mtn bike and I got distracted with a few other things.

I did get the set into position, leveled, squared and plumb. Then I installed some braces and put the decking down. Next I'll be screwing the deck down.

**Yeah the sand was my wifes idea. :haha: My kids do love the beach though. The rubber tire stuff is dayham expensive, it might cost as much as a swing set to cover the area that I have.

Looking good, accadacca!

Deathcricket
08-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds like someone need to throw an "assembly" parteyyy. It's amazing what guys will do for a couple Coronas and some hawt dawgs. Bust it out man!
:2thumbs:

Or if you're LDS, maybe a nice glass of water. That's all the guys who helped me move would drink :P

accadacca
08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Or if you're LDS, maybe a nice glass of water. That's all the guys who helped me move would drink :P
Water! :lol8: Oh hell!

KapitanSparrow
08-27-2008, 07:36 AM
We could bring our own beer and a deck of cards to pass the time while AccaDacca works on his project.

accadacca
08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Got a little more framing done last night and I built the ladder. I also got it staked to the ground. Then I noticed that I am missing a bag of 2" lag bolts. :frustrated:

Anyway, I'll be back at it this morning (got the day off). The club (acca pent-:haha: ) house will be going up today among other things. :popcorn:

JP
08-28-2008, 09:09 AM
The club (acca pent-:haha: ) house
Will there be a bronze pole installed :roflol: :roflol:

Looking good :2thumbs:

accadacca
08-28-2008, 07:45 PM
And the "club house" construction is underway. Now I'll take PTO until Wednesday. :haha:

KapitanSparrow
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Things are coming along :2thumbs:

accadacca
09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Here is what I got done on Monday night when I got back in town. I only had a few hours in the evening. I got more handrail done, etc

I got a bunch done tonight, but I'll have to snap a picture in the morning.

abirken
09-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm a little disappointed as I don't see the bronze pole. I thought JP said something about a BRONZE POLE Scott. So what's up with this? HAHA! Just teasin! I admire how far you've come. When this is all done, we'd like to see the extremely happy smiles of your children! :2thumbs: :haha: :lol8:

accadacca
09-04-2008, 08:01 AM
I got all the railing done and the first floor decking . . .

The bronze pole goes in on Friday. :lol8:

abirken
09-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I got all the railing done and the first floor decking . . .

The bronze pole goes in on Friday. :lol8:

Party at Scotts house this Friday! Bogley Pole dancing! Who's in? :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Party at Scotts house this Friday! Bogley Pole dancing! Who's in? :lol8:

I'm a Bogley Pole and I am not making any promises as far as dancing, heh. :haha:

greyhair biker
09-04-2008, 01:25 PM
This is very cool Scott! I built one for my boys when they were young...large enough they could have sleepovers. It lasted for many years, til they tried to burn it down - I took it down then but they were teenagers :haha: They still talk about the stuff they used to do in that monster of a fort/swing/firepole/hideout...and they are in their twenties. Good Times! :2thumbs:

Jaxx
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
That is a big swing, but if you want your kids to really love you you would have spent three years, hundreds of hours and countless money on this

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=464_1220554970

accadacca
09-05-2008, 09:45 PM
That is a big swing, but if you want your kids to really love you you would have spent three years, hundreds of hours and countless money on this

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=464_1220554970
Yeah I saw that on the news too. :eek7:

accadacca
09-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I got a little more done yesterday before heading up to the Utah game. I finished the first floor railing, exterior walls, bench, trim, etc. Then I built the roof trusses and got them put on top. I think that's it. :ne_nau: I took a few pictures this time. I should be putting the roof shingles, etc on next time.

greyhair biker
09-07-2008, 02:03 PM
So does it have a firepole? I couldn't tell if your top beam was long enough to accomodate one. My kids though that was the coolest thing on their fort, aside from the trapdoor in the floor :haha:
I ended up putting splitlog siding slats on theirs for weathering purposes. The boys never wanted to leave the thing for years!

...ok, I just looked again a little closer...I guess you'd have to add a beam to do that pole. :ne_nau:

JP
09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
So does it have a firepole? I couldn't tell if your top beam was long enough to accomodate one.
Fire pole :haha: I hope no drunk adults get any ideas in front of the kiddies :mrgreen:

accadacca
09-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Got a little done last night. I will finally be putting shingles on next time. Then its on the the slide on the right side and a tunnel with swings underneath and a climbing wall on the left.

Jaxx
09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
looking good. It's going pretty fast for one guy working on it.

LOAH
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Wow, that thing is HUGE!

See how small that dump truck looks next to it?
:eek2:

That's a HELL of a project. Neat-O.

Good on ya.

abirken
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey Scott, got any rooms for rent? I prefer a smaller room, close to the outdoors........a little sand is always nice. :lol8: That's a serious playhouse. Did you have to get a building permit from the county? :lol8:

accadacca
09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Still rollin', I figure that I will HAVE to rent out a couple rooms to be able to afford the utilities alone on this thing. :lol8:

I got the slide put on and most of shingles last night. Next I'll be finishing up the shingles and then framing out the left side of the swing set . . .more to come. :eek2:

rockgremlin
09-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Just in time for winter!! :lol8:

JP
09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Looks good :2thumbs:

KapitanSparrow
09-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where the swing set will go.

blueeyes
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
WOW!!!

accadacca
09-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Getting closer to winter and being done. :lol8:

This is the side with the swings and a tunnel on top. I should be done in the next couple days I think. :cool2:

KapitanSparrow
09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Just when you think it can't get any bigger, it does, heh. Can you buy add-ons Acca?

accadacca
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Just when you think it can't get any bigger, it does, heh. Can you buy add-ons Acca?
Yeah, it has some stuff. I just want to get the initial sucker built first. HELL! :roll:

accadacca
09-13-2008, 10:54 PM
IT IS DONE!!!! :clap:

Finished up on Friday night. A few final photos. :five:

blueeyes
09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Congrats! Looks fantastic

greyhair biker
09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Pretty amazing how that turned out. Thanks for the playbyplay :five:
...so, is your house the 'kid house'?

bbennett
09-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Nicely done :2thumbs: Will you ever do it again?

accadacca
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
NO!

I hope not. :haha:

KapitanSparrow
09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
NO!

I hope not. :haha:

Come on! It's for the kids. Plus the day will come when you will have to take it apart after your kids are done playing with it :haha:

Jaxx
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
sleep over in the tunnel! Looks awesome, good job.

DiscGo
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow! Your kids are about the luckiest ever! I would have killed for something like this growing up!