PDA

View Full Version : Das Boot/Subway combo platter TR

canyonguru
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
4 of us guys from Las Vegas went up tuesday morning to do Das Boot and exit The Subway. We headed down the normal Subway route and cut off northeast around the top of russells gulch (thanks tanya for the better beta on that route) dropping down into russells gulch and then out would make for a lot more altitude loss and gain. It was really nice to go around the top, it was easy and we got to see a neet slot canyon at the top of russell's gulch i have heard that some people call it refridgerator canyon because of how cold it is year around in there.

So we make it down to the Boot after some class 4 scrambling. It was a pretty easy drop into the canyon. Das Boot is an awesome canyon for anyone who wants a little more difficulty than the normal subway route. I was expecting a little more work in the canyon. It was pretty easy to say the least, But an absolute blast. I was in a 2.2 mil. shorty and was plenty warm. We didn't do the jump at the end but maybe next year.

The subway was great and the lower left fork was trashed from the recent floods but it really shows us how powerfull water can be and that was in a wide open canyon. I can't even imagine what it would be like in a 4 foot wide slot. sorry no pics, only a bout 6 pics came out, it is just to dark in Das Boot and we put the camera away during the subway because we all have plenty of pics of the subway.

Anyways it took us 8 hours to do the combo platter, i highly recomend it to anyone with an interest in canyoneering.

trackrunner
08-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Refridgerator Canyon is the canyon hiking up to Angles Landing. Are you saying Upper Russel Gulch is sometimes called this

canyonguru
08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
yeah i know that the real refridgerator canyon is up by angels landing but its just a nick name one of the guys with us called it. i guess when he use to take scouts to do the subway they would drop in to russells gulch then hike north up the drainage into that slot to cool off. its pretty deep maybe 60 ft or so it looked like to me when we hiked around the top of it. i have never done that route to Das Boot before it was pretty cool.