PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Likes To Feed Birds?

JP
08-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm not necessarily talking hand feeding, I'm talking bird feeders and such. I have the Hummers and they're great. My neighbors have bird houses and feeders up. I have a bird feeder up, attached to the kitchen window. It wasn't working out well next to the Hummers, the Hummers seemed pretty pissed.

Now, I have seen some pretty interesting birds from time to time. Some I cannot identify. I was thinking of Bluebird houses this year, but the little medical condition I had, put that on hold. One bird we have an overabundance of is that damn House Sparrow. Are you guys inundated with these things? I'm figuring these House Sparrows is why there aren't more numbers of other birds there size. The House Sparrows are pretty neat looking, but there are just too many of them. Any ideas on how to aggravate these things which will keep them from coming around?

I like to take pics of birds, I want more different varieties around. Some show up, just not in numbers or for long.

Gutpiler_Utahn
08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Ya know what the best part of using a bird feeder is? The squirrels who like to raid it. First off, it's funny to watch them try and get to it, but even more so, squirrel meat is fantastic and goes GREAT with biscuits and squirrel gravy. :twisted:

That's the one thing I really don't like about Utah. There's so few squirrels around here it's truly sad. :ne_nau:

JP
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Ya know what the best part of using a bird feeder is? The squirrels who like to raid it. First off, it's funny to watch them try and get to it, but even more so, squirrel meat is fantastic and goes GREAT with biscuits and squirrel gravy. :twisted:

That's the one thing I really don't like about Utah. There's so few squirrels around here it's truly sad. :ne_nau:
We have squirrels, but the birds work around them. One of the feeders I have is stuck to the kitchen window. So, the squirrels cannot get to it, ya need wings :haha: The PIA things are these damn House Sparrows. I guess I'm going to have to resort to sniping them :rifle: :haha:

abirken
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I do know that certain variaties of wild birds prefer different seeds/feed, ect.......maybe do a little more research about what foods will attract the different variety of birds in your region of the US. Possibly eliminating the seed that the housesparrow love will entice others to stop by and eat. Me on the other hand......bird girl. I own exotics and they get a warm breakfast everyday.......spolied little avian buddies. :) And I do have tons of feeders both bird and hummers outside......I love birdies. :nod:

JP
08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
maybe do a little more research about what foods will attract the different variety of birds in your region of the US.

Possibly eliminating the seed that the housesparrow love will entice others to stop by and eat.

I own exotics and they get a warm breakfast everyday.......spolied little avian buddies. :) And I do have tons of feeders both bird and hummers outside......I love birdies. :nod:
I have been and there is no good news when it comes to these House Sparrows :frustrated:

House Sparrows in North America

The large North American population is descended from birds deliberately imported from Britain in the late 19th century. They were introduced independently in a number of American cities in the years between 1850 and 1875 as a means of pest control. The mistake was realized after they were well established and by 1883 they were already considered pestsand their introduction a disaster.[9]

While declining somewhat in their adopted homeland, House Sparrows are one of the most abundant birds in North America, with a population estimated at approximately 150 million.[10]

In the United States[11] and Canada, the House Sparrow is one of only three birds (the other two being the European Starling and the Rock Pigeon) not protected by law. :haha: As an invasive non-indigenous species, it is legal to kill House Sparrows and destroy their eggs at any time in most places in the United States. These three introduced species are now each more widespread and common on the continent than are any other birds. House Sparrows kill adult bluebirds and other native cavity nesters and their young, smash their eggs, and take over their nesting sites,[12] and as such are major factors in the decline of bluebirds and other native cavity nesters in North America.[13] :frustrated:

Because the House Sparrow is smaller than the less aggressive native birds with which it competes, it is impossible to keep them out of nest boxes built for many native birds. Attempts to counter the effects of the House Sparrow on native bird populations include the trapping and shooting of adults and the destruction of their nests and eggs.

Spoiled birds, I feel that way about the Hummers :haha: I have moved other feeders away because the Hummers appeared to be pissed off with their presence :haha: Get some pics of your Hummers :2thumbs: I only have the Ruby's here. There are two other species here in Connecticut, but I haven't seen them yet.

abirken
08-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't have any photos of my local hummers on this computer as I am at work. But I do have some photos of the guys I saw while in Costa Rica. I did get a pic of a Violet Sabrewing.......WHAT A BEAST of a hummer. He was the size of my cockatiel!!! But once again, that photo is at home on the PC............enjoy these little beauties though. :2thumbs:

JP
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Nice pics...

I like this one :2thumbs:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/hummer3.jpg

KapitanSparrow
08-14-2008, 06:55 PM
maybe do a little more research about what foods will attract the different variety of birds in your region of the US.

Possibly eliminating the seed that the housesparrow love will entice others to stop by and eat.

I own exotics and they get a warm breakfast everyday.......spolied little avian buddies. :) And I do have tons of feeders both bird and hummers outside......I love birdies. :nod:
I have been and there is no good news when it comes to these House Sparrows :frustrated:

House Sparrows in North America

The large North American population is descended from birds deliberately imported from Britain in the late 19th century. They were introduced independently in a number of American cities in the years between 1850 and 1875 as a means of pest control. The mistake was realized after they were well established and by 1883 they were already considered pestsand their introduction a disaster.[9]

While declining somewhat in their adopted homeland, House Sparrows are one of the most abundant birds in North America, with a population estimated at approximately 150 million.[10]

In the United States[11] and Canada, the House Sparrow is one of only three birds (the other two being the European Starling and the Rock Pigeon) not protected by law. :haha: As an invasive non-indigenous species, it is legal to kill House Sparrows and destroy their eggs at any time in most places in the United States. These three introduced species are now each more widespread and common on the continent than are any other birds. House Sparrows kill adult bluebirds and other native cavity nesters and their young, smash their eggs, and take over their nesting sites,[12] and as such are major factors in the decline of bluebirds and other native cavity nesters in North America.[13] :frustrated:

Because the House Sparrow is smaller than the less aggressive native birds with which it competes, it is impossible to keep them out of nest boxes built for many native birds. Attempts to counter the effects of the House Sparrow on native bird populations include the trapping and shooting of adults and the destruction of their nests and eggs.

Spoiled birds, I feel that way about the Hummers :haha: I have moved other feeders away because the Hummers appeared to be pissed off with their presence :haha: Get some pics of your Hummers :2thumbs: I only have the Ruby's here. There are two other species here in Connecticut, but I haven't seen them yet.

Lay off Sparrows, won't ya? Those are proud birds. They may not be as pretty as some other birds, but they don't shit like pigeons and they do stick with you through thick or thin (I mean winter time) allowing you to listen to their beautiful chirping all year long. BTW, the Chinese under Mao once had all Chinese banging pots and pans at the same time to scare of sparrows into flight, tire them out, and pick dead corpses from the ground. Now, do you want to be like them?

JP
08-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Just read the bold print, the House Sparrow needs some cleansing :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
08-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Before you go all Chinese on them, do research to see if there are any blue birds in your area. If not, there is not reason to kill sparrows ;-) And if you found this on wikipedia, then you should know better ;-)

abirken
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Before you go all Chinese on them, do research to see if there are any blue birds in your area. If not, there is not reason to kill sparrows ;-) And if you found this on wikipedia, then you should know better ;-)

Hey Kaptain.........I am totally not ok with killing birds AT ALL. I wasn't suggesting that I thought that was a good idea either. I was just giving JP some suggestions on how to maybe attract other birds, besides the sparrows to his bird friendly yard by trying out different seed mixes, etc.........

Sniping birds isn't my kind of entertainment. :2thumbs:

JP one day you are going to be reincarnated into a Sparrow. :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Dear Abirken I would never suspect you of suggesting such a crime. It's JP who's yearning for blood of the sparrows, heh. Consider catch and release JP :2thumbs:

PS: Sniping frogs was my entertainment when I was a little kid. But no more.

JP
08-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Before you go all Chinese on them, do research to see if there are any blue birds in your area.
Yes, we have Bluebirds. The House Sparrow kills the adult Bluebird and stomps on the eggs that were laid by the Bluebird and then build their nest on top of the Bluebird's nest. In some cases the House Sparrow will build a nest right over the live young of the Bluebird.

Sniping birds isn't my kind of entertainment. :2thumbs:

JP one day you are going to be reincarnated into a Sparrow. :lol8:
Sniping is one suggestion the experts give and as long as I don't come back as a House Sparrow with a homeowner liking all kinds of little birds :haha: Coming back as one of those would be a pretty good thing :mrgreen:

Consider catch and release JP :2thumbs:

PS: Sniping frogs was my entertainment when I was a little kid. But no more.
The second part of your suggestion is the reason for these PIA Sparrows in the first place :mrgreen:

You killed frogs :eek2: :roflol:

KapitanSparrow
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
JP I was young and stupid. That's the best excuse for killing things. Actually, we used slingshots with wire ammo, and stoning took place when they ran away from their clearly marked encampment. Gosh I feel terrible admitting this. But back to the sparrows, I am sure there are places where bluebirds flourish, where there are no sparrows, so maybe give them a chance. Because after all, isn't a bluebird a symbol of some Canadian province? It's not like we're talking killing of bald eagles ;-) Also,

Predators of young bluebirds in the nests can include snakes, cats and raccoons.

so don't forget to go after those guys ;-)

Good thing they don't puncture your tires, then they would be in real trouble, heh :haha:

packfish
08-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I have a few Hummingbird feeders and 3 or 4 normal feeders- I do not feed much during the summer except the hummingbirds. The other birds don't need feed at this time and it can actually be detrimental to thier over all health to feed then. I feed through out the winter and spring. The species change through the year with migrations. In the winter I may have 4 or 5 different species at one time and then up to 11 or 12 in the spring.

fourtycal
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
My neighbor used to spread bird seed along the edge of her driveway every day. From my front porch I would watch those little tweeters hopping along happily eating and then.... BAM my cat would spring from the shrubbery and come running home with a tasty treat.

I love watching nature in action, so brutal :haha:

KapitanSparrow
08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Cats are cool. So sweet, so cuddly, but vicious killing machines at the same time :2thumbs:

Felicia
08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Two Saturdays ago we were taking care of a neighbour's house while they were away. On their front doorstep was a dead baby sparrow laying on its' back and covered in ants. I picked it up by a foot to discard it and it moved. :eek2:

I dusted all the ants off and layed it on a hedge in hope the parents to rescue it. While I was napping that afternoon, my husband went and got the bird and put it in a shoebox and brought in home. (it had ants on it again) :ne_nau:

After a couple of hours of no ants, the bird perked up a bit and I gave him some cooked ground turykey and moist bread with water. The next morning I fed him again. I noticed that there were bird dropping around the box. The parents found him on our patio and began to take care of him. That evening he jumped the shoebox and went to the flowerbox by the patio door.

Each morning and afternoon I checked on the little guy and he would be right there checking on me. The dog always had to have a look as well. The dog keeps all the stray cats out of our yard :five:

Yseterday morning he flutterd around the patio and last night he was gone. :2thumbs:

I guess I just added one more sparrow to the population. :mrgreen:

KapitanSparrow
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
You're a hero Felicia, at least in my eyes! :2thumbs:

abirken
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Two Saturdays ago we were taking care of a neighbour's house while they were away. On their front doorstep was a dead baby sparrow laying on its' back and covered in ants. I picked it up by a foot to discard it and it moved. :eek2:

I dusted all the ants off and layed it on a hedge in hope the parents to rescue it. While I was napping that afternoon, my husband went and got the bird and put it in a shoebox and brought in home. (it had ants on it again) :ne_nau:

After a couple of hours of no ants, the bird perked up a bit and I gave him some cooked ground turykey and moist bread with water. The next morning I fed him again. I noticed that there were bird dropping around the box. The parents found him on our patio and began to take care of him. That evening he jumped the shoebox and went to the flowerbox by the patio door.

Each morning and afternoon I checked on the little guy and he would be right there checking on me. The dog always had to have a look as well. The dog keeps all the stray cats out of our yard :five:

Yseterday morning he flutterd around the patio and last night he was gone. :2thumbs:

I guess I just added one more sparrow to the population. :mrgreen:

My hero too! I would and HAVE done the same thing. Right on Felicia! :five:

JP
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Freakin' raccoons :haha:

abirken
08-15-2008, 09:51 PM
A VIOLET SABREWING..............He seriously was triple the size of the little hummers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhiVf-6_FA4

old.man.surly
08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
i was a little disappointed when i opened this thread, i was expecting something a little more adult...

abirken
08-15-2008, 10:10 PM
i was a little disappointed when i opened this thread, i was expecting something a little more adult...

Well we could include pics of elderly adult men feeding pigeons. Is that what you had in mind? :lol8:

1Aussie
08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
That saberwing is so pretty! I have tons of hummers at my feeders but havn't seen one of those yet ( maybe' none in our area) JP I have some sparrows here in Moab but they aren't really a problem.They are scavengers so I imagine they would be more profuse in a larger city. We have them in abundance in Australia too, little buggers are a pest. You may have to just feed the hummers & not put seed out for others.

1Aussie
08-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Well we could include pics of elderly adult men feeding pigeons. Is that what you had in mind? :lol8:
good on ya' abirken:blbl: :roflol:

JP
08-15-2008, 11:44 PM
We like to joke around here :haha: If you have had any experiences with the House Sparrow and ways to get rid of them, I'd gladly like to hear some suggestions. :nod:

I like that little vid, that Saberwing is pretty neat :2thumbs:

:mrgreen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/olmfp.jpg

JP I have some sparrows here in Moab but they aren't really a problem.They are scavengers so I imagine they would be more profuse in a larger city. We have them in abundance in Australia too, little buggers are a pest. You may have to just feed the hummers & not put seed out for others.
I'm finding there is no way to get rid of the pest of the bird world except by destroying them and their nests. It's incredible how they dominate other birds of their size, incredible.

greyhair biker
08-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Living in the direct migratory path of the Seedskadee Bird Refuge I see a LOT of cools birds but I've had a sparrow family living in the yard for almost ten years now in my greenhouse & areas around the yard. I've planted a Russian black cherry tree with very small fruit that the birds absolutely love to eat & then they hang out in my cottonwoods all day. I've found dead birds from time to time in the yard but the general population has flourished.