PDA

View Full Version : Favre era ends in Green Bay with trade to Jets

JP
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Favre era ends in Green Bay with trade to Jets
ESPN.com news services

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay apparently came to an end late Wednesday as the longtime Packers star quarterback was traded to the New York Jets, Foxsports.com first reported.

The compensation, believed to be a single draft pick that rises in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season, was confirmed by ESPN's Michael Smith on Wednesday night.

The Jets declined to comment on the report.

Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press earlier Wednesday that the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were emerging as the most likely trade destinations for the three-time MVP.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson skipped practice Wednesday morning, and his scheduled early afternoon media availability was postponed indefinitely -- signs that a deal could be in the works. Thompson also was not seen at Wednesday night's practice, although team president and CEO Mark Murphy made an appearance.

Favre was on a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss. at 1:25 p.m. EDT Cook and Favre's wife, Deanna, also were aboard the plane that landed two hours later. Favre's family home is near Hattiesburg.

In Mississippi, Favre confirmed that he was considering the Jets and Buccaneers.

"We're working on it," Favre said in video posted on Jackson TV station WJTV's Web site. "Hopefully we can get something resolved. I've been saying that for quite a while now. I don't want to say we're running out of time, but I need to get into a camp somewhere."

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden refused to address speculation that the team was on the verge of a deal for Favre, sidestepping a question about whether he had spoken to Favre Tuesday night.

"I'm not going to talk about it," Gruden said. "I don't know anything other than what happened today on the practice field, and I don't want to address any more speculation at this point. Brett's situation will resolve itself during the coming days I would assume. But at this point and time, all I can comment on is our football team and what we did today."

Gruden acknowledged that he's always willing to explore ways to improve his team.

"We are a good football team," Gruden said. "We're trying to become a great one. We'll do anything we can to get better. And if that involves looking at other players, by George that's our job. That's our responsibility."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy spoke to Favre again Tuesday night, but there was no indication that their conversation did anything to change the fractured relationship between Favre and the franchise.

"It was just very general," McCarthy said of the conversation with Favre, who was excused from practice Wednesday. "Just how he was doing, where he was with the process, things like that."

McCarthy said he was happy the rest of his players were getting a chance to move forward.

"We talked about it last night," McCarthy said. "The players want resolution, they want what everybody wants. To come out here every day and talk about somebody that is not here and then shows up, it's gone on too long, and understandably so. They want to play football."

Packers players vented frustration over the Favre situation Tuesday, after fans chanting "Bring Back Brett!" turned practice into a zoo-like atmosphere and reporters continued asking questions about Favre instead of football.

After McCarthy made it clear Tuesday that Favre's football future wouldn't be in Green Bay, players seemed to have some sense of closure.

"It was just important to get things moving," Packers tackle Mark Tauscher said. "Obviously, there's no closure as of yet, but I think we've kind of been told what's going on and I think we all kind of know where everything stands."

Packers cornerback Charles Woodson -- who said Tuesday that the saga had "gone on long enough" -- said Wednesday that the Packers' front office gave players the answers they needed.

"From what I understand, for the most part it's taken care of," Woodson said. "Now it's just about the Packers and not about the situation. It's over now. From what I understand, it's pretty much over."

And if the Packers end up playing against Favre in Tampa on Sept. 28?

"Once you're on another team, you're on another team," Woodson said. "I think for the most part the locker room would have liked to see him back here. But like I say, once you're on another team ..."

The final split between the Packers and Favre became obvious Tuesday night. McCarthy told reporters that after extensive conversations with Favre over two days, he had determined that Favre doesn't have the right mind-set to play for the Packers.

After approximately six hours of what McCarthy called "brutally honest" conversations with Favre, McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks -- even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table.

"The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want," McCarthy said Tuesday. "He needs to jump on the train and let's go. Or, if we can't get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving."

Favre left Lambeau Field just before Packers practice Tuesday afternoon.

"We're at a stalemate," Favre told ESPN Tuesday morning.

live2ride
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Looks like I need to go buy a NY Jets hats... LOL favre is my favorite player but the packers remain my favorite team! I am just glad that I will have another chance to see him play even if it sucks and he crashes and burns! But if they are succesfull and the Pack suck Favre is going to be laughing his arse off!

packfish
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Just wish he would have stayed retired- I like the guy but he went about this badly.

JP
08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Just wish he would have stayed retired- I like the guy but he went about this badly.
Why, because he had an itch and wanted to come back?

accadacca
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
The Pack did him wrong. I think their coach had it out for him. Messed up man. I know Montana had a rift with SF and ended up in KC tho.

flinstone
08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
No not the Jets

JP
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
The Pack did him wrong. :nod:

live2ride
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
The Pack did him wrong. :nod:

yes they did, and Ted Thompson wanted all of the credit for building his team and winning, he didn't want the wins to be because of Favre, now if they win it will be all Ted Thompson's glory. Same scenario with what happend in Nebraska, new crew came in fired all the coaches related to the head coach so he could have his glory. I am checking into ticked on sept 22nd in San Diego for MNF anyone want to go with me!!

sparker1
08-09-2008, 11:00 AM
And the Jets give up Pennington for probably one year out of Favre.