PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Sport Shopping - Long Rambling

ExpUt
08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I've been reading all over the place, KTMtalk, advrider, bogley and ExPo in regards to bike selection, reliability, etc. I've then really considered my intended uses and desires.

About my riding experience: I've been riding since ~10? Have had lots of older bikes, Z50, Trail 90's, YZ125, DT185 (enduro that I really enjoyed but was never old enough to really drive it on the road :D), my last bike was a 00' CR250 which I sold in 02' when I finished my Land Cruiser as I hadn't been riding much. Up til then the majority of my riding was at the dunes or on motocross tracks/play areas. I did a little bit of trail riding with it, but not much.

Plans for new bike: At some point I would like a bike that I tour Utah on, mabey a KTM Adventure or a BMW GS, but they are extremely heavy and really won't be a good transition for me from a true dirtbike (CR250) to a dual sport use. My intentions now are a bike I could ride from my house to American Fork Canyon (no freeway needed), mabey out to 5 mile pass or up Mineral Fork in BC Canyon. I have a pickup if I decide to do a ride further away, say White Rim or Kokopelli.

Everything I've read so far really points me to a KTM 525 or 530 EXC. They are easy and fairly cheap to add a street-legal kit using either all OE part or one of many aftermarket kits (bajadesigns, chereby, EXC, etc). In the end to build something like this:

http://www.dsadventures.com/525breakout3.jpg

I've found some used bikes: $3000 (03' 525), $4950 (05' w/street legal kit), all the way up to a new 530 EXC for $7500. I think given the circumstances and what I'm hoping my budget will do, I'll only have $4500 to spend, so used is likely my route. I'll be adding a couple of minor items once I get a bike, cooling fan and oil cooler, really seems to prolong the life of the motor.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions!

accadacca
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think you need many suggestions. You seem to be on the right track. Picking an orange bike is a good choice, not just cause I like 'em. A 525 would fit the bill nicely. You might consider the new KTM desert tank if you plan on doing any 200 mile loops out by Delta or somewhere. That clark tank is a good choice for the medium distance rides. What is it 4 gallons?

This new tank for the 530 should fit and it is 6.5 gallons! :eek2:

http://ktmusa.com/fileadmin/systemdata/hardequipment/5900701370004_mr(2).jpg

I guess they have this one at 5.5 gallons too.

http://ktmusa.com/fileadmin/systemdata/hardequipment/7800701313344(3).jpg

Boy does the new 530 look pimp. :cool2:

http://ktmusa.com/fileadmin/swf/productspecials/uploads/530_exc.jpg :eek2:

ExpUt
08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
...That clark tank is a good choice for the medium distance rides. What is it 4 gallons?...

3.2 on the front and 1.1 on the rear tank.

...Boy does the new 530 look pimp. :cool2:

http://ktmusa.com/fileadmin/swf/productspecials/uploads/530_exc.jpg :eek2:

You aren't kidding :hail2thechief:

denaliguide
08-06-2008, 06:04 PM
nice looking bike. whats the weight? i think those knobbies are going to make for a rough ride on the road. and i never heard of a bike w/ a rear tank.

i'm a proud owner of a 03 klr 650. bit heavy for the single tracks, but 6.1 gallons gets me a long ways.

ExpUt
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
nice looking bike. whats the weight? i think those knobbies are going to make for a rough ride on the road. and i never heard of a bike w/ a rear tank.

i'm a proud owner of a 03 klr 650. bit heavy for the single tracks, but 6.1 gallons gets me a long ways.

The KLR is likely a future bike for me, when I'm ready to do some long distance rides 1000+ miles. For now the EXC is to get me comfortable back in the seat :D

Weight is ~250, just over 300 with fuel and accessories.

denaliguide
08-06-2008, 06:26 PM
that sounds like a more manageable weight. the klr is 350 dry. lay it over with a full tank and it's a chore to get it up alone. enjoy your new bike.

ExpUt
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Pulled the trigger tonight. An 07' KTM 450 XCW, pretty set up for desert riding now (IMS tank 3.2 gallon tank, suspension mods, etc). It got the headlight and tailight already installed, I'm going to look into the parts to finish it off and get it plated for small jaunts on the pavement.

Excited to get out and ride!

:cool2:

Skylinerider
10-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Nice. Congrats on the bike Kurt. Now I really need to find one I like and pull the trigger.

ExpUt
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Nice. Congrats on the bike Kurt. Now I really need to find one I like and pull the trigger.

Do it! Greg and I are talking about WRT next month, I don't know that I'm up for that quite yet but we'll see.

double moo
10-22-2008, 06:25 AM
I sold my '05 XR650L last year and bought an '08 530EXC-R. Thought I'd like a more dirt oriented dual sport. Great bike! fantastic in the dirt - light years ahead of the XRL... in the dirt.

On the road - not so good. A short road trip from my place in Draper to 5 mile is not enjoyable! The XRL was far better on the road - and still not as good as a KLR. The Super-Moto kit is about $1,900 and would make it a smooth and fun road play bike - still not for long excursions. I tend to truck or trailer it to dirt every time I go.

I take my BMW GS for any ride on the road and can't help but think that I should have picked up a smaller dirt only bike rather than another DS. Though I do so love the 530!

The cooling fan is a must - and quite easy to install. Beware that not all aftermarket tanks are compatible with the fan. KTMtalk.com has some good info on this issue - and many others.

Moo

scoutabout
10-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Dood, that's not a landcruiser!

ExpUt
11-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Was able to put some seat time on the new bike yesterday out at Delle. What a riot. Having not been on a bike much at all in the last 5 years I was really nervous about how comfortable I would be... to my amazement I felt really at home on the bigger bike and didn't feel overwhelmed by it at all. Nailed 92mph on a good straight shot and still had a bit more throttle left. I'm hoping to get a bit of time on some single track before the snow flies up north, and continue riding into the winter in the Swell & Southern Utah :cool2:

accadacca
11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Cool. That is a hot bike man. You might wanna keep that throttle in check until you get a little more comfortable. Ask Moo about that and see this post: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11574

double moo
11-03-2008, 08:14 AM
It's not the throttle you need to watch... it's the brakes!!!

ExpUt
11-03-2008, 09:07 AM
It's not the throttle you need to watch... it's the brakes!!!

Touche' thanks for the reminder. Hope you've recovered nicely!