PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual 9/11 Tribute Hike in Farmington Utah

UTDamian
08-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Another year has come and we are planning or 7th Annual Sept 11th Tribute Hike. In Farmington Utah

It is posted on GC.com awaiting approval.

we will be meeting in Farmington at the top of 100 North Around 6:30 AM on the 11th.
@ 6:45 when the first plane hit there willbe a moment of silence. We will then have a short meet & Greet with Group Photo.
@ 7:03 Am another moment of silence as the second plane hit.
then we will hike up the south side of Flag Rock to the top
have a meet and greet with another group photo at the top. then hike down the North end ofthe trail.

should be a great day and a great tribute hike.

we will have a basecamp - Manned by Geocacher Aim HIGH ! throughout the trip to point latecomers the right direction and toallow those who are unable to make the hike to still pay tribute.

hope to see a great turnout this year.

Scout Master
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I would like to introduce all my Bogley friends To Damien Darcy (UTDamian) Damian is being a little shy here so I thought I would step up and let you all know, Damian is a real live American Hero. Damian was an EMT at the Collapse of the World Trade Centers on Sept 11, 2001, who rescued people and only survived the collapse by a few minutes. 9/11 Is an emotional event for all of us but especially for Damian. Therefore, I would like to invite anyone and everyone who can, to come hike up to Flag Rock above Farmington, To shake hands with Damian and honor those who died and those who survived one of our nations greatest tragedies.
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/display/f4634eda-abf4-4db4-95d7-b28659498fe1.jpg

UTDamian
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Great Pic ? ? ? How'd you find that .... I know I have it but how'd you find it....that's last year at the Sandy Utah Healing Field (looks like I need a shave)

as for Shy - I prefer Modest & the heroes are the ones that didn't make it out..... I am no hero just lucky....... but thank you

As for not mentioning too much - this day has great meaning to me - as you know I lost 42 CLOSE friends and colleagues - guys whose families I knew by Name - families that I knew through weddings, birthdays even barb-b-ques. to reflect back on this day is often very EMOTIONAL for me.

in years past we've hosted the hike in the evening giving me the entire day to compose myself. Hours spent in the morning Crying at the healing field usually helps.

this year with the Hike in the early AM I am not sure how I will be --- could very well end up crying the entire way up to flag rock..,.

And I wouldn't want people showing up hoping to chat with me and I end up crying..... I do talk about Sept. 11th --- it is helpful and therapuetic to some extent - I just don't want people showing up this year simply because of me - - - - although I wouldn't mind at all - - - would like to see a great turnout in remembrance though.

BUT Thank you for remembering me and bringing my story to the members of BOGLEY....... shy or modest -----either way.

Don't think I'll be wearing the uniform this year ------ I am already feeling the impact of the anniversarry so the wife & I think it may be best to leave it in the closet this year.

I would like to ask those coming to wear either red / white / or Blue in Honor of those who lost their lives a show of patriotism

Wasatch Rebel
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Damian, no matter what you say, you and others like you performed heroic service that day---and every day you're on the job for that matter. And also true heroes never admit they did anything heroic. You fit the bill.

UTDamian
08-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Thank you Jim - Sadly and Happily I am no longer on the job - I retired the following Jan. (2002) Spent several months in Therapy recovering from the loss of my Partner who fell with the Second Tower ( R.I.P. Mike)

I currently work in the Swimming pool & Hot tub industry - A definite change -

but when you have children and family you sometimes have to think of them before yourself.

9-11-01 had a profound impact on my life as well as the lives of everyone around the world. It will forever be in my memory and in my heart.

Hope you can join us for this Hike Jim.

thanxs for the kind words

Scout Master
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
I am just bumping this thread back up. I realize this is a week day morning. But if there is any way you cam make this hike and meet Damien Dracy I promise it will be worth the time.

Mtnman1830
09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
how long is this hike? I would love to make it, but I get off work at 6am, and have to return at 6pm.

Scout Master
09-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I think The actual hike is a little over a mile You should be able to get up and back and a full day's sleep.

RugerShooter
09-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I somehow missed this thread the first time, I won't be able to make it, but just want to say thanks to Damian and every other service person that is out there. You are all hero's in my book. Thanks again.

Scout Master
09-11-2008, 08:02 PM
This was a fantastic hike. I will comment more about it in another Thread.