PDA

View Full Version : Farmer sends message to neighbors with car fence

trackrunner
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080804/capt.3d14cad943ce4cfe93dc667315f841f8.car_fence_ut 0gd102.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_fe_st/odd_car_fence;_ylt=AjGCJnSEEjLxixYCUW0nFeQDW7oF

HOOPER, Utah - A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm. "This is just a fun way for me to say, 'Hey boys, I'm still here,'" said Rhett Davis. "This is my redneck Stonehenge."

Davis came up with the idea after neighbors who recently moved into homes next to his hayfield complained about his farm.

"The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,' " Davis said.

Davis said he offered to pay half the cost of a fence between his property and the others and to build it. He said his neighbors declined the offer, saying it would block their view.

Neighbors declined to comment to the Standard-Examiner of Ogden.

Davis said after the neighbors declined his offer, he used a backhoe to dig three large holes on the edge of his property, then took three cars that had competed in demolition derbies and planted them nose-first into the ground.

He said the cars were planted out of humor rather than spite. He said it's important that new residents moving into the area realize that Hooper remains a farming community.

The area has grown recently with new residents who desire a country atmosphere but don't want the smells and noises of farm life, Davis said.

"I respect that they're here and spent a lot on their homes, but on the other hand, give me a little bit, too. I've been here since I was 7 years old," he said.

Davis said he doesn't intend to keep the cars up permanently.

"I've talked to my neighbors and worked things out. I really just thought this would be a funny thing to do," he said. "These can come out just as easy as they went in."

Mtnman1830
08-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Good For Him!

Why do some people move into an area, then complain?

Its like people moving next to the Freeway, then complaining about the noise.

:2thumbs:

RugerShooter
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I agree mtnman, when you move in next to a farm what do you expect. You are going to have some smells and noise coming from there it's a farm for hell sakes, the only problem I can see is he didn't put up enough cars. :2thumbs:

I think it's great it made national news.

R
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
The "Redneck Stonehenge" thing is already played out. Somebody should tell this guy to be a more creative dumbass.

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/sundance/03carhenge/

sparker1
08-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I love the folks who move into a flood zone and expect us to bail them out. quite often, we do.

JP
08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Good For Him!
Absolutely :2thumbs:

Somebody should tell this guy to be a more creative dumbass
I'm sure the media docked it as such...What's the matter Richard, why is this guy a dumbass? Would you be one of those whiny neighbors?

greyhair biker
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
if I were him I'd have moved my silage piles there in stead....MUCH worse smell :lol8: I have an uncle out there (hooper/roy area) and the newbies got off easy...some of the good ole boys would not have been so amicable :nod:

Mtnman1830
08-04-2008, 09:06 PM
He should "spread some sunshine" around his property. :haha:

Sombeech
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna move to L.A. then complain about earthquakes.

DiscGo
08-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I like this guy, and I think he makes a good point about people moving for a country feel but not wanting the noise and smells of the farm. Good for him!

Don
08-05-2008, 06:47 AM
I only joined this forum so I could complain about you all.

abirken
08-05-2008, 06:50 AM
The "Redneck Stonehenge" thing is already played out. Somebody should tell this guy to be a more creative dumbass.

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/sundance/03carhenge/

Richard! Those are GREAT! HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT! Looks as if this was a little more creative? Or at least color coordinated? :2thumbs: :nod:

Deathcricket
08-05-2008, 06:57 AM
I agree mtnman, when you move in next to a farm what do you expect. You are going to have some smells and noise coming from there it's a farm for hell sakes, the only problem I can see is he didn't put up enough cars. :2thumbs:

I think it's great it made national news.

Quoted for agreement with your agreement of his agreement.
:haha:

I moved to Utah to complain about the polygamists. They ruin my Walmart shopping experience when I get all gussied up to go buy groceries.

JP
08-05-2008, 07:18 AM
It's amazing that when people move to an area (after seeing it and knowing the area) that they then complain and expect changes. I see that all the time, if anybody deserves the "Here's your sign award" it's them :haha:

R
08-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm sure the media docked it as such...What's the matter Richard, why is this guy a dumbass? Would you be one of those whiny neighbors?

I'm saying that instead of trying to get along with his neighbors, he decided to be the biggest jackass possible, and be a media/attention whore in the process. Right or wrong become irrelevant, since he's so annoying.

R
08-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Let me add that I AM in the media, and we deal with people like this all the time. The Hatfields and McCoys thing gets old fast.

RugerShooter
08-05-2008, 07:37 AM

I'm saying that instead of trying to get along with his neighbors, he decided to be the biggest jackass possible, and be a media/attention whore in the process. Right or wrong become irrelevant, since he's so annoying.

By reading the article, I take it that he did try to get along with the neighbors, he said he would pay for half of a fence and install it, and they refused. That to me sounds like he tried to get along with them. It is the neighbor that is being difficult.

JP
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
They should have found a different piece of land to move to :nod:

DWayne27
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM

By reading the article, I take it that he did try to get along with the neighbors, he said he would pay for half of a fence and install it, and they refused. That to me sounds like he tried to get along with them. It is the neighbor that is being difficult.

seriouosly- what more could you ask him to do? he tried to be a good neighboor, but when all the response you get is more whinning...

Last Child
08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm sure the media docked it as such...What's the matter Richard, why is this guy a dumb ass? Would you be one of those whiny neighbors?

Right or wrong does not become irrelevant. Only to those who have no logical argument. That is a statement made by someone who doesn't have anything to back up his point. Right and/or wrong is the whole point here. People buying property without doing research and then complaining about something that was there long before they got there? C'mon that is so out of line. Also the redneck is not the dumb ass here. The people who bought this property without proper research are the dumb asses.

Why should he "try to get along with his neighbors" when they are the ones who bought property that already was subject to the things they are complaining about. That is so much B.S. Why would you want to even try to get along with people like this. I am all for getting along with your neighbors. But it is a two way street. I think it should be more that "they" should try to get along with him. He was there first. If you don't like what you moved in to then maybe you shouldn't have moved there in the first place. Sometimes trying to get along with people will end up hurting you in the end. People will push you around as far as you let them. You need to stand up for yourself and your rights or you will be taken full advantage of. I say stand up for yourself and your rights. To hell with your neighbors if their not neighborly to you. What comes around goes around.

I applaud this guy. Not only am I applauding him I have my lighter held high asking for an encore. I think he has made his point and did it humorously.

And the whole fence issue...good hell...whoever wants the fence should be the one who buys it and installs it. That way it is your fence to do what you want with and everyone else must leave it alone.

Being a Professional Land Surveyor I deal with issues or should I say attitudes similar to this all of the time. It just baffles me how stupid people really are when it comes to buying a building lot. Seriously, one of the most important investments you can make and one of the least researched. Also how so many people in this area are always looking for someone else to blame or pay the bill. Some people just don't want to take any personal responsibility anymore.

A similar situation happened here in the small subdivision that I live in. We had a ground water issues and several homes had basement flooding. The neighbors were all pissed wanting the developer or the city to pay for damages and solution. They all claimed "No one told us". They all got mad at me when I said publicly that I had done my research and found out that this area had ground water issues in the past and that "No one had to tell me" either.

God how I hate stupid people.

Ooh, ooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell?
Ooh, ooh that smell
The smell of death surrounds you.

GO REDNECK GO!!!

R
08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I think maybe you guys are taking both this guy and my comments a little too seriously.

Last Child
08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Let me add that I AM in the media, and we deal with people like this all the time. The Hatfields and McCoys thing gets old fast.

What gets old is how the media portrays these things and how people like you support the land owners who are so obviously in the WRONG here.

I'm a Professional Land Surveyor and I deal directly with the people on both sides of these issues. Having been through this personally and professionally I would have to say it's time for you to pull real hard.

The newbies are the ones in the wrong here. I am glad this guy found such a humours way to get his point acrosss. I have seen much much worse.

RugerShooter
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I think maybe you guys are taking both this guy and my comments a little too seriously.

You must not live in a farming community, if you did you would understand his actions. These people that just move in then notice something they don't like about the neighbors who have been there for years they cry about it. This gets very old.

SLCmntjunkie
08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I'll agree that the neighbors complaining about a farm after moving next to it isn't the best thing to do but everyone seems to be hating on them having very little information. The article says they complained but we don't know to what extent.

Maybe they voiced some complaints politely during a friendly conversation and then this jerk was a smartass ass and buried cars? I didn't see any mention of the neighbors trying to take legal action, trying to disrupt his farm or ask the farmer to change anything. If this is the case, I'd say he was out of line.

Maybe they did though and I could understand his actions. As a land surveyor I've seem some pretty ridiculous disputes, I once saw someone put a lien on their neighbors property because they thought their fence was a few inches over the property line, which it wasn't.

Deathcricket
08-05-2008, 09:59 AM

An avid vegetarian and goat owner actually against farmers and the smell a farm produces???? Never thought I would see the day, wow..

But then again, I never understand most liberal views so it's par for the course.
:lol8:

SLCmntjunkie
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
and I don't think Richard is saying that he is against farming or siding with the homeowners. I think his point is that there are better ways to solve a dispute than to do something like this, likely making things worse. I'd have to agree with him.

R
08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
and I don't think Richard is saying that he is against farming or siding with the homeowners. I think his point is that there are better ways to solve a dispute than to do something like this, likely making things worse. I'd have to agree with him.

Thank you. AND like I said before, I'm not taking it too seriously.

oldno7
08-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Thank you. AND like I said before, I'm not taking it too seriously.

And neither is the landowner(farmer) He said he would take the cars down whenever asked.

Last Child
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM

(and "he" has become)... a media/attention whore...

Hmmmm?...... naw, too easy!

JP
08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
No, what is annoying is the cockiness of the people who moved in knowing what they were living next door to. Come on, misquotes? Little cocky thinking if they complain, the guy would have to comply...What if your new neighbors complained about your dogs or goats Richard, would you get rid of them?

Maybe they voiced some complaints politely during a friendly conversation and then this jerk was a smartass ass and buried cars? I didn't see any mention of the neighbors trying to take legal action, trying to disrupt his farm or ask the farmer to change anything. If this is the case, I'd say he was out of line.
I will bet the farm they did not go and talk with him. I'll bet they made the complaints directly to the town/county. I have dealt with these types of issues before, they might have done better if they walked up to him instead of getting authorities involved. Shame on you to move to an area that has been in existence prior to you being there and expecting things to change because YOU want them to. Sounds like the "Coaster's" attitudes are moving into a neighborhood near you :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: Now you'll know what it's like to live here :roflol: :roflol: