PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a tire mounter/balancer?

Mtnbiker
08-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey there, just thought I'd check to see if any of you guys have a tire machine and balancer in your garage? I'd be more than happy to supply a case or two of your favorite bubbly to help me mount and balance my new tires on the V-strom...... :naughty: I can probably bring just the wheels and tires only if its better for you.

On one hand I hate to take business away from the local stores but right now saving over $100 by "DIY" seems pretty appealling.
Oh, and I was hoping for someone within a reasonable radius of Draper.

Thanks, Ian

Btw, I'm looking at the Metzeler Tourances to replace the stock deathwings on my DL-1000. I've read a lot of good things about them... What do you think?

denaliguide
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
i would love to have one of those. i hate doing it on the floor of my garage.

accadacca
08-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Hope its not too late, but I have access to one at my Dad's in South Jordan. Double Moo is the real expert on this particular unit. :lol8: You had to be there to laugh. I'll send you a PM with my #.

double moo
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd love to help... but I'm still a little low on blood from the last time. Skip the bubbly and bring a couple units of B positive and maybe I can help...

Mtnbiker
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Acca! I may take you up on your offer if I manage to screw it up enough trying to do it myself :2thumbs:

I'm a motorcycle tire-change noob, but I did a little looking around and came across a few google vids that make it look very do-able, even without a stand or specific machine. Initially I just made the assumption that you'd have to have a machine to take them on/off.

In the two videos I saw, the guys had the tires popped off in less than 5 minutes with nothing more than tire irons, lemon scented pledge, rim savers, and a 2x4 constructed bead breaker.

I ended up buying the above supplies, but I will still need help balancing until I can build my own unit or buy a simple balancer. I was looking at making something similar to this:
http://www.marcparnes.com/Suzuki_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm