PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use GSAK?

Wasatch Rebel
08-03-2008, 07:06 AM
I was recommended to use this program, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife or GSAK for downloading waypoints, and putting them on my GPS. Just wondering if any of you have used it and if you like it. Also, Geocaching.com allows non-premium members access to only the .loc files and not the .gpx files. What's the downside to only having the .loc files?

Mtnman1830
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I use GSAK regularly. It is a free program, but you can send in something like $20 and get an upgraded version.

When you use GSAK, you can look at the files you have loaded even while off line.

The forums at UTAG have some posts in their forum about the GSAK program.

DiscGo
08-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I love posts like these because I had never heard of it and now I am really excited :D.

Mtnman1830
08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Some great things about GSAK is you can sort out caches along a route, sort by container size, set a cache as a center point, ect...

I am currently uploading every cache in utah. with 23 pocket querys from GC.com

DiscGo
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I usually open the geocaching extension in Google Earth and plot my courses accordingly.

coach steve
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I was recommended to use this program, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife or GSAK for downloading waypoints, and putting them on my GPS. Just wondering if any of you have used it and if you like it. Also, Geocaching.com allows non-premium members access to only the .loc files and not the .gpx files. What's the downside to only having the .loc files?

The $30 annually for a premium membership is well worth it. You can get Pocket Queries, that allow you to download all the caches for an area in which you are going to find caches. Also, it allows you so many more maps than a regular membership. I can't imagine caching without the membership.

GSAK is also an invaluable source for me. I can take a pocket querie and load it directly into GSAK and download all of the caches at one time--about 2 seconds--into my GPS. I can then use the same database to load all the same caches into my Palm. I haven't printed off any regular cache pages for 2 years, except for puzzle caches. Both are worth the money and effort learning how to use them.

RugerShooter
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM

The $30 annually for a premium membership is well worth it. You can get Pocket Queries, that allow you to download all the caches for an area in which you are going to find caches. Also, it allows you so many more maps than a regular membership. I can't imagine caching without the membership.

GSAK is also an invaluable source for me. I can take a pocket querie and load it directly into GSAK and download all of the caches at one time--about 2 seconds--into my GPS. I can then use the same database to load all the same caches into my Palm. I haven't printed off any regular cache pages for 2 years, except for puzzle caches. Both are worth the money and effort learning how to use them.

I totally agree with you :nod: