PDA

View Full Version : Children have lost touch with the natural world...

jumar
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/attenborough-alarmed-as-children-are-left-flummoxed-by-test-on-the-natural-world-882624.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00041/frog-alamy_41935t.jpg
[quote]
Attenborough alarmed as children are left flummoxed by test on the natural world

By Sarah Cassidy, Education Correspondent
Friday, 1 August 2008
What amphibian is this?

Alamy

What amphibian is this?

* Photos Can you do any better? Test your knowledge

Related Articles

* Leading article: Ramble on

* Print Print
* Email Email

Search Search Go
Independent.co.uk Web
Bookmark & Share

* Digg It
* del.icio.us
* Facebook
* Stumbleupon

What are these?

Children have lost touch with the natural world and are unable to identify common animals and plants, according to a survey.

Half of youngsters aged nine to 11 were unable to identify a daddy-long-legs, oak tree, blue tit or bluebell, in the poll by BBC Wildlife Magazine. The study also found that playing in the countryside was children's least popular way of spending their spare time, and that they would rather see friends or play on their computer than go for a walk or play outdoors.

The survey asked 700 children to identify pictured flora and fauna. Just over half could name bluebells, 54 per cent knew what blue tits were and 45 per cent could identify an oak. Less than two-thirds (62 per cent) identified frogs and 12 per cent knew what a primrose was.

Children performed better at identifying robins (95 per cent) and badgers, correctly labelled by nine out of 10.

Sir David Attenborough warned that children who lack any understanding of the natural world would not grow into adults who cared about the environment. "The wild world is becoming so remote to children that they miss out," he said, "and an interest in the natural world doesn't grow as it should. Nobody is going protect the natural world unless they understand it."

Fergus Collins, of BBC Wildlife Magazine, said the results "reinforce the idea that many children don't spend enough time playing in the green outdoors and enjoying wildlife

Cirrus2000
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Interesting. Definitely a British bias in the flora/fauna (The robin and the goldfinch, for example, didn't look much like the North American versions.) And I'm not totally up on my blue tits. As it were. Still, I think I'll be pointing out more animals/birds/trees/flowers to the kids in future.

safira
08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
That really is sad! Today the girls just care about what new clothes are at the mall, who is texting them, what their friends make up looks like and where they can go buy it and stuff like that. The boys, well they do what boys do - chase girls, but they use to go outside and play too.

It's an electronic world too. Everything revolves around that stuff these days.

JP
08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
The boys, well they do what boys do - chase girls
Not anymore it's all about video games :roll:

greyhair biker
08-02-2008, 08:16 AM
this is SO true! One of the reasons I don't make a mad dash back to a heavily populated area is that I barely have to leave my yard and I can see a huge variety of wildlife...and flora even thought this is considered a high arid desert (6100ft). My boys have grown up embracing the outdoors and it's a shame that 'city bound' youth arent getting the opportunities to do the same. That is our fault as adults and society.....ok, I'll get off my box now :haha:

adamsco
08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
On a related note, I also find it alarming how detached/distanced we are from our food supply. How many of our kids (and us) realize what goes into our food and where it comes from. I've found it very gratifying to grow a garden and also take my kids to the Farmer's Markets over the past couple years. There's no reason why we should be eating meals out of bags and boxes that have travelled thousands of miles before it gets to our tables. I teach my kids to eat low on the food chain and BUY LOCAL FIRST!

Don
08-05-2008, 06:53 AM
On a related note, I also find it alarming how detached/distanced we are from our food supply. How many of our kids (and us) realize what goes into our food and where it comes from. I've found it very gratifying to grow a garden and also take my kids to the Farmer's Markets over the past couple years. There's no reason why we should be eating meals out of bags and boxes that have travelled thousands of miles before it gets to our tables. I teach my kids to eat low on the food chain and BUY LOCAL FIRST!

I love it when you get up on your soap box Cody. I have learned a lot from you over the years. :five:

abirken
08-05-2008, 06:57 AM

I agree! I do the same with our local Farmers Market and food Co op. It's also very important to get kids involved in preparation of foods too so they know how to do it and don't rely on pre-packaged foods. :haha: :haha: