PDA

View Full Version : Man turns to Google for alternate route.

RugerShooter
07-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Man turns to Google for alternate route and rolls vehicle
July 30th, 2008 @ 12:27pm
By Marc Giauque

The ripple effects of a tanker rollover in Davis County are still being felt by many people today, by some more than others.

Salt Lake City police say a 27-year-old man was trying to go north to Bountiful. He pulled up Google Maps on his cell phone to find an alternate route.

Instead of heading home, he ended on a four-wheeler trail somewhere above City Creek Canyon near 5500 East and 1900 North.

Detective Jeff Bedard, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Department, said, "He was about seven miles or so off-road." Bedard said the man eventually rolled his Jeep Liberty.

Bedard says it underscores the limitations of services like Google Earth and Google Maps. He says, "If you look at something from a bird's-eye view and just think,

devo_stevo
07-31-2008, 08:06 AM
A spokesman says the Legacy Highway, which is scheduled to open in September, could cut traffic in the area by as much as a third.

He called it a highway. :nono:

RugerShooter
07-31-2008, 08:10 AM
A spokesman says the Legacy Highway, which is scheduled to open in September, could cut traffic in the area by as much as a third.

He called it a highway. :nono: :roflol:

JP
07-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Rolled his Jeep, WTF was he thinking :haha:

DWayne27
ha ha ha ha... i work with this guy- everyone has been giving him crap about it

JP
ha ha ha ha... i work with this guy
Now that's funny :roflol:

ExpUt
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
The vehicle did not roll. We are planning a recovery mission with the driver over on RockyMountainExtreme.com :cool2:

Hopefully he can come out of this with just a fine and an education rather than a destroyed vehicle.

accadacca
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Mooseman70
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Another new meaning to the term "BunkerDave"'ing it. :lol8:

James_B_Wads2000
07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
The entire accident was faked! It

JP
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
The vehicle did not roll.
What's the scoop :ne_nau:

RugerShooter
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
The vehicle did not roll.
What's the scoop :ne_nau:
The only details that bunkerdave has not let out are located on the UTAG (http://www.utahgeocachers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) website.

http://www.utahgeocachers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

JP
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Davis :2thumbs:

No ATV winch is going to be able to pull him out. The ATV will either be pulled into him while the winch process is commencing or the winch won't be rated enough to pull a Liberty that is "stuck".

Sounds like it's still driveable, he didn't mention any fluids leaking from it. Hopefully it will be minimal cosmetic damage.

RugerShooter
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Here is another link with more information about the recovery effort for the "rolled" jeep.
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=57071

accadacca
07-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Got any pix? :ne_nau:

Mtnman1830
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Got any pix? :ne_nau:

He said that he didn't have any pics... Guess we will have to wait for the recovery effort.

Mooseman70
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like BunkerDave retrieved his Libby this AM with a little help from some friends. :2thumbs:

He received a ticket, but I think he knew that one was coming!

ExpUt
08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Vehicle is out and in running order. We used four vehicles for a very low impact recovery, took under an hour to get him back on the road. :mrgreen:

RugerShooter
08-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Here are the pictures I took from the RME website, you have to register (which is lame) to see any pictures.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/2734813895_bb5b7344e0_o.png
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/2735646248_c0baf9032b_o.png
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/2734812391_8c6e574c9c_o.png
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2735644552_9f5acc4832_o.png
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2734811017_3e8b972735_o.png

oldno7
08-05-2008, 07:20 AM
nice recovery. Is that a cruiser winching? Wheres the cable protection?
Not being sarcastic--just inquiring, it could be in nthe grass and not visible.

JP
08-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Novices :roflol: What would we do without them :haha:

ExpUt
08-05-2008, 08:12 AM

None of those pictures show the cable when in use, we had two different straps wrapped around the steel cable at all times when winching.

Here is another take with the winch dampers. Just in front of the ball of straps is the snatch block, from their to the Liberty was a no-stretch winch extension strap.

ExpUt
08-05-2008, 08:14 AM

None of those pictures show the cable when in use, we had two different straps wrapped around the steel cable at all times when winching. The picture I posted shows the initial rigging, prior to even bringing up the slack in the line.

Here is another take with the winch dampers. Just in front of the ball of straps is the snatch block, from their to the Liberty was a no-stretch winch extension strap.

JP
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Wheres the cable protection?
Cable protection, is that a law :haha: None of the guys I wheel with would need that :roflol:

oldno7
08-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Only the law of Darwin. Broken cables = missing body parts.
Of course if we're using poly it is a non issue. :rockon:

JP
08-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Bingo :2thumbs:

ExpUt
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Guess you missed the MythBusters experiment on that, they could barely get it to leave a welt and that was with something standing right next to the cable. Regardless, I'm a firm believer in safety, anytime we had load on the wire rope we had a damper, as always. We did an informal poll on a large Utah based offroad forum (RME), many, many, many of the members are competitors, builders, etc with literally thousands of years of experience. There wasn't a single person that had every seen a wire rope cause damage and very few that had ever even seen one break. I've destroyed 2 Warn's in the last 5 years on recovery operations, just flat-out pulled more than they could handle (mechanical failure ie Planetaries and brakes, not motors). My cables never even worried me. I may put synthetic line on my Tacoma's 9k winch, mostly because the only thing it gets used for is light recovery, never the extremely demanding stuff that my Cruiser gets.

As for poly rope, of course it wouldn't have been an issue, we wouldn't have been using it ;) I think synthetic ropes have a place, lightweight rigs, comps, etc. However for the type of winching my uses seem to demand, they just won't last. Knock on wood I have never seen a wire rope fail... I can't count the number of synthetic failures I've seen, melted to the drum, brittle from the winter salt and summer sun, rashed from a slight contact with a tree or rock. Again, good for some, a disaster for others :D

oldno7
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Guess you missed the MythBusters experiment on that, they could barely get it to leave a welt and that was with something standing right next to the cable. Regardless, I'm a firm believer in safety, anytime we had load on the wire rope we had a damper, as always. We did an informal poll on a large Utah based offroad forum (RME), many, many, many of the members are competitors, builders, etc with literally thousands of years of experience. There wasn't a single person that had every seen a wire rope cause damage and very few that had ever even seen one break. I've destroyed 2 Warn's in the last 5 years on recovery operations, just flat-out pulled more than they could handle (mechanical failure ie Planetaries and brakes, not motors). My cables never even worried me. I may put synthetic line on my Tacoma's 9k winch, mostly because the only thing it gets used for is light recovery, never the extremely demanding stuff that my Cruiser gets.

As for poly rope, of course it wouldn't have been an issue, we wouldn't have been using it ;) I think synthetic ropes have a place, lightweight rigs, comps, etc. However for the type of winching my uses seem to demand, they just won't last. Knock on wood I have never seen a wire rope fail... I can't count the number of synthetic failures I've seen, melted to the drum, brittle from the winter salt and summer sun, rashed from a slight contact with a tree or rock. Again, good for some, a disaster for others :D

Of course you would probably be correct on cables breaking, I do know before the synthetics hit rockcrawling the events I knew of(WEROC,UROC)
required cable protection during events.
So can we say---an ounce of prevention...........................