PDA

View Full Version : How do I work this Garmin Etrex?

Wasatch Rebel
07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I just inherited this thing and am anxious to begin using it, but on the Map screen the GPS coordinates are turned off, and I can't figure out how to turn them back on. Help please!

RugerShooter
07-29-2008, 01:09 PM
If I understand you correctly on the left side of the unit press the bottom button (the one by the click stick) go to data fields, then choose the one you want.

denaliguide
07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
go to the garmin site and download the manual as a .pdf. reading is FUNdamental..

Wasatch Rebel
07-29-2008, 04:51 PM
go to the garmin site and download the manual as a .pdf. reading is FUNdamental..

Thanks. I've got the manual--it came with the inheritance--but it doesn't seem to address my problem.

Wasatch Rebel
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
If I understand you correctly on the left side of the unit press the bottom button (the one by the click stick) go to data fields, then choose the one you want.

I get a Menu that lists a few things:

Use with GPS off
Track Up
Single Color
New Location

I'm thinking then that the GPS is on, but it's not showing me any coordinates on the map page--even though in the manual it shows that page with coordinates on the screen.

James_B_Wads2000
07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
PM me Jim and I'll come over and fix it for you. I used to own one of those.

James

Mtnman1830
07-29-2008, 05:43 PM
have you loaded waypoints to the gps?

If maps have ben uploaded, try looking for waypoints. There is a find key on the left hand side of the unit.

Wasatch Rebel
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
have you loaded waypoints to the gps?

If maps have ben uploaded, try looking for waypoints. There is a find key on the left hand side of the unit.

I'll give that a try.

Wasatch Rebel
07-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Yep. It was the waypoints thing. Once I created one, the coordinates appeared on the screen. Actually the manual didn't say that needed to be done--all it said was to just wait for the satellites to be found and the coordinates would appear at the top of the screen. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :haha:

Mtnman1830
07-29-2008, 08:07 PM
If you want to see the coords of where you are, there should be a 'Trip Computer' that has many useful info that you can customize.

I have a 60CSx, but the Trip Computer is basically the same.

The fields that I have showing are

Accuracy
Distance to next
Speed
Moving Average
Time of Day
Stopped Time
Elevation
and Odometer

You can change the fields, and it will show you the coords of your location.

Wasatch Rebel
07-30-2008, 06:46 AM
If you want to see the coords of where you are, there should be a 'Trip Computer' that has many useful info that you can customize.

Thanks. I'm planning on spending a lot of time with it to learn how it all works, and then I want to learn how to use it for geocaching, which I've done once with someone else who had a GPS gadget--I just need to know the basics of how to get started in geocaching.

RugerShooter
07-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks. I'm planning on spending a lot of time with it to learn how it all works, and then I want to learn how to use it for geocaching, which I've done once with someone else who had a GPS gadget--I just need to know the basics of how to get started in geocaching.

Check out these websites

www.geocaching.com
www.utahgeocachers.com