PDA

View Full Version : This is pretty Crazy

tallsteve
07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
http://gothamist.com/2008/07/28/cop_caught_on_video_assaulting_cycl.php

I usually give cops the benefit of the doubt but, in this case, it's clear the bicyclist didn't do anything to provoke this encounter.

Redpb
07-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Stupid tree hugging bicyclist. Had he been in a car, none of this would have ever happened. He brought this on himself really.

Sombeech
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
wow, amazing. You do have to wonder why the cop started running towards this cyclist though. Maybe he saw something he did up the street?

But still.....

The cyclist is clearly trying to avoid the cop, and even if the cyclist honked or yelled at somebody, it still doesn't justify being assaulted like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

More from this link:

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/29/cyclist_thrown_from_bike_by_cop_is.php

"According to Officer Pogan, Long rode his bike straight into him, knocking them both down and causing a

bbennett
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Wow! I hope he loses his job over this. It's interesting that the cyclist was charged with assault and the officer simply go put on "desk duty pending an investigation". I know if you or I were caught on video slamming someone to the ground from their bike (obviously unprovoked, as well), we would most certainly be charged.
Another prime example of cops being above the law. He wouldn't even be on "desk duty" were it not for this video and all charges against this innocent cyclist would hold up.

trackrunner
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
The cyclist is clearly trying to avoid the cop, and even if the cyclist honked or yelled at somebody, it still doesn't justify being assaulted like that.

you think the cop should have first tried to stop him by waving him down, yelling at him, etc. Usually cops stop cars by using lights, siren, etc before raming the car.

accadacca
07-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Shafted! Scum bag cop. :frustrated:

trackrunner
07-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Something similar happened at a ride in SLC. Read psychenaut comments too. Though it appears the rider and the officer both admitted to being in the wrong and parted ways with an appology and hand shake.
http://www.saltcycle.com/2008/07/should-non-fleeing-person-be-tackled.html

Deathcricket
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Haa! Clearly the cyclist was in the wrong. he could have avoided the cop by charging into the pedestrians on the side of the street.

Seriously though, clearly a cop abusing his authority. Throw the book at em.

greyhair biker
07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
brute force was clearly NOT necessary here.........but why didnt the cyclist use his BRAKES? the cop still deserves to cool off and think about his life choices......ticket the cyclist sure but knock him off his bike?! sheesh! :frustrated:

abirken
07-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Clearly the cyclist was steering to the left, trying to avoid the cop. What the hell was this cop thinking? Stupid uniform went to his brain. :ne_nau:

Mooseman70
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Take it at face value. We have no idea what happened before this clip was shot. We have no info as to why the Officer took the cyclist down. I watched the Officers in the street and it appears they were looking for somebody - checking out all the cyclists as they rode past their position in the street.

I'm not defending the Officer's actions, but there is a lot more to the story than what this clip shows, I'm sure.

I know there's a lot of cop-haters on here, so let the flaming begin. :popcorn:

Deathcricket
07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Cop hater? *raises hand* I have run into cool cops though and can tell in 5 seconds if they suck or not. All about the attitude.

He (the cop) made no attempt to stop him (the cyclist) though. I think a simple outstretched hand or yelling "halt" might go a bit more in proving your theory. Also, the report doesn't say anything to indicate they were looking for him or had any previous contact. And lastly, if you look at his partner, he's supportive but clearly as shocked as everyone else. He looks right at the guy and makes no attempt in that direction.

I do support hearing the cops side of the story though. But he already had a chance to do that IMO. hopefully there will be updates and we can see though. Should be interesting.

:2thumbs:

Mooseman70
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Cop hater? *raises hand* I have run into cool cops though and can tell in 5 seconds if they suck or not. All about the attitude.

He (the cop) made no attempt to stop him (the cyclist) though. I think a simple outstretched hand or yelling "halt" might go a bit more in proving your theory. Also, the report doesn't say anything to indicate they were looking for him or had any previous contact. And lastly, if you look at his partner, he's supportive but clearly as shocked as everyone else. He looks right at the guy and makes no attempt in that direction.

I do support hearing the cops side of the story though. But he already had a chance to do that IMO. hopefully there will be updates and we can see though. Should be interesting.

:2thumbs:

Oh, but of course! Folks ALWAYS stop for the police when they stick out their hands and yell "STOP!". I'm not trying to "prove a theory" as you put it, but again, we don't know all of the circumstances. We're merely seeing a short video clip of the Officer body checking the guy off of his bike.

I focused on the Officer's partner in the video clip and watched it several times over. I cannot even tell what kind of look is on his face. You claim "he's supportive but clearly as shocked as everyone else." You can't be serious?!?! You can actually make out his facial expressions on that grainy YouTube clip? :lol8: Man, you need to tell me who your optometrist is. I need my eyes as sharp as your seem to be. Either that, or let me borrow your Superman specs. Thanks for the laugh, DC.

I heard on a news clip today that the Officer has been reassigned to a desk job, so he's clearly gotten boned for his actions. I'd love to know the whole story, though.

I will say that was one heckuva cross check he delivered, though. I wonder if he was as former hockey player? :lol8:

LOAH
07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh c'mon. The cop was being a dick.

I can't say that I approve of a major crowd of cyclists blocking Time Square though. Arrogant bastards.

Sombeech
07-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah, he and his partner definitely picked out that cyclist at the same time. I wonder what really set them off.

Mooseman70
07-30-2008, 06:29 AM
[quote="LOAH"]Oh c'mon. The cop was being a dick. [quote]

Everybody is so quick to judge. We don't know why the Officer knocked the guy off his bike. Could the Officer have been an ass? Absolutely. Could the cyclist have been an ass? Absolutely.

Some folks suddenly become experts on knowing what has taken place by watching a 30 second YouTube clip? I don't buy it for a second.

tallsteve
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM
You can actually read the court/arrest document here:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0729081bike1.html

Nowhere in this document does the cop state anything about what the cyclist was doing up the street, off camera, other than he was weaving in and out of traffic from the center line causing cars to stop or change course abruptly. I thought maybe the cyclist flipped the cop off up the street or whacked a car with a pump or something but the cop in this statement never says anything like that. It also appears to me that the cars were already stopped to begin with. You can tell there is an intersection there when the camera pans to the right. Maybe the light turned red and the cyclist ignored that and went through anyway causing some cars to stop suddenly but again the cop doesn't state that's what happened. Because the video and the court document are so completely contradictory, I have to fall on the side of the video evidence. Regardless, there are ways to better handle the situation instead of bodychecking this poor schmuck into oblivion!

Mooseman70
07-30-2008, 09:18 AM
The link isn't to the Officer's actual report. It's only a court charging document, which has just the minimum amount of information given. I'd be curious to read a copy of his actual report. That may or may not be more informative.

I agree that there are a number of ways that this situation could have been handled. Since he had to turn in his badge and gun for a desk job, his superiors appear to support that his actions / use of force wasn't appropriate for the situation.

Iceaxe
07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
bwaaaahahahahaha....if you put a bottle of summers eve next to that cop, you can't tell them apart.

:lol8:

Deathcricket
07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
bwaaaahahahahaha....if you put a bottle of summers eve next to that cop, you can't tell them apart.

Is it ok to admit it took me 5 seconds to get that joke? Friggin hilarious once the lightbulb "dinged" over my head though.
:roflol:

LOAH
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't hate cops. I grew up around them. I have some buddies that are cops.

I hate dick cops that act like they're in a gang and try to push people around. They spoil it for the good guys.

That cops was being a dick. It seems that his superiors would also agree, or at least felt it was necessary to appease the public.

Trust me, I'm the last guy to automatically take the side of a cyclist. I can't stand cocky bikers in my way, yet I'm still forced to share the road with them as if they had a motor (or paid regestration fees).

Venting, sorry.

Bad cop. Should've handled it differently, but he screwed up and now he's pushing paper. Serves him right.

DiscGo
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
That video shows everything that is wrong with "cops", unfortunately it does a great disservice to everything that is right with cops. Cops do a lot of good, and it only takes a small handful (like this jerk) that ruin it for the rest.

accadacca
07-30-2008, 09:59 PM
That video shows everything that is wrong with "cops", unfortunately it does a great disservice to everything that is right with cops. Cops do a lot of good, and it only takes a small handful (like this jerk) that ruin it for the rest.
Well put.

KapitanSparrow
07-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Does it say what precinct the cop was from? Cops from the 13th rock! Although critical mass folks may disagree.

JP
07-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Although critical mass folks may disagree.
That's because they're armchair quarterbacks lacking knowledge :haha:

Mooseman70
07-31-2008, 07:04 AM
According to the charging document, "14 Precinct - Midtown South Precinct." In my trip back to NYC for the Millennium celebration, I met several NYPD brothers, and they don't mess around. They are products of their environment, as are most cops.

DiscGo, you are right on the money. A few can really screw it up for the rest of us out there that don't have "John Wayne" syndrome.

Mooseman70
07-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Although critical mass folks may disagree.
That's because they're armchair quarterbacks lacking knowledge :haha:

Can I get an AMEN!

JP
07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
AMEN http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/expressive/pray.gif :haha:

KapitanSparrow
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I just saw the video and my verdict is this cop is a DICK! Even if the guy made faces or whatever, you don't take a person down like that. Did he used the flashlight in the take down?

abirken
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..................Now that's some funny shite Ice. :lol8: