PDA

View Full Version : fishing high uintas

vamedtech
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm heading up to the chain lakes area of the uintas. I'm going to pack in my fly rod. I'm not a real experienced fly fisherman and am not sure what kind of fly to use. Any suggestions would be helpful. Any other suggestions as to bait would be nice to. Thanks

denaliguide
07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
try a royal coachman, royal wulff, adam, or elk hair caddis. i have always caught fish on these four flies. they are a major part of my fly box. you can also use a dropper (if it's legal there) like a pheasant tail, or gold ribbed hare's ear nymph. doubles your chances.

chickenlicken
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I like a mosquito or a black gnat. Renegades also seem to get something interested. I have better luck with a fly and bubble rig on the lakes.

Last Child
07-22-2008, 08:29 AM
My all time "old reliable" is the woolly bugger. Different sizes & different colors but I tie up a green black combo that seems to be the one I am tying up most. Easy to fish too. Floating line and just let em sit sometimes. I have much better luck with wet flies. For dry I like the mosquito, humpy, caddis.

Sounds like fun.

PolarXJ
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I used a black ant once and did really well on small brookies. I think it was big elk lake that I used it on.

paraAdams
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Every fly mentioned above can/will get the job done up in the High Uintas.

I want to throw my hat in the ring by suggesting a red ant. I think we the wind blows up there, the ants come flying off the trees onto the water. I've always had great luck with a red ant. Give it a try!

The other suggestion is to make sure you bring a pair of Teva or Chaco sandals (or Keens). So you can wade out into the lake as far as you can. That will certainly help your casting.