PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor/Jetting Issue

DaveOU812
07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Ok so I'm asking for some help once again. I'm having some Carburetor/Jetting issues. My bike is running way too rich in the Idle to 1/4 throttle. I rejet my carbs today and took my main jet down 2 sizes and my pilot jets down one size. It's running worse than before. Bogging out and blowing black smoke. I took my pilot screw to 2 turns out and still no change. What else can I do to lean my low end out? Anyone know anything about carbs?

DaveOU812
07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I asked on a motorcycle forum that I am a member and was suggested that it may be my emulsion tubes...??? Does this hold any weight?

Reedus
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Don't mess with your main jets. They only control your throttle from about half to wide open. Your problem lies in your idle screw/pilot/needle taper. If the bike has been sitting for awile before you got it, you probably have clogged pilot jets. Even if you change out the the pilot for a new one, you still could possibly have junk and crap in the carb passages. If it was my bike, I would take it out aand have someone heat clean it. Then I would start from zero. If you make a change to the pilot jet, don't change anything else like the fuel screw. Isolate everything you do to one step processes and you will figure it out. If it was me, I would look up the altitude for the bike and install the correct pilot screw. Then I would play with the needle until you get to where you want. Raising the needle richens, while lowering the needle leans it out. The needle position is responsible for your 0 to 1/4 turn on the throttle. Hope that helps.

DaveOU812
08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Even after hearing your advice, I've decided to go with the emultion tubes. They should be here tomorrow and should be able to give it a whirl before work at 12. I might have to go back to the stock jets but thats only $13 and about an hour. I'll let you guys know how it does when I get er all done up pretty.

accadacca
08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
You gonna get that thing outta the barn soon then huh. :haha:

DaveOU812
08-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Yea, it might just move from the barn to my garage but we'll see.