PDA

View Full Version : October Bogley

DiscGo
07-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Richard Barron and his wife are going to be in Moab come October, and I think we should organize a get together. I doubt most of us need excuses to go to Moab, so it would probably be more of a scheduling issue, so I thought I'd test the waters and see what you guys thought?

Maybe you have to be extra awesome to be a full time member of this site and still live far away, which is why people like Cirrus, JP, & Richard stand out. I think it would be awesome to plan an Uber Bogley fest like a year in advance or whatever to try and get everyone together, but in the mean time I thought we could start with October.

Brewhaha
07-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Sounds good to me. I could probably travel the 50-ish miles to Moab to meet the legendary Barron and Barroness. Maybe we make it a photographic centered get together?

R
07-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Richard Barron and his wife are going to be in Moab come October, and I think we should organize a get together. I doubt most of us need excuses to go to Moab, so it would probably be more of a scheduling issue, so I thought I'd test the waters and see what you guys thought?

It would be our honor and privilege to meet anyone from this site in October. As you know, Abby is still quite weak after her illness, and one of her recovery goals is to return to Delicate Arch for our fourth anniversary. Having our Bogley friends with us would be total bonus.

Something that I have done but Abby has not is see the sun set at Delicate Arch. I know it's crawling with marklars then, but I'd still like her to see it. Maybe all the Bogleyites could bring a can of Silly String and we could just hose down the people we don't like!

Yes, I am kidding.

Cirrus2000
07-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Um - so how much of October? 'Cuz I'll be around for a while. The plan right now is to be somewhere in the Zion to Bryce to Escalante stretch from about the 10th to the 13th, with the family. After that, I'm dropping them off in LAS for their flight home. Then I'm driving east and north and east and north, or wherever. Maybe even Moab... Then back to Vancouver sometime around the 22nd to 26th.

I know the Big Day is the 12th, right? So if there's a big anniversary party that day, I'll have to miss it. :sad: But if there's a chance you're around later, I might be able to stop by! :five:

DiscGo
07-19-2008, 07:34 PM
That would be so cool if we could get both of your dates to work out.

R
07-19-2008, 08:40 PM
The exact date is flexible. In fact, my job and Mitchell's school schedule often mean we take our anniversary trip a week or two after that actual day. As October gets a little closer, especially when we get a school schedule, I can pin down a more specific date.

Cirrus2000
07-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Very cool - I'll be watching for updates! If all works out, we'll have to have some vegan delights! I'll even forgo my lacto-ovo ways in your honour... :)

Might have to set up a SLC area shindig a few days later, on my way through. Hoping to get in a Wasatch or even Uinta hike on this trip - haven't hiked north of I-70 yet.

By the way, DiscGo, thanks for the kind words upthread... :rockon:

Win
07-20-2008, 06:44 AM
We're probably going to do an October trip of some kind. A day or two in Moab might just work.

Hey, Kevin, thinking of you last night, we ate at Whiptails. Let us know when you're in Zion , we'll definitely get togather. We'll at least have Happy Hour at the house.

Win

R
09-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Okay, the October Bogley hook-up is now just weeks away. In order to start planning exactly when we'd like to come, can I get some input from you guys? We are looking at the week Oct. 20-25, but that remains somewhat flexible. The sooner we can nailed it down, the sooner I can advise my editors when I am going to be gone.

That's the when. The where is Moab. The what is hiking, and I am of a mind that Abby and I will have our dogs, so I am looking for at least some trails that are easy to moderate and dog friendly. I was looking at the BLM Moab web site and found a list...

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/hiking_trails.html

Trail suggestions are appreciated.

Also, we want to hike up to Delicate Arch at some point (since it is an anniversary trip and that's where we got married), and I think it would be nice to watch the sunset there. I was there for sunset in 2005, but Abby has never been there for sunset.

There will probably be a day or two in the middle when Abby would like to take a day off, so we could do something more strenuous then. I'd still like to hike the Alcove Spring trail to Zeus and Moses at Canyonlands, or the Syncline Loop.

It could be just a few Bogleyites, or a bunch of us. We'd love to meet many of you, but if few can make it, we'll still be happy. So, how about a show of hands?

hank moon
09-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey, Kevin, thinking of you last night, we ate at Whiptails.

Hey Win, what did you have? I haven't been there in months! I need a fire asada taco fix...

R
09-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Ah, yes, these dogs. Sierra is the long-coat and Max is the smooth-coat, traditional-looking Chihuahuha. The both like to hike with us, and are great fun on the trail. In tougher spots, we can just pick them up with one hand and carry them. Word of caution: don't reach for Max until you get to know him, especially if one of us is holding him, since he is very protective and might nip at you.

Abby with Sierra at Fisher Towers...

http://richardbarron.net/dd/powerofthree/snapshots/abbyfishertowers03.jpg

Mitchell with Max...

http://richardbarron.net/dd/powerofthree/snapshots/mitchmaxft0301.jpg

Me with Max two years ago at Butler Wash...

http://richardbarron.net/dd/twelvelegs/us/rbmaxbutler01.jpghttp://richardbarron.net/dd/twelvelegs/us/rbmaxbutler02.jpg

DiscGo
09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I am still planning on heading down to Moab for this in October.

Ih8grvty
09-07-2008, 07:18 PM

I thought Moab was the excuse?

Id love to make it, but won't no matter the dates. Still cost cash I dont currently have. Sometime in the future I plan on making the trip and hitting a bogley event, but unfortunately it cant be right now

Cirrus2000
09-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm still waiting to find out what leave is confirmed for me. I'll probably know for sure tomorrow. It comes down to what day I have to be back in Vancouver. It'll be either the 23rd of October, or the 27th (wife's birthday - I'm skipping out on our 22nd anniversary in December, so I'd better not miss this...)

I'm definitely leaving here for points south on Oct. 4. Then I'm with wife & kids from the 9th to the 14th. Then a day or two in Red Rocks, NV with some Vancouver "homies". Then the plans are open. I definitely plan on some days in the Escalante area. I might do a couple of days in Zion if I can meet up with someone versed in canyons & permits.

Then it's home, whenever I have to be.

If I have to work on the 23rd, I'll probably be driving home on the 21-22nd. If it's later, I can come hang with the crew...

More when I know more...

Win
09-08-2008, 05:23 AM
We're just making plans with some friends for a mid to late Oct vacation. Not sure where we'll be going but Moab still might work.

Hank, that's what I had. They were excellent. The waiter keeps pushing the spaghetti squash enchilada. I tried it recently and didn't really care for it.

Win

abirken
09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. It'd be great to meet up with Richard and Abby to say HELLO. Moab is only a hop, skip and jump away for me and October is a gorgeous time of year to enjoy the desert. :2thumbs: :nod:

R
09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I am going to visit with my editor in the morning to see about the week of Oct. 19-25, which we would prefer because of other events earlier in the month. If that won't work, Oct. 12-18 is the other option. I'll find out tomorrow and let everybody know. Remember that it takes us a day and a half to get to Moab. Abby and I are still talking about where to stay - Moab or Monticello. More on that later, too.

In any case, Utah here we come! :nod:

Brewhaha
09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
If you end up staying in Monticello I make a mean cheesecake (ask Rockgremlim - or rather ask his wife :naughty: ) and we can hook you up with some Navajo Tacos.

R
09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
If you end up staying in Monticello I make a mean cheesecake (ask Rockgremlim - or rather ask his wife :naughty: ) and we can hook you up with some Navajo Tacos.

Our son Mitchell and I stayed in Monticello in June 2006, then in October of 2006 Abby and I stayed there with the dogs. We like it there a lot.

The June trip... http://richardbarron.net/galleries/point/
The October trip... http://richardbarron.net/dd/twelvelegs/

Scout Master
09-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I really like that Days inn in Monticello. They have a nice indoor pool

tanya
09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
This looks like it might be fun.... maybe for me..... It's so dang far away, but I have meet Richard on my to do list!

R
09-09-2008, 06:03 AM
This looks like it might be fun.... maybe for me..... It's so dang far away, but I have meet Richard on my to do list!

If meeting me is on your A list, meeting Abby is certain to be on your AA++ list.

It wouldn't be the same without you, Tanya!

tanya
09-09-2008, 07:38 AM

If meeting me is on your A list, meeting Abby is certain to be on your AA++ list.

It wouldn't be the same without you, Tanya!

I feel I know you from your posts, and don't know Abby really at all, but from all the things you say about her, who would not adore her and want to spend time with her! I also missed meeting you when you were right by me and that always makes me want to meet someone when I messed up and did not do it the first time. :nod:

Rev. Coyote
09-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Wish I could make it. One of these days, Richard. You and I will have a lot to talk about.

Hey, if anyone is looking for a place to stay, I would HIGHLY recommend the Mount Peale Inn at Old La Sal.

www.mtpeale.com

R
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Okay, it's set. Abby and I hit the road with the dogs on Saturday, October 18, and will be in the Moab area starting Monday the 20th. As time gets closer, we can decide when and where to meet and what to do. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to take Abby to Delicate Arch for a sunset, we would like to hike with our dogs a couple of days, and I would like to hike, maybe in Canyonlands, on the day or two Abby takes to recuperate, most likely mid-week. We need to leave mid-day Thursday for the day and a half drive home, since I need to work on that Saturday.

Looks like this is going to happen people. Time to lose ten pounds, charge your camera batteries, and get out your trail maps. :nod:

Brewhaha
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Any interest in having dinner somewhere in Moab one night? Maybe Zaks or the Brewery?

Cirrus2000
09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Any interest in having dinner somewhere in Moab one night? Maybe Zaks or the Brewery?
I'm hoping my timing will work out for that. Right now my schedule is hurting - I have to be back in Vancouver the evening of the 22nd :frustrated:, but I'm desperately working on swapping shifts with my cohorts, to give me an extra few days. I may well not know until the last minute, though!

Brewhaha
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
It would be cool to see you again Kev. I'm hiking with Les this Friday (hopefully) down in the Anasazi playground.

R
09-09-2008, 03:50 PM

We'd be on board with that!

Cirrus2000
09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
It would be cool to see you again Kev. I'm hiking with Les this Friday (hopefully) down in the Anasazi playground.
Yeah, hoping to see you again too, Shane. And of course, meet Richard & Abby, maybe DiscGo, abirken, and anyone else who can make it!

Hope you and Les have a good hike!

As of today, I have 1 more day off, so I'm creeping toward my goal... :2thumbs:

RedMan
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
If you are there on Oct 17 or 18 don't miss Jim Stiles Movie at Star Hall.

"Brave New West" is an 80 minute documentary and does a great job of pointing out some issues that often get overlooked relating to tourism, wilderness and policies in the west.

I'll be there, probably the 17th showing.

http://www.highplainsfilms.org/fp_brave_screen.html

Jim Stiles is publisher of the Canyon Country Zephyr and while he hates it being known as "Edward Abbeys friend", he knew him well and carries the torch.

abirken
09-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Richard......I have a feeling you and Abby are going to be celebrities when you arrive in our neck of the woods. We all want to say HI and meet you guys. Watch out for the Bogley paparazzi. HEHE!!! Glad you guys firmed up dates. :2thumbs: :haha:

R
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
I dreamed all night about the people in this thread. Very vivid. I think in the dream we were at a restaurant having a party. It was pretty cool. -R

R
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.breaktaker.com/albums/pictures/signs/Bump.jpg

Cirrus2000
09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to be able to be there around mid-week after all! I'm looking at the 21st/22nd, possibly into the 23rd (leaving for sushi in SLC that evening!)

By the way, I'll probably be in Zion on the weekend before (18/19 Oct), with a friend. Anyone planning to be there around then?

R
09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Abby and I were dreaming about winning the lottery the other day, and I was trying to convince her that we needed an SR-22 GTS Turbo. Need. We could totally fly to Utah all the time.

http://www.andrealuethi.com/Images/Cirrus%20SR22.jpg

Me wantee!

bbennett
09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Abby and I were dreaming about winning the lottery the other day, and I was trying to convince her that we needed an SR-22 GTS Turbo. Need. We could totally fly to Utah all the time.

http://www.andrealuethi.com/Images/Cirrus%20SR22.jpg

Me wantee!

Ooh, yes.... the aesthetic beauty of a glass cockpit, and the warm security of the ballistic parachute. I've always loved the Cirrus.

Here's my lottery purchase :
AW119
http://www.agustawestland.com/dinimg/AW509%20A119%20Koala2(2).jpg

or:
EC135
http://www.med.unc.edu/nursing/programs/aircare/images/EC%20land%20roadway.jpg

Cirrus2000
09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Mmmm, SR-22.

And mmmm, Fenestron tail - gotta love those quiet EC135s (and the EC120s ain't bad, either).

I didn't know there was a single engine version of the A109 - we have one of those operating in & out of Vancouver regularly, and a small fleet of AW139s (2 growing to 4 in the next year) in a charter capacity.

</AviationGeekery>

bbennett
09-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Mmmm, SR-22.

And mmmm, Fenestron tail - gotta love those quiet EC135s (and the EC120s ain't bad, either).

I didn't know there was a single engine version of the A109 - we have one of those operating in & out of Vancouver regularly, and a small fleet of AW139s (2 growing to 4 in the next year) in a charter capacity.

</AviationGeekery>

Yeah, the EC120's look cool, but at our altitude, they're extremely power-limited. They aren't even all that great at sea level. Now the EC130, on the other hand, that's a great ship. Isn't it amazing how much more quiet a helicopter can be with a Fenestrom?

I've got a buddy that's flown both the AW119 and the 109. He said that the 119 actually has more power than its twin engine sister. I never would have guessed it. I'm hoping to get a job with his company in the near future and find out for myself. So far, it's been just Bell and Robinson products for me.

Those AW139's are SWEET! I looked inside one a few weeks ago and it had the exact same cockpit as my uncles G4. All glass, all Honeywell perfection.

R
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Arrrghh! Abby just called from work to tell me that all leave not approved by July 1 this year has been canceled. They are apparently quite short-handed, and no one is particularly happy about it. So, no Abby in October. :cry:

I, on the other hand, have the time off and will probably be there as planned. I still want to meet the lot of you, and hopefully hike with you. The hiking is different without Abby and the dogs. Does anyone have a vehicle that can make it to the Maze in October? I've got my eye on some of the longerish trails at Canyonlands, too: Alcove Spring to Zeus and Moses, the Syncline Loop, Wilhite, the Confluence Overlook. And of course I am totally open to suggestion.

I am still slated to be there the week of October 19-24.

Abby and I will celebrate our anniversary, which is Sunday, October 12, doing something special for her.

R
09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Any thoughts on this? You guys still coming?

KapitanSparrow
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd love to but I just spent too much money and vacation time on all kinds of trips to New York with one more to go (Christmas), plus trip to Phoenix in December. :ne_nau:

Cirrus2000
09-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Richard, a shame that Abby can't make it...

I plan to be there around the 21/22, and leave the 23rd for SLC.

I can definitely do a dinner thing on either (or both?) of those evenings.

I think that my plan is to hike up Mt. Tukuhnikivats on the 22nd. (I'd like to check out some of the actual mountains in the area, having concentrated on canyons, primarily, around there.)

More to come - just got called in to work early - gotta run!

Udink
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd love to meet up for a hike or something similar. I have to work all day in Orem on the 21st (though that date is not finalized), but I'll be able to take any other day off work that week to meet up.

Brewhaha
09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I'll be there.

DiscGo
09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I will be totally be there on the weekend of the 19th.

If you guys can make it up north, it would be cool to do a dinner or something in SLC or Provo.

R
09-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I may still borrow my friend's Honda Element. Do you guys think an Element could handle the White Rim Road at Canyonlands? -R

Rev. Coyote
09-25-2008, 09:50 AM
I may still borrow my friend's Honda Element. Do you guys think an Element could handle the White Rim Road at Canyonlands? -R

My wife has an Element, and I'd not take it on any more than a dirt road. It's great on ice and in mud, but is limited by its low ground clearance. Maybe rent a Jeep for that jaunt (it'll set you back about $200/day).

According to the NPS, "Under favorable weather conditions, the White Rim Road is considered moderately difficult for high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicles. The steep, exposed sections of the Shafer Trail, Lathrop Canyon Road, Murphy

R
09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks. I was just thinking about this upcoming trip and what I want to do. -R

Rev. Coyote
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks. I was just thinking about this upcoming trip and what I want to do. -R

I'd call Canyonlands and ask, since there's been a load of road improvement done lately on public lands. Nothing like firsthand information.

James_B_Wads2000
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I dreamed all night about the people in this thread. Very vivid. I think in the dream we were at a restaurant having a party. It was pretty cool. -R

Was I naked in your dream? :a:

I would be able to travel to Moab the weekend of the 17th thru the 19th. Keep me posted on what you guys got planned.

James
:popcorn:

R
10-10-2008, 07:19 AM
The time draws near. Here is my plan...

-My friend Michael has offered to let me use his Honda Element. It is silver, and you can recognize it by the blue and white logo in the side windows that says, "Diverse CTI."

-Driving Saturday, Oct. 18; ending up in Monticello. Driving to Moab Sunday morning. I am staying in Moab for three days I think. After that I might camp or sleep in the Element somewhere. I am returning to Oklahoma in time to work Saturday, Oct. 25.

-Would love to hike with any or all of you. Here are the trails/areas I would like to consider on this visit...

Tower Arch Trail/Klondike Bluffs at Arches
Syncline Loop Trail at Canyonlands
Alcove Spring Trail at Canyonlands
Wilhite Trail at Canyonlands
Murphy Hogback at Canyonlands
Gooseberry at Canyonlands
Gemini Bridges
Hidden Valley Trail/Behind the Rocks
Hunter Canyon and the Kane Creek Road
Trough Springs Trail at Hatch Point
Amphitheater Loop Trail at Hittle Bottom
Onion Creek Bench Trail

-Other activities open to discussion.

-Possibly meeting up with a buddy from Boston, who is contemplating flying to Las Vegas and hooking up with a friend in St. George, then driving to Moab.

-I will try to have a laptop with me, but WiFi is unknown.

-My phone number is 5 8 0 3 9 9 5 2 3 3. (Hopefully the spaces will discourage bots from recognizing it as a phone number.) For the few of you with amateur radio, call KC5TFZ on 146.52, or try to meet me on a Moab machine.

-Any more suggestions or idea are welcome.

R
10-12-2008, 06:39 PM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/bump.jpg

Cirrus2000
10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry, kind of been out of touch (See the Sushi-fest #2 thread - stranded in Vegas).

Richard, do your three days in Moab mean Sun/Mon/Tues? Or 3 nights?

I plan to arrive in Moab sometime Tuesday. Any chance of dinner on Tuesday night? Brew? Anyone else?

I plan on doing something on Wednesday, then staying another night in/near Moab. I'll be leaving for SLC and sushi on Thursday morning.

R
10-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Sorry, kind of been out of touch (See the Sushi-fest #2 thread - stranded in Vegas).

Richard, do your three days in Moab mean Sun/Mon/Tues? Or 3 nights?

I plan to arrive in Moab sometime Tuesday. Any chance of dinner on Tuesday night? Brew? Anyone else?

I plan on doing something on Wednesday, then staying another night in/near Moab. I'll be leaving for SLC and sushi on Thursday morning.

I am planning to arrive in Moab Sunday morning and hike and explore for about three days. I may be in Moab Wednesday and part of Thursday even - my only requirement is that I be back in Oklahoma Saturday for work. Dinner Tuesday sounds great, as does a cold brew. You have my number from the previous post. I am not sure I'll have our laptop with me, so call, and if you don't get me, leave a message, since service is spotty in that area.

Oh, and if you have an airplane, please bring it and please please please let me fly it. :hail2thechief:

Cirrus2000
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I am planning to arrive in Moab Sunday morning and hike and explore for about three days. I may be in Moab Wednesday and part of Thursday even - my only requirement is that I be back in Oklahoma Saturday for work. Dinner Tuesday sounds great, as does a cold brew. You have my number from the previous post. I am not sure I'll have our laptop with me, so call, and if you don't get me, leave a message, since service is spotty in that area.

Oh, and if you have an airplane, please bring it and please please please let me fly it. :hail2thechief:
Ha - airplane. I wish I could still afford to do that stuff! Haven't flown in 3 years, and don't expect I will again. Never say never, of course, but not likely. I'll live vicariously through the tower frequency! Found other things to do though - like traveling to Utah, for example... :2thumbs:

I'll give you a shout as soon as I hit Moab - keep Tuesday evening free!

Anyone else?!?!

Brewhaha
10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Dinner Tuesday sounds great. Pick a place and anytime at or after 6 would work for me. I'll watch for a post here or give Richard a ring if I don't see anything posted.

R
10-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Dinner Tuesday sounds great. Pick a place and anytime at or after 6 would work for me. I'll watch for a post here or give Richard a ring if I don't see anything posted.

By the way, I'll be rolling into Monticello late tonight. It's a nice little town - we like it a lot.

Brewhaha
10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Hope you made it to 'Cello. Look me up if you need anything.

R
10-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Hope you made it to 'Cello. Look me up if you need anything.

I'm here in Monticello. I had a nice 15-hour jaunt from home. I'm at the National 9 Navajo Trail Inn. Abby and I stayed here two years ago and we had a great time. Dwight told me the MD Ranch is out of business for good. Shame; Abby and I had breakfast there every day that week, and it was really nice.

Hoping to get a good night's sleep and get out the door in the direction of Moab at first light.

Cirrus2000
10-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm easy as far as a place for Tuesday night. I haven't eaten at many places in town. Mostly just the Arches Book Company for coffee in the morning, and dinner at the Miguel's Baja Grill across the street.

No preference, for me...

Brewhaha
10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Richard, Kev, et al.

I'll watch the board tomorrow to see if you guys pick a restaurant for dinner. If you have no preference then I would recommend the Brewery or Eddie McStiff's.

Anyone else planning on being around? DiscGo?

R
10-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Richard, Kev, et al.

I'll watch the board tomorrow to see if you guys pick a restaurant for dinner. If you have no preference then I would recommend the Brewery or Eddie McStiff's.

Anyone else planning on being around? DiscGo?

They both sound fine to me. I am hiking in the Needles tomorrow if anyone wants to joins me. I'm getting a pretty early start, though, so if you want to go, phone me tonight or before about 7am tomorrow. I will hopefully be back in Moab by 5-ish, when we can get a bite and stuff. Call me: 580 399 5233.

-Richard

Cirrus2000
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Panguitch, northbound. Moab ETA: 5:30-ish. Will get a campsite then be at... Eddie McStiff's! (There - called it!) at 6:00.

Brewhaha
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm afraid I'm gonna miss you Kev. I just got dumped on at work and can't afford to make the Moab trip. Drink a Pepsi for me. I'll watch for you next time.

:sad:

R
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Got your voicemail, Shane. Work can be that way. Universal sadness all around. But, hey, there's always next time.

R
10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm going to say that hiking yesterday with Cirrus2000 was an unqualified success. We took the Alcove Spring Trail to the Zeus and Moses formation (though we still don't know which is which) at Canyonlands, which took most of the day. Toward sunset we went out to the White Rim Overlook, which has always been one of my favorite places, and which I think might now be one of Kevin's favorites too. Excellent day.

First image: Kevin and me at Zeus and Moses...

http://myweb.cableone.net/abbysm/pix/rbkevzm01.jpg

Second image taken a day earlier at the Confluence Overlook Trail...

What's that up on the trail? It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Bogleyman! Faster that a speeding red-tailed lizard! Able to leap tall switchbacks in a single bound! Fighting for truth, justice, and not trampling on cryptobiotic soil...

http://myweb.cableone.net/abbysm/pix/bogleyman01.jpg

-R

abirken
10-23-2008, 07:56 AM
It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome to see these photos of you all hiking together. Love love love the Bogleyman photo. HAHA!!!!! Sure wish I could meet you guys in person. Next time hopefully!! :nod: :2thumbs:

DiscGo
10-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Awesome!!! I really wish I were with you guys! I'm so sorry I couldn't make it.

Brewhaha
10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Well done, gents.

R
10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Here's another that Kevin shot of me with my camera...

http://myweb.cableone.net/abbysm/pix/rbwrol01.jpg

-R

Sombeech
10-23-2008, 09:23 PM

:lol8: :2thumbs:

blueeyes
10-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Faster that a speeding red-tailed lizard! Able to leap tall switchbacks in a single bound! Fighting for truth, justice, and not trampling on criptobiotic soil...

I love the Bogleyman motto... :lol8:

Cirrus2000
10-24-2008, 12:46 AM
It was an excellent time! Thanks for the hike suggestion, Richard, and for driving to it and those great viewpoints!

A couple more photos...

Crossing the Saddle of Infinitesimal Risk:
http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/uutah/img_2248.jpg

and Richard doing his thing:
http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/uutah/img_2329.jpg

By the way, the Vegan Pizza at Eddie McStiff's is delicious!

A shame that we didn't get to meet DiscGo, and that Brewhaha couldn't make it either!

accadacca
10-26-2008, 03:53 PM

Awesome!!! I really wish I were with you guys! I'm so sorry I couldn't make it.
Nice. :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: