PDA

View Full Version : WALL*E (spoilers probably)

Deathcricket
07-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Holy crap... has anyone besides me seen this movie? I wasn't expecting much but it was at a convenient time slot for what I had available. And it's Pixar which has never done me wrong.

I was amazed.... The story is what really put me over the edge. Humans use up/waste all the earths resources and have move into space while having robots "clean up our mess". They get so lazy with modern luxuries, they become fat slobs riding around in floating "chairs". Total and utter consumers being told what to think and do.

Not sure how much more to say without spoiling it. But it's presented in a light manner so kids will understand it, but deep enough for the adults to contemplate. The music is flawless and of course the animation top notch. Even the cockroach is so simple, yet perfectly executed. The scene with them floating in space nearly had me in tears it was soo wonderful. Has anyone else watched this and found it as impressive as I did or not so much?

JP
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a great enviro movie :roll: :haha:

Alex
07-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Would 5 year old kid find it good?

devo_stevo
07-16-2008, 06:28 AM
I dug the movie. I really enjoyed the way that they blamed it all on Wal-Mart (don't tell me that's not who Buy-N-Large was modeled after) and lazy fat people.

In the end, I loved it. Very good stuff.

Mooseman70
07-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I took my 4 year old and 2 year old to see it a couple weekends ago. All they cared about were the robots, so taking your 5 year old to see WALL-E should still be fun - they won't understand the plot - but it's not about that for kids.

FROGGER
07-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Would 5 year old kid find it good?

No they wont, to be honest with you this is by far the worst pixar i have ever seen. We went with the entire family, 12 adults and 9 kids ranging from 2 - 8 and ALL of us were bored and ready to leave after the first 40 min.. Not a good movie. In fact my father in law fell asleep and i was playing a game on my phone... the story line is lame and kids will not get it at all...

they mix animation with real life characters, which i cant stand and use the film as a enviro/ political stab at the USA..

To be fair, the animation was great and the sound perfect but the plot and story were sub par....

Alex
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Hmm I might just wait for a Blue-ray then, I can't stand theaters anyways. Too many people chewing on popcorn and kicking the back seat.

From you all describing it, it sounds like one of my most favorite movies called "Idiocracy" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/) have you all seen it?

hank moon
07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Holy crap... has anyone besides me seen this movie?

Yeah, it was good. Nice allusions from past sci-fi such as (esp.) 2001 , Nausicaa, Matrix, etc. Beautiful film and love the By N Large satire.

Fred Willard was inspired choice!

hank moon
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Hmm I might just wait for a Blue-ray then, I can't stand theaters anyways. Too many people chewing on popcorn and kicking the back seat.

From you all describing it, it sounds like one of my most favorite movies called "Idiocracy" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/) have you all seen it?

Idiocracy - yeah! Good one - and I remember the giant store/city in that movie dwarfing the By N Large from Wall E. Good stuff.

I wouldn't wait for DVD, though - this one benefits a lot from a big screen viewing...

Alex
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't wait for DVD, though - this one benefits a lot from a big screen viewing...

I have a 52 inch of XBR4 sony lovin :haha: ... and no one said anything about a DVD, Bluray is where it's at.... :cool2:

I honestly can't stand going to the movies anymore, I believe I haven't set a foot in the movie theater for over 2 years now. First you end up blowing 30-40 bucks for 2 hours of entertainment, then you get some asshole next to you chewing or talking.

hank moon
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

I have a 52 inch of XBR4 sony lovin :haha: ... and no one said anything about a DVD, Bluray is where it's at.... :cool2:

oh, well i don't know about the new stuff, but 52" sounds big enough for fun!

Deathcricket
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
I dug the movie. I really enjoyed the way that they blamed it all on Wal-Mart (don't tell me that's not who Buy-N-Large was modeled after) and lazy fat people.

In the end, I loved it. Very good stuff.

Walmart is exactly what I was thinking also! How about the outlet mall on the moon "coming soon"? LoL. So many little things in there.

Yes it has similar things to idiocracy I noticed also. Water the plants with gatorade.... because plants crave electolytes.

:roflol:

DiscGo
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
By the commercial I had no interest, but now I am getting more interested. Thanks for the review.

Sombeech
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
I really enjoyed the way that they blamed it all on Wal-Mart (don't tell me that's not who Buy-N-Large was modeled after) and lazy fat people.

:lol8: They'll probably hold their tongue when 80% of DVD sales come from WalMart.

Scout Master
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I liked it!

Deathcricket
07-16-2008, 08:38 PM
and use the film as a enviro/ political stab at the USA..

To be fair, the animation was great and the sound perfect but the plot and story were sub par....

Just curious why do you say "USA" and not "the human race"? I will agree that it takes a stab that we are all silly consumers that will buy anything we are told too, wear what color clothes we are told too, eat crap that's not good for us, watch tv as our main form of entertainment, and toss perfectly good "things" away because we are "told" something is better. But I never felt I was being attacked as a US citizen. It was more a lifestyle slam and not "the USA sucks" kinda thing.

Edit: Was also going to comment on the similarities between you not being able to watch a movie for more than 40 mins without playing a video game on your phone, and the people in the movie who needed constant distraction with a screen 3 inches from their face.... but it came out sounding like a personal slam which I didn't want to do. *removed*

FROGGER
07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
the reason i said the USA is because i did not see a single Asian, Russian, Spaniard, Mexican and so on in the fat crowd..there was a black guy if i remember correctly...... Also as for playing my game, it was not because i "need to be distracted" it was because I was bored out of my mind with a pointless story line as was my 2 year old who kept asking if we could read books.... :nod: