PDA

View Full Version : The Exodus Decoded

JP
07-15-2008, 01:18 PM
The History Channel just had an episode on the Book of Exodus. Pretty interesting stuff. If any of you get the History Channel, this is worth the watch. They actually have science back the Biblical interpretation. August 20th seems to be the date, mark it on your calenders, very interesting. Especially explaining the ten plagues and the mountain where Moses received the Ten Commandments.

Website Page (http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=180012)

5 MIN CLIP (http://www.history.com/media.do?id=exodus_decoded_5min_broadband&action=clip)

jumar
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
That'd be cool to see. I watched one on Sunday about the crucifixion. It was very interesting.

Don
07-15-2008, 02:39 PM
They actually have science back the Biblical interpretation.

I'll likely watch this, I find the subject interesting. Like when the scifi channel does The Science of Star Wars or How Superman Flys; The Science of Superheros. Scientific theory based on fiction. Good stuff. :popcorn:

Scott Card
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
They actually have science back the Biblical interpretation.

I'll likely watch this, I find the subject interesting. Like when the scifi channel does The Science of Star Wars or How Superman Flys; The Science of Superheros. Scientific theory based on fiction. Good stuff. :popcorn: Help me out here. I take it you discount the Bible as fiction like Star Wars? Is that what you are saying? Or are you discounting the application of science to the bible? Or is science and religion a mutually exclusive proposition to you? Just curious and not trolling. :popcorn:

JP
07-15-2008, 03:16 PM
On that show I just watched, they even commented on how science and religion are polar opposites. The neat thing about this show was using science to prove the Exodus as a real account and not a myth.

Don
07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok, I just re-read my post and realize I may have come of rather troll like myself. I was going for the comedy angle and I do not intend to offend. I was trying to say that I find the subject interesting. Personally I find the bible to by rather far fetched (I

Don
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
The neat thing about this show was using science to prove the Exodus as a real account and not a myth.

The problem I find is that it is science with bias. A christain trying to prove some belief (anyone with a bias trying to prove his version) may not even realize he is overlooking data in the quest for proof, or maybe he is blatantly doing it because he wants his proof more than acurate science.
Science is always the quest for truth. Not the quest for proof.

JP
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Science is always the quest for truth. Not the quest for proof.
Oh, I agree with that totally. I have some friends that believe 100% in science. If science cannot prove it, it doesn't exist. They feel science will prove or disprove everything. I find it funny that science is playing a role in possibly proving the Book of Exodus as events that were real. Writings from the Bible that are actually real, when all this time science has said the Bible and its writings were just a fictitious story.

moabfool
07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I watched a Discovery Chanel show on The Ark of the Covenant. They were trying to explain its aparent magical powers, especially the power to kill on contact. The "scientist" claimed that the ancient Hebrews had figured out a way to construct a giant capacitor. This capacitance gave The Ark its power. The reason people died when they touched it was that they got a massive electrical shock.

The "scientist" in the program was trying to figure out how an ancient people could invent such an advanced technology. Naturally it couldn't be God, since God obviously doesn't exist. The only reasonable conclusion he could conjure: space aliens.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

That's because space aliens are a better explanation and far more believable than god. That's when I changed the chanel in an effort to preserve my intelligence.

Before saying that everything must be scientifically proven remember these limitations that science has placed on its self.

1- Science is not to be believed or disbelieved. Science is to be proven or disproven. Remember that the next time somebody starts spouting "facts" about global warming.

2- Science fails when the subject can't be quantified. Compare the statements, "It's hot outside," and "I enjoyed my hike on Saturday." Science can explain the first. Temperature can be placed under a quantitative analysis. Science can't accurately explain the second. Enjoyment of an activity can't be quantified and therefore falls outside of the limits of science.

As for the subject of explaining the events of The Exodus using science, this seems like an attempt by people who don't believe in God to explain away miracles. God is not quantifiable (mostly because he's infinite) therefore science feels that (s)he must be dismissed as a myth. The thing that these "scientists" forget is this; just because a thing is unquantifiable (I love my children, for example) doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's unimportant.