PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog

Mooseman70
07-15-2008, 07:51 AM
This is a link to a short video clip of an amazing new quadruped robot being field tested. :popcorn:

http://www.bostondynamics.com:80/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

The Most Advanced Quadruped Robot on Earth

BigDog is the alpha male of the Boston Dynamics family of robots. It is a quadruped robot that walks, runs, and climbs on rough terrain and carries heavy loads. BigDog is powered by a gasoline engine that drives a hydraulic actuation system. BigDog's legs are articulated like an animal

Udink
07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
That thing is awesome! It's almost freaky to watch it walk because its movements are so life-like. You could tell when it was walking up the cinder blocks that it would test its footing before putting its full weight to bear. I can't imagine the computer programming that went into that thing... :hail2thechief:

Jaxx
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
What is powering that thing a swarm of bees?
That is pretty amazing. I agree that is is freaky to watch.

Udink
07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
What is powering that thing a swarm of bees?
Sounds like a little two-stroker, probably from an R/C airplane or car.

Mooseman70
07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I thought it was amazing that it quickly regained its footing after the guy ran up and kicked it so hard. I laughed when I saw how it tried to keep its footing on the ice, though. Looks like a dog or a deer trying to walk on the slick stuff. :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
This is great and freaky! Imagine these things equipped with weapons and turning on human beings? Yikes!

RedMan
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Thats the idea. DARPA - Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

KapitanSparrow
07-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Thats the idea. DARPA - Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

No, I get it. I don't mind them fighting our enemies. I do not like the idea of having these things, even more capable, come at us 20 years from now, heh. This stinks of the terminator wars, heh.

abirken
07-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Fido? Clifford? Benji?
What's an appropriate name for this? That's the creepiest thing I've ever seen. :nod:

greyhair biker
07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Incredible - Clifford, that fits.