PDA

View Full Version : GPS Route after the fact

tmartenst
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I wasn't sure where to put a generic GPS question so hopefully this works.

I have a Garmin Etrex Venture CX that I have used a few times now. I have used it successfully during other trips but during my most recent trip to the swell, I thought that I was saving my tracks but it turns out I was only saving waypoints. I put these into Google Earth and now I am wondering if it is possible to add the tracks after the fact in Google Earth. I know exactly the route so would like to save it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Thomas

Udink
07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
If I understand correctly, you downloaded the waypoints from your GPS, but not the tracklog, and then you deleted them all from the GPS? In that case, you can use the Path tool in Google Earth to draw the route you took (click the "Add" menu, then click "Path"). It's not as smooth as the actual tracklog (you'll basically just add points and it will draw straight lines between the points), but it will work well if you draw a detailed path.

tmartenst
07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I initially thought that the track was not recorded on my GPS but I actually just looked and the track was recorded, I just never saved it so it did not download to Google Earth. The thing that sucks is the track goes all the way back to SLC from the swell so it will not be as concise I as I wanted it to be for a hike.

Thanks for the advice. It is good to know that you can add a path after the fact. I need to get more accustomed to Google Earth.

Thomas