PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Trails

Last Child
07-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Just thought I would post a little something about these two types of saws that you can carry with you just in case you are riding in an area that has some dead fall or new growth that needs clearing or trimming.

The wire saw works pretty good for new growth and smaller stuff. I have used it on my last couple of rides. Mostly to trim off some new growth growing out into the trails. It weighs absolutely nothing. Not the best cutting tool but it does the job and weighs nothing.

I got to use the Pocket Chainsaw a couple of times yesterday on Ricks Canyon to clear out some dead trees that had fallen over the trail forcing people to go around them. One of them was around 12" diameter. Man it cut right through it. No problem. It is not very heavy. Comes with a small can to carry it in and some handles if you like. If you had two people working it you could actually cut through a pretty good size tree. There was one big ol hangin aspen tree at the top of Ricks Canyon that I would have liked to clear out of the way yesterday. It is blocking the trail real bad and the newly created alternate route has something to be desired for. But it was definitely a two person job. I waited around for about a half hour for someone else to come along to see if they would assist but nobody did so I moved on. Maybe next time.

I will be carrying both of these with me all the time now. I have put them both in my Camelbak so that I will always have them. It's actually been kind of fun and has left me with a warm fuzzy knowing that I was able to help out some.

Happy Trails!

DiscGo
07-06-2008, 07:23 AM
That is pretty cool.

greyhair biker
07-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Man. that is cool! I must have one for my pack :2thumbs: