Scott P
06-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Summer just got here and I

tanya
06-28-2008, 07:52 PM
It was really hot today!

bbennett
06-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry about that. Sounds like somebody needs a new job. What kind of place are you working? I'm sure your employer is getting plenty of time with his kids.

greyhair biker
06-28-2008, 08:10 PM
...guess I shouldn't say that I'm on vacation - til the 13th :ne_nau:

Scott P
06-28-2008, 08:24 PM
What kind of place are you working?

I'm currently inspecting a highway project. The construction season is short up here (two weeks ago we had to shut down for a blizzard) so summer is always very busy if you're in the field. Luckily we can comp time our extra time and take it off in winter, but summer sort of bites.

...guess I shouldn't say that I'm on vacation - til the 13th

:yousuck: :lol8:

shlingdawg
06-28-2008, 09:17 PM
As long we we're rubbing it in...........

I hit Crater Lake National Park on Wednesday and part of Olympic National Park today, along with paying homage to the Grand Pacific Ocean; not to mention seeing my two kids lay eyes on the huge expanse of water for the first time.

I'm lucky. I worked a full week this week and everything.

I hope things open up for you sooner than later. Kids grow up WAY too fast. Life's too short to work through it all.

Here's to a very relaxing fall/autumn season. :five:

rockgremlin
06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
[quote=Scott P]Summer just got here and I

JP
06-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Cough :haha:
Ummm, I'm not working at all, so everyday is a weekend :haha:

accadacca
06-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Cough :haha:
Ummm, I'm not working at all, so everyday is a weekend :haha:
You suck. :bird: :comppunch:

JP
06-29-2008, 12:22 AM
You suck. :bird: :comppunch:
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Alex
06-29-2008, 06:52 AM
That blows Scott, can't say I share your summer experience, but I do know how it to watch the time fly by without an ability to get out. Hang in there man...

R
06-29-2008, 07:33 AM
I am spending my summer helping my wife on her rather long road to recovery from pneumonia. There are setbacks, but overall she is stronger every day. And despite the setbacks, I am grateful for every step she takes. This summer is one of waiting for us, waiting for the time when both she and I can get back into the wilderness. :nod:

sparker1
06-29-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not working, and I'm not recovering from anything. However, it is the first summer we've stayed in Florida in 10 years. I so want to be out west in the mountains, but here we are. Daily temps here in low 90's, and humid. Uncomfortable to do anything outside of air conditioned space. Only hiking I do is on the treadmill and stairmaster, then riding a stationary bike. Nice scenery...NOT.

At least the pool and the beach is inviting this time of year.

Ih8grvty
06-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Im in the same boat, started a new job last week, no vacation for a long time to come. Toss in that its at KUC, most of my days are hot as hell. add in that we do 10 hour days, then an 8 hour friday, I got very little time to get out, finishing projects that got started earlier (yesterday and today I dug out 200 feet of grass leveled and put in sand, then laid flag stone for a patio, today I got to lay in the pathways, and edge around the pond, next weekend its building the deck and the stairs that lead down to the patio.
actually, piss on it, next weekend is one of the few 3 days Ill get, and friday si my sons 5th birthday and he will be in the tooele parade. Im videoing him in the parade, then Im packing my shit, Ill see any of you in the uintas friday afternoon. See a beat dark blue nissan with a huge ass Colman tent when your up there, stop by and say howdy, the other crap can wait till the weekend after!

I was not working for a long bit, that sucks as much as working all the time.
Either way your just screwed screwed screwed.

Thinking about the uintas, did anyone on the site happen to be one of the batshit people I caught on the news last night running down the provo falls in a kayak?

JP
06-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I am spending my summer helping my wife on her rather long road to recovery from pneumonia.
Getting stronger for Autumn :2thumbs:

abirken
06-29-2008, 10:15 AM
It's sad that we have to sacrifice our free time in order to work extra to make ends meet. I don't know what to say except, you are in control of your own time and how to spend it. Not happy with working 50+ hours a week, change it. Ultimately, we are in control of how we want to live our lives. Find your balance. GET OUT THERE AND PLAY!!! :2thumbs:

savanna3313
06-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Summer is my favorite time in Utah! :2thumbs: Yes, it can get hot, but you don't have that wet humidity "blanket" suffocating you. Getting in the shade to cool off actually works out here. :haha:

Cirrus2000
06-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds to me like short term pain for long term gain. Like abirken says, you can change it if you really want to, but I think you must find tradeoffs that work, or you wouldn't be doing what you do.

Anyhoo, summer only just started here, too. We've had one of the worst springs I can recall here in Vancouver. Cold, wet, miserable. May and the first half of June felt more like October around here. The last couple of days we're finally getting temperatures into the mid to high 20s (75 - 85 for you non-metric heathens...) Actually took the doors off the jeep on Friday. Prolly have 'em off until Tuesday or so.

Worked a midnight last night, another one tonight, then off until Thursday afternoon. Got a fairly big hike planned for Wednesday - hope the weather holds!

This is going to be a pretty intensive summer for me - planning to work hard and play hard. Overtime, vacation, hiking, oh my...

rockgremlin
06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Im in the same boat, started a new job last week, no vacation for a long time to come. Toss in that its at KUC,

As in Kennecott Utah Copper?

abirken
06-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Summer is my favorite time in Utah! :2thumbs: Yes, it can get hot, but you don't have that wet humidity "blanket" suffocating you. Getting in the shade to cool off actually works out here. :haha:

SOOOOOOOO true girl! Shade in the south is easy to find but does little to relieve the heat. I don't miss sweating in the shade!!! :lol8:

Ih8grvty
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Im in the same boat, started a new job last week, no vacation for a long time to come. Toss in that its at KUC,

As in Kennecott Utah Copper?

As in exactly that.
Well at the smelter, but for a contractor, not for Rio Tinto.
Spent most of last week sweating my sack off on that damned converter, got behind schedule, got to finish the heat exchanger on monday.
Should ya wonder over that way, Ill be the one and only white boy on the scaffolding.

Scott P
06-29-2008, 04:39 PM
The year is already past half over, and I've only gotten two slot canyons in. On a normal year I get in around 12 -15 slot canyon hikes.

How about doing some in October? I

rockgremlin
06-29-2008, 05:56 PM
[quote=Scott P]How about doing some in October? I

Scott P
07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm down. Keep me in mind around October. I should have some time around then to break away.

Sounds good. Weather permitting we have a group lined up for the Grant Teton in early October, but other than that I don't have much planned yet.

Wouldn't mind doing Chop/Neon, Dinosaur, and various other canyons to name a few.

moabfool
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm with ya, this summer blows. I took a new job in February. I read the benefits package wrong. I thought I was getting 10 days of vacation to start. I got to orientation on the first day and it turns out I don't get any vacation for a year, but I can "borrow" 5 days from next year after six months. All I've got is two floating holidays and I've already used one.

There was a bright side. I thought I could just work 4-10's now and then so I could take a Friday off. Long weekends would do the trick. Add in some next-level adventures and I'd be just fine.

Well, gas shot up to $4/gallon and my buddy got engaged. Yah, this summer sucks.

Scott P
07-03-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm leaving right now (as in this minute) for four filled days in the mountains with my son. Man, this is going to be a great weekend. See you all later. :mrgreen: