PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle noob looking to buy

Jaxx
06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Well I may have talked my wife into buy a very cheap bike to ride to work. I am torn between a bike that is street only, because I love the looks of them, or a bike that I could also ride off road.

I have been looking at the Honda Rebel 250 cc. What should I look for in a bike? I have never owned one before.
What are the pros and cons to dual bikes?
Do they still get 60+ mph?
What are the must haves, besides a helmet?
budget is slim to none. Mabey $3,000 MAX.
Thanks in advance

double moo
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
how far is your commute?

what other riding are you planning to do?

Look into a Kawasaki 650 KLR. You should be able to find a used one for under $2500 that is somewhat farkled up. They have made them for 20 plus years - parts and accessories are plentiful and inexpensive - don't worry if the bike is 10 years old... look at the mileage, condition etc... Good riding position, durable, good fuel mileage, tame motor, cruises well, and very versatile.

The Rebel you are looking at is maybe not you best choice. Most folks will out grow it's abilities in a month. Then you are looking for something else again.

I normally believe that new riders should start off with smaller displacement engines - the KLR is not a power monster but adequate to give you years of fun.

Jaxx
06-25-2008, 07:52 AM
My commute is 18 miles. The wife has a stipulation that if I get a mc then I can't drive it on the freeway, that may not last too long.

She wants a road bike. I am leaning toward the dualsports but I have never ridden so I only know what I am missing out on by the TRs on bogley :haha:

Thanks for the advice on the Kawasaki.

Any advice on street bikes to start with if not the rebel? How many cc's do I want, I am a big guy.

double moo
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Does the wife ride? The Rebel won't handle the two of you... unless your both 5' zero and weigh in the 100 lb range!

Start by taking an MSF course from the community education department - they run in Ogden, SLC, and Provo on a continual basis. All of the course bikes they train you on are 250cc - my son took the class last month - they had Rebels, Yamaha 225s, and even a Kawai Ninja 250. Learn the safety aspects of the road, try out a myriad of their bikes, then make a better informed decision.

If you have any hankering for the dual sport riding then go that direction - chances are you will take a loss on any bike you ride then sell... less on some than others... so why settle for a riding discipline that interests you less?

My older son got a great deal on a DL650 Wee Strom last year. He had minimal riding experience but has picked it up and done well - rides it like a pro now! He took a trip to Winslow, AZ, last fall two up and had no problems. The bike is great to get around on, gets better than 60 mpg, is near bomb proof in the engine, and still looks nice. It is also rated as a dualk sport... but only to do fire roads!

Moo

Reedus
06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I have yet to find a dual sport bike that functions on both dirt and pavement optimally. I tried to go your route last year and bought a KLR650. I raps out at 70-75 mph, so I couldn't really tour the way I wanted to. I was alright around town, but if you want to take it offroad, fuggetaboutit. That bike is way to heavy and cumbersome to do anything remotely offroad. The XR650l is more of an offroad bike, but still heavy as hell. I ended up selling my KLR and bought a Yamaha WR450f for offroad and an SV650 for touring and road use. I understand finances probably won't allow for two bikes, but just something to consider.

fourtycal
07-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I always liked the Honda XR650L. It has been around long enough that you can find used fairly cheap. I rode mine on many road trips, even rode with the salt lake motorcycle club on a few, it was sweet riding with hundreds of Harleys on my dirtbike! It also offroaded fairly well, rode many thousands of miles of dirt, even slickrock in Moab several times. Has enough power to keep out of trouble on the streets and still very capable offroad.
Definately not a touring bike, long rides are hard on this bike but I felt like it was a great dual sport with a lean towards dirt. :2thumbs:

denaliguide
07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
i agree with double moo. klr 650 is a good choice. i have had one for 4 years. its a great commuter and it does ok off road. it is a bit heavy for the offroad stuff, for me. its also not for the vertically challenged. if your insseam is less than 34" you will spend alot of time on your toes when at stoplights.

this is a bike you can take around the world and find parts. dependable and inexpensive. new they are around $5500. a huge 6.1 gal. gas tank gives you a long time before fillups.

they also make a 450 model which might be a good choice too.

double moo
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I always liked the Honda XR650L. It has been around long enough that you can find used fairly cheap. I rode mine on many road trips, even rode with the salt lake motorcycle club on a few, it was sweet riding with hundreds of Harleys on my dirtbike! It also offroaded fairly well, rode many thousands of miles of dirt, even slickrock in Moab several times. Has enough power to keep out of trouble on the streets and still very capable offroad.
Definately not a touring bike, long rides are hard on this bike but I felt like it was a great dual sport with a lean towards dirt. :2thumbs:

I sold my XR650L this spring after buying the KTM. It was a good mix for a DS bike with the lean towards dirt. If your lean is more commuter and street try the KLR... or even a Suzuki DR650 - which is a better dirt bike than the KLR but not as good of a street bike. Again I must say to avoid the Rebel or similar bike. These are a good beginner bike for a 16 year old who intends to outgrow it before 17.

fourtycal
07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Any advice on street bikes to start with if not the rebel? How many cc's do I want, I am a big guy.

I used to ride a Yamaha Virago 1100, it would have been in your price range and was a pretty great bike. Like this one on KSL classifieds http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3686227&cat=&lpid=0