PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I could make $ off of this?

climbinghalfdome
06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
If you want the full story go to

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1913830;sb=post_latest_reply;so=AS C;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unr ead

I'm not an ontripaneer, but maybe the right person will see this and give me some ideas.
kevinhansen

climbinghalfdome
06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
One problem with big wall soloing is how to haul. Traditionaly you would build a multidirectional anchor tie the end to it then belay your self up the pitch. After reaching the top, you'd fix the lead line, the rappel line, and the haul line. (All 3 of which you trailed up with you) then down you go to undock the pig then you get to reclimb the pitch to clean your gear. Once at the top again you get to haul up the pig. Then repeat as needed till you run out of rock. Yes it takes 3 time as long if not more.
Then someone thought of an idea what if I tie into the pig and not the anchor? If I fell I'd yank the pig up a few feet, but it would act as a more dynamic belay and save me from having to build a multidirectional anchor. Great!
Then someone though of an idea, what if the pig was hanging from a hook at the belay? That way after I'm done climbing I can clip the haul line to me and the pig will go up as I rappel down to clean. This is good, yet a little risky. If the pig should unhook from the anchor prematurly, it would yank you off the wall while you are climbing.
What we need is a way to secure the pig to the anchor, yet still be able to release it from the top of the pitch. This thing would do it.
kevinhansen
What are your thoughts?

Brian in SLC
06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
What are your thoughts?

Too many moving parts and an extra piece of gear that doesn't serve any other purpose. Simpler to use a Verm hook.

-Brian in SLC

climbinghalfdome
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Simpler to use a Verm hook.

-Brian in SLC

Interesting..
These are some of the searches I've done with google with fruitless results.

verm hook
Big wall verm hook
haul bags verm hook
aid climbing verm hook
verm hook hanging on anchor
aid gear hooks verm

I even went to super taco and it wanted me to search for verum hook. Then I realized after 40+ minutes of searching I could ask you where to get one. Do you have a picture of one?

The searching did open my eyes to many websites about womens fassion and needle point.
Perhaps your thinking of the Verm that developed the bouldering difficulty scale (ie V1-V14) But what does bouldering have to do with hauling pigs?
Kevin

Brian in SLC
06-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I even went to super taco and it wanted me to search for verum hook. Then I realized after 40+ minutes of searching I could ask you where to get one. Do you have a picture of one?
Perhaps your thinking of the Verm that developed the bouldering difficulty scale (ie V1-V14) But what does bouldering have to do with hauling pigs?

Vermin Equipement and Supply in Ringold Georgia was the last address I'd heard. Yosemite Mountain Shop has carried his stuff (Forrest or Forest Gardner). I picked some up in North Carolina at the shop in Brevard. Pretty handy rigs. Marked with a distinctive "V" on them.

Was either called the freight hook or the cargo hook or some such.

Nope, not thinkin' of John Sherman.

I don't have a picture of them.

-Brian in SLC