PDA

View Full Version : Trip report June 20 Subway - Novices survive!

Jer53621
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Subway was awesome! The trail description was adequate, there were footprints to track, cairns to follow, and it could not have turned out better. I would have to say that the hike from Wildcat to the subway makes the whole trip worth it. The first swim was cold and cold, then the water got warmer in each pool. The canyon is so beautiful, you can't beat that view anywhere. The hand climbs were very manageable, and the swims felt great in such hot weather. We started at 10:30 and we were out at 7:00. We spent about 1.5 hours at the waterfall and it was well worth it. The hike after the subway was very monotonous, I can't imagine hiking up and then back down, you would miss the most of the fantastic scenery. All in all it was terrific and I will do it again, but the climb up at the end was very rough on my weary legs. Here are some pics, sorry they're in reverse order.

AJ
06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Nice! Glad you had a good time. Good eye to see the owl there...

trackrunner
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Good eye to see the owl there...
:nod:

Iceaxe
06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Sweet!

:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Subway was awesome! The trail description was adequate,

Just curious.... who's did you use?

:popcorn:

Jer53621
06-23-2008, 07:49 PM

We used Tom's utah canyoneering guide, I found it on-line. I thought it could have been more detailed in getting us to the canyon, but once in the canyon it was a big help in tackling all the obstacles.

tanya
06-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the Group!

Fun photos and trip report! I see you loved that hike out as much as I do. :haha:

What's next on your agenda. :popcorn: :mrgreen:

ratagonia
06-23-2008, 08:36 PM

We used Tom's utah canyoneering guide, I found it on-line. I thought it could have been more detailed in getting us to the canyon, but once in the canyon it was a big help in tackling all the obstacles.

That is (probably) the most detailed and carefully edited canyon route description you will ever see.

Just wanted to point that out, because if you felt it was only "adequate", you might want to find another sport. You will need to be substantially more self-sufficient on future adventures. Get some training on how to read a topographic map, go with friends that know how to navigate, etc.

And yes, I am testy. Too much pollen in the air makes Tom an irritated and grumpy old fart... :moses:

Tom

tanya
06-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Tom even had me follow it on my 'firstish' canyon ever :haha:

abirken
06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
"Tom" and the word "adequate" in one sentence is sacrilege. It just doesn't sit well.

"Tom" and the word "precise" in one sentence is more like it.
:2thumbs: Just calling it like it is.

Glad you had a good time though and glad you made it back!!! :mrgreen:

Felicia
06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Very nice pictures! :2thumbs:

Did you encounter many people?

Iceaxe
06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Just wanted to point that out, because if you felt it was only "adequate", you might want to find another sport.

WOW.... we caught Tom on one of his "good" days.... :haha:

Hmmm... noob's use your guide, don't die or need rescue.... sounds adequate to me.... :roflol:

tanya
06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Just wanted to point that out, because if you felt it was only "adequate", you might want to find another sport.

WOW.... we caught Tom on one of his "good" days.... :haha:

Hmmm... noob's use your guide, don't die or need rescue.... sounds adequate to me.... :roflol:

I agree. It's was one of his :mrgreen: nicer replies. :popcorn: :lol8:

Tom use to scare me! :eek2: But not anymore.
Now Ice scares me! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
Bo is never scary. Just nice. :nod: