PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 released

stefan
06-17-2008, 07:51 PM
i only use FF for some things, but it's certainly a great browser and FF3 is purportedly 2-3 times faster than FF2

Firefox 3 (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html)

LOAH
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks. Upgraded just now. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

JP
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks. Upgraded just now. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
X2 :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
06-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Sweet, now they just need to get the themes working, I noticed some do, some don't

skianddive
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
i only use FF for some things,
Just curious....why do you only use it for some things and not as your primary browser? And what things do you think are better with FF?

FROGGER
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Just curious....why do you only use it for some things and not as your primary browser? And what things do you think are better with FF?

EVERYTHING
http://ganjataz.com/css/sigs/reason1-firefox-notIE.gif
http://img172.exs.cx/img172/1236/bowtothefox7mw.gif

skianddive
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
EVERYTHING
I agree, with the exception of those websites where idiots code them to be IE-dependent or who don't test with other browsers.

I was just wandering why Stefan felt that it might be better for "some things".

COUNTRYBOY
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I love using Firefox. Since I started using it, I hate using IE. I really like how you can customize it with themes.

Iceaxe
06-18-2008, 12:47 PM
First rule of software.... don't ever be the first dumbass to upgrade.

Let some other clown find the bugs that always exist in new software.

:asshat:

stefan
06-18-2008, 01:06 PM

i prefer camino on os x, (been using it for about 4 years), for various reasons (better memory management, faster loading, faster rendering of graphics, like the graphical interface). mainly it's been written in cocoa and is made to integrate better with os x.

however in the case of somethings (e.g. some video related stuff) firefox can handle them better. also, i know firefox allows for many more plugins too, though i tend not to take advantage of those. what camino provides often is enough, and if i need something i can use FF on occasion.

i need to experiment more with FF3 to see how it really compares from an experiential point of view. they've really tried to improve FF3 for working more natively with os x. so ...

FROGGER
06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
First rule of software.... don't ever be the first dumbass to upgrade.

Let some other clown find the bugs that always exist in new software.

:asshat:

Thats only true for Microsoft releases... :roll:

Iceaxe
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Funny... I've just been reading about all the issues that have surfaced with the latest version of FF....

:cool2:

FROGGER
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Funny... I've just been reading about all the issues that have surfaced with the latest version of FF....

Like what, i have been running it all day with no problems...

Iceaxe
06-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Always one in every crowd..... :roll:

Known IssuesThis list covers some of the known problems with Firefox 3. Please read this before reporting any new bugs.

All Systems
Installing Firefox 2 in the same directory in which Firefox 3 has been installed may result in Firefox 2 being unstable (bug 423226)
If Flash content is active when Firefox crashes, the Crash Reporter may not activate (bug 422308)
Deleting an entry from the history sidebar, then invoking the Clear Private Data tool can result Firefox crashing (bug 426275)
The IME input tool used to enter Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Indic characters is covered by the "Add Bookmark" panel. Users can use IME for input in the Library window by selecting "Organize Bookmarks..." from the Bookmarks menu (bug 433340)
Some add-ons that depend on deprecated code may not install properly (see bug 406807)
Privacy > History > Remember visited pages to "0" has no effect (bug 366075)
Some users who have customized toolbars may need to reset them if they are missing the Back and Forward buttons (bug 426026)
Some Web pages (such as mlb.com) do not properly detect if Silverlight is installed and will not function properly (bug 432371)
When printing a selected region of content from the middle of a page, some of the output may be missing (bug 433373)
The DOM Inspector has been removed and is now available as an add-on.
Support for Cross-Site XmlHttpRequest has been removed until the specification becomes more stable and the security model is improved (bug 424923)
After dismissing the "Do you want Firefox to remember this password" prompt, it is sometimes not possible to focus form fields unless you reload the page (bug 433942)
The new Location Bar, Add Bookmark dialog, and Download Manager information popup behave inconsistently with Window-Eyes (bug 393398)

Microsoft Windows
A Windows Media Player (WMP) plugin is not provided with Windows Vista and some other versions of Windows. To view Windows Media content, you must install this plugin by following these instructions. After installing you may need to check for Windows Updates before the plugin will show content properly.
Users who have older installations of Google Desktop Search may experience crashes on startup; reinstalling Google Desktop Search fixes the problem (bug 401513)

Mac OS X
Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Indic characters can not be entered (using IME) into text fields in Flash objects (bug 357670)
If you are using IPv6 from a network location that doesn't support IPv6 routing your DNS lookups may be very slow. Set network.dns.disableIPv6 to true as a workaround (bug 417689)
Items in the "File" menu show as inactive after using the "Print" item from that menu - switching to a new tab restores them (bug 425844)
At this time, Firefox 3 cannot be used when the user profile is stored on an AFP directory (bug 417037)

Linux and Unix
Users on a PPP connection (dialup or DSL) may find that Firefox always starts in "Offline" mode. Toggle File > Work Offline as a work around (bug 424626)
Users running Ubuntu 7.10 may need to update their certificate databases in order to submit crash reports (bug 407748 for instructions)
The mouse button assignments for Back and Forward have changed, users may need to reconfigure their pointing devices (bug 420294)
Incompatibilities between NVIDIA drivers and some versions of the X server cause scaled images to render incorrectly (bug 411831)
The Orca screen reading software does not read some text, such as the save password notification, site identity information, or the default prompt text in search fields - these are known problems with Orca (see Gnome bug 533109 and 533125)
TroubleshootingPoorly designed or incompatible extensions can cause problems with your browser, including make it crash, slow down page display, etc. If you encounter strange problems relating to parts of the browser no longer working, the browser not starting, windows with strange or distorted appearance, degraded performance, etc, you may be suffering from Extension or Theme trouble. Restart the browser in Safe Mode. On Windows, start using the "Safe Mode" shortcut created in your Start menu or by running firefox.exe -safe-mode. On Linux, start with ./firefox -safe-mode and on Mac OS X, run:
cd /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
./firefox-bin -safe-mode

When started in Safe Mode all extensions are disabled and the Default theme is used. Disable the Extension/Theme that is causing trouble and then start normally.
If you uninstall an extension that is installed with your user profile (i.e. you installed it from a Web page) and then wish to install it for all user profiles using the -install-global-extension command line flag, you must restart the browser once to cleanse the profile extensions datasource of traces of that extension before installing with the switch. If you do not do this you may end up with a jammed entry in the Extensions list and will be unable to install the extension globally.
If you encounter strange problems relating to bookmarks, downloads, window placement, toolbars, history, or other settings, it is recommended that you try creating a new profile and attempting to reproduce the problem before filing bugs. Create a new profile by running Firefox with the -P command line argument, choose the "Manage Profiles" button and then choose "Create Profile...". Migrate your settings files (Bookmarks, Saved Passwords, etc) over one by one, checking each time to see if the problems resurface. If you do find a particular profile data file is causing a problem, file a bug and attach the file.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat can I do to help?
We need help from developers and the testing community to provide as much feedback as possible to make Firefox even better. Please read these notes and the bug filing instructions before reporting any bugs to Bugzilla. You can also give us your feedback through this feedback form.

Why haven

RugerShooter
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM

I have yet to see any issues either.

Jaxx
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
"Deleting an entry from the history sidebar, then invoking the Clear Private Data tool can result Firefox crashing (bug 426275) "

That is for all the 14 year olds at home. :roflol:

Iceaxe
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Honestly... I hope you guys have good luck with FF3. I've just been first to upgrade to many times and had to many problems... it's an issue with all complicated code.

:2thumbs:

DiscGo
06-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I am with Shane. I love FireFox, but it is best to adapt a little after it comes out. That way all your favorite extensions have time to code and come over, and the bugs get worked out. :2thumbs:

That being said, I do love Firefox, so I am happy about FF3 being out.

Sombeech
06-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I've still got FF2 at home, but FF3 at work.

cuz I don't give a crap what happens to my work files. :haha:

DiscGo
06-19-2008, 06:12 AM
cuz I don't give a crap what happens to my work files. :haha:

:roflol:

FROGGER
06-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Always one in every crowd..... :roll:

Smart ass... I was just asking because i didn't know.. Unlike yourself I don't spend a lot of time geeking out on release notes.. :roll:

Iceaxe
06-19-2008, 11:52 AM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/MarleeDanger/smartass.jpg

FROGGER
06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/MarleeDanger/smartass.jpg\

LOL... nice one :nod: but

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z97/thefrogger101/300px-Nobody_likes_a_smartass_logo.jpg

R
07-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Okay, Firefox is now in 3.0.1, and I am using it. Seems stable and works well. Firefox has been my primary browser at home since about 1.4. In the past year, I have gotten everyone at work on Camino, which I also really like, since we are an all-Mac newsroom, and I think having our work computers on a very OS X native platform makes better sense.

No Bogley problems with FF 3.0.1, by the way. :nod:

JP
07-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I have had it since it was posted here, no problems what so ever for me :2thumbs: