PDA

View Full Version : bulgy tire?

Shan
06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I just bought a fatty slick tire for my commuter bike. I picked it out of the "cheap" box at a local bike shop. $15

I got it on my rim and it's like it doesn't seal inside the rim all the way (this rim has fit same sized tires before just fine). As a result, some of my tube can be seen poking out the bulgy gap.

Is this my fault for buying a cheap slick? Should I take it back? How do you know it'll do this when it's just sitting there int he box?

The bulge is so bad I have to unhook my V-brakes and even then it still hits something on my brake.

tallsteve
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I would take it back. Most reputable local bike shops would exchange it if you explain the problem (they want your repeat business). I buy a pair of semi-slicks every spring to put on my mtn. bike for some road riding. I've found that I can get buy with a decent mid grade semi-slick if it's made by a brand-name manufacturer like Continental. I think my last pair ran about $18 each.

Danno04
06-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll can give you mine Maxxis HookWorms for that price, they 2.5in.

greyhair biker
06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Sounds like the tires are made for a wider rim...something around a 2" wide, or a deeper rim wall with a more aggresive beadlock That, or the tires' beads have been wore from repeated removal. I'm guessing of course since I cant see them but take 'em back to the shop and get some different ones.
You should never have to do a drastic adjustment to the bike just to get the tires to work.