PDA

View Full Version : Newly found planets make case for 'crowded universe'

stefan
06-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Newly found planets make case for 'crowded universe'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- European astronomers have found a trio of "super-Earths" closely circling a star that astronomers once figured had nothing orbiting it.

The discovery demonstrates that planets keep popping up in unexpected places around the universe.

The announcement is the first time three planets close to Earth's size were found orbiting a single star, said Swiss astronomer Didier Queloz.

He was part of the Swiss-French team using the European Southern Observatory's La Silla Observatory in the desert in Chile.

The mass of the smallest of the super-Earths is about four times the size of Earth. iReport.com: Send your pictures of space

That may seem like a lot, but they are quite a bit closer in size and likely composition to Earth than the giants in Earth's solar system -- Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

They are much too hot to support life, Queloz said.

Scientists are more interested in the broader implications of the finding: The universe is teeming with far more planets than thought.

Using a new tool to study more than 100 stars once thought to be devoid of planets, the Swiss-French team found that about one-third had planets that are only slightly bigger than Earth.

That's how the star with three super-Earths, 42 light-years away, was spotted.

The European team took a second look with a relatively new instrument that measures tiny changes in light wave lengths and is so sensitive that it is precisely positioned and locked in a special room below the observatory in Chile. The key is kept in Switzerland, scientists say.

The discovery is "really making the case that we live in a crowded universe," said Carnegie Institution of Washington astronomer Alan Boss, who was not part of the discovery team. "Planets are out there. They're all over the place."

That means it is easier to make the case for life elsewhere in the universe, both Boss and Queloz said.

Ih8grvty
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I have always believed in life on other planets, just head to the uintas in the summer and look up in the sky at night, there are so many stars you can see you couldnt count them on a photograph in a day of trying.
There has to be life SOMEPLACE outside of earth.
where i stop believing in it is in thinking that those life forms have made it to earth.

Redpb
06-17-2008, 10:54 AM
where i stop believing in it is in thinking that those life forms have made it to earth.

He's in denial. BELIEVE.

Ih8grvty
06-17-2008, 11:07 AM
NO

:fitz:

sparker1
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Maybe we should study them to learn how we can deal with global warming.

MY T PIMP
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I think we should travel to them and drill for oil :haha:

Sombeech
06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I think we should travel to them and drill for oil :haha:

I do not appreciate your comments.

COUNTRYBOY
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I read that article too. Somewhere in there I believe it said that one of those planets did a full orbit in 4 Days!!

"They orbit their star at extremely rapid speeds -- one whizzing around in just four days, compared with Earth's 365 days, one taking 10 days and the slowest taking 20 days."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080616/sc_nm/space_planets_dc;_ylt=Ar70m8K7F45QywKca9f5Iyms0NUE

What would the weather be like there?