PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day

tanya
06-15-2008, 08:54 AM
The History of Father's Day
Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards.

In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!

Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington.

At about the same time in various towns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day.".

In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all honored on Father's Day.

May you Father's have a great day with your kids today!

http://www.myholidayclipart.com/images/illustrations/xsmall2/43_daughter_crying_on_father39s_day.jpg

http://www.madmapper.co.za/blog_images/fatherson_blog.jpg

JP
06-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Happy Dad's Day to all the Dad's out there :2thumbs:

DiscGo
06-15-2008, 01:24 PM
I have seen a lot of people on this site post really cool pictures of things they have taken their children to do in the outdoors. It inspires me to be a better Dad, so thanks for your great examples.

Happy Father's Day!

tanya
06-15-2008, 01:25 PM
How is your ankle? That looked really bad at the fest!

Yeah... you guys should post photos of YOU with your kids here in this thread!

Here is a collage for hubby --- with our 5 kids and 4 grandkids. dang I am old! :eek2: The black belt is my oldest son -- yeah I have one that old! The rest are younger.

DiscGo
06-15-2008, 02:30 PM
How is your ankle?

Better. I think today will be my last day using crutches. My ankle is still a bad color, but I no longer have a "cankle".

In years of being on this site together Tanya, I never knew you had kids. I guess I just never really thought about it, and you looked too fit to have had kids. Those kids are adorable! Great pictures!

tanya
06-15-2008, 02:49 PM
How is your ankle?

Better. I think today will be my last day using crutches. My ankle is still a bad color, but I no longer have a "cankle".

In years of being on this site together Tanya, I never knew you had kids. I guess I just never really thought about it, and you looked too fit to have had kids. Those kids are adorable! Great pictures!

You don't think kids because I probably flirt so much with ALL the guys --- and who would think any woman today would go through the torture of having 5 of them! I wish we got to do a canyon together at the fest. Hopefullly next time you come this way!

I am glad you are off the crutches! A little color never hurt anyone. :haha:

savanna3313
06-15-2008, 03:11 PM
--- and who would think any woman today would go through the torture of having 5 of them!

:hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :becca:

Well girl......did you finally find out what was causin' them? :haha:

I wasn't fortunate enough to have kids when I was married, but I do have vicarious children - all girls. Two are young women now (and gorgeous) and 2 are little ones (one just born a few weeks ago).

So.....the "belle" tradition lives on...... :five:

I'd like to send out a Happy Father's Day remembrance for all the Dads who are no longer with us. I think of my Dad often, but especially on occasions such as today. He taught me SO much! He was also literally one of a kind..... :2thumbs:

DiscGo
06-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Well girl......did you finally find out what was causin' them?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Iceaxe
06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
:popcorn:

Mooseman70
06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Tanya! My wife & kids have spoiled me today. :2thumbs:

Happy Father's Day to the rest of the Bogley Dad's, too! :cool2:

sparker1
06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes, and my best wishes to all the dads and those who made them dads.

I spent a lovely day visiting with my youngest son, watching the US Open, and the twin grand-daughters. My daughter-in-law made an excellent dinner and dessert, and my wife took it easy.

Here's a picture of my youngest son and me, taken in the late 70's. He will be 40 next Saturday, helping to make us feel really old.

erial
06-15-2008, 07:36 PM
was that photo taken of you and your son in tillman ravine?

Felicia
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Happy Father's Day!!

abirken
06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Happy Fathers Day to all you big ol' daddys out there!! And this post is for my husband and my dad of which I spent the whole weekend with. To my Dad that has transformed himself thru diet and exercise (he's lost 100 lbs the right way and kept it off for 5 years) and to my husband that still rocks a pool at 40 years old better than those 16 year olds can ever wish.....and he looks damn good doing it. :naughty: :lol8: :2thumbs:

sparker1
06-16-2008, 04:42 AM
was that photo taken of you and your son in tillman ravine?

I don't know the name of the specific location, but it was in New Jersey. :roflol:

tanya
06-16-2008, 06:04 AM
:hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :becca:

Well girl......did you finally find out what was causin' them? :haha:

I wasn't fortunate enough to have kids when I was married, but I do have vicarious children - all girls. Two are young women now (and gorgeous) and 2 are little ones (one just born a few weeks ago).

So.....the "belle" tradition lives on...... :five:

I'd like to send out a Happy Father's Day remembrance for all the Dads who are no longer with us. I think of my Dad often, but especially on occasions such as today. He taught me SO much! He was also literally one of a kind..... :2thumbs:

I did figure it out, but far too late! It's not sex! It's doing what makes a man happy. I just happened to run across a man who thinks having kids is happiness. :lol8:

MY T PIMP
06-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Here's my dad with his newest kid; chunk (the black lab) and my brother's draughthar.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/idaho_trip__and_sage_chicken_hunt_2005_031__medium _.jpg

tanya
06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I guess that means you come 'after' the dogs. :haha:

Alex
06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Took both of my dads rafting down Provo on Fathers Day.

http://max.kazkat.com/albums/album69/IMGP2686.sized.jpg

They both loved it :2thumbs:

abirken
06-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Took both of my dads rafting down Provo on Fathers Day.

http://max.kazkat.com/albums/album69/IMGP2686.sized.jpg

They both loved it :2thumbs:

Oh that is so neat! I wish I were your father so you could take me down the river but I don't think I'd wear a beard well. HAHA!!!! Awesome son! :2thumbs: :five:

MY T PIMP
06-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I guess that means you come 'after' the dogs. :haha:

Exactly! :nod:

tanya
06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
T.

I hope you get a wife that makes up for that! :nod:

Alex... you are such a great husband and son too! I hope your fathers day was special. What did you get?

Alex
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
T.
What did you get?

Something very special :naughty:

tanya
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Lucky Man! I can't wait to meet this woman that keeps you so happy! :five:

MY T PIMP
06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
[quote="tanya"]T.

I hope you get a wife that makes up for that! :nod: [quote]

Believe it or not I'm married :nod: And she hooked me up with a Gift Cert at Massage Envy! :nod:

tanya
06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Now that kind of woman is a keeper! :haha: