PDA

View Full Version : Some fun I had in Zions

Scout Master
06-10-2008, 10:10 PM
While hiking last week in Zions I noticed an unusual number of Europeans. Due to the current changes in economy, travel to the United States by foreign tourists has skyrocketed. We found ourselves surrounded by tourists from all over the world. As you know I am a very out going person and love to talk to people. As I began to realize how many foreign visitors we had in the park I began to formulate a plan to reach out to these people, to welcome them to our country and provide them with a positive experience. I put on my Scout Uniform (with my Kilt) and set out to shake hands and meet as many different people as I could. The following is a list of as many of the different countries as I could remember.
Holland, Germany, Bavaria, Italy, Belgium, Austria, England, Scotland, Canada, Check Republic, Bulgaria, Australia, Mexico, Jamaica, France, Hungary, Norway, Turkey, Netherlands, India, Korea,
This was an incredible experience. Though some of these people showed little interest in this strange American and some spoke little or no English. All were welcomed with a bright smile and my own jovial personality. Many many of them were both kind and excited to meet me and visit as much as time would permit. Quite a few of them wanted either my picture or have their picture taken with me. I am quite sure most will return to their countries with a memory of our beautiful National parks and one particularly friendly American who looked like Santa Claus in a Scout Uniform.
It is also important to note in seeking out these many foreign visitors I also met many hundreds of American tourists from all walks of life and all four corners of our great country. All of these folks were greeted with equal kindness and welcomed to this great State and one of our most beautiful National parks.
And Yes I did hike to top of Angels Landing in a Kilt

abirken
06-10-2008, 10:15 PM
This has to be ONE OF THE BEST!!!!!!!!! I love your approach to socializing and meeting new folks. So awesome!! But I am bummed that I didn't run into you this weekend while down there myself. Maybe next time. :haha: :2thumbs: :five:

Don
06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
And Yes I did hike to top of Angels Landing in a Kilt
Wow, it takes some balls to be seen wearing that in a public place! :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
One of the best photos I've seen this week. :2thumbs:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/100_5708__small_.jpg

sparker1
06-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Wonderful story, and a great act of friendship. I have, with much less"formality", met lots of foreign tourists out west and in Canada. My approach is simply to speak to people we encounter on the trail or at overlooks, etc. Offering to take a group picture is always a good start, and if they speak English, a conversation usually follows. In several cases, there have been followup emails with pictures of our respective countries.

Here in Florida, we get a large number of European tourists, so I welcome them as I spot them on the beach. They can usually be recognized because the women are topless. :cool2:

DiscGo
06-11-2008, 05:52 AM
ScoutMaster, you are so dang cool. Both of those pictures are awesome!

greyhair biker
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
WAHOO! Representing so many awesome things here! One awesome dude! :five: :2thumbs:

erial
06-11-2008, 06:24 AM
And here's the lyrics from an ol' scout song that might serve as the soundtrack for that photo:

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.
Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun,
So joyously it calls to me,
"Come! Join my happy song!"

I wave my hat to all I meet,
And they wave back to me,
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet
From ev'ry green wood tree.

High overhead, the skylarks wing,
They never rest at home
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam.

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!

greyhair biker
06-11-2008, 06:46 AM
And here's the lyrics from an ol' scout song that might serve as the soundtrack for that photo:

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.
Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun,
So joyously it calls to me,
"Come! Join my happy song!"

I wave my hat to all I meet,
And they wave back to me,
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet
From ev'ry green wood tree.

High overhead, the skylarks wing,
They never rest at home
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam.

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!

...thats EXACTLY what I was thinking of!! COOL!
BE PREPARED!

Mooseman70
06-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Matty,

You are one helluva guy! :2thumbs: Glad to call you a friend!

I think you wore yer uniform to get more pics with the lasses, hmm? :haha:

Win
06-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm sitting at my desk with a huge smile. Thanks.

Win

Teleken
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Most excellent!!

Scott Card
06-11-2008, 09:33 AM
One of the best photos I've seen this week. :2thumbs:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/100_5708__small_.jpg

X2 Awesome Shot!! and great story.

Ih8grvty
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
wearing a kilt?
traditional style or new style?
I mean was it commando in a kilt or g rated?
if it was commando and you were a bit ahead an up from them on the trail, I think I know why ya got so much attention :naughty:

I gotta friend who looks a whole bunch like you, beard is longer, and a bit rounder, does the santa bit each year in department stores and private parties. No matter what time of year and where we go, kids are on him! I dont know how many times Iv run into him at the store and hes telling strangers kids that santa is on vacation and getting supplies to take back to the elfs.
Oddly enough, he has someone in Kaysville he loathes, and he lives in grantsville, you got a nemesis in grantsville since you live in kaysville?

accadacca
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I think we should start calling you BOGLEY CLAUSE!! :five: clause