PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Gym

phaedrus78
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Okay, Just wondering if there are any climbing gyms in northern Utah County. I've checked out Momentum and The Quarry, but would like something closer.

Also, on a side note, is the climbing gym west of I-15 and just South of 90 S in Salt Lake County still around (I was member of that one about 12 years ago and wanted to know if I could refer a friend to it or not).

Thanks

jumar
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know of any gyms other than the two you mentioned, close to N. Utah County. The rec center in Lehi has a wall, but not a gym.

The gym out on 90th S isn't there anymore. I believe they moved closer to SLC.

Brian in SLC
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Okay, Just wondering if there are any climbing gyms in northern Utah County. I've checked out Momentum and The Quarry, but would like something closer.

Also, on a side note, is the climbing gym west of I-15 and just South of 90 S in Salt Lake County still around (I was member of that one about 12 years ago and wanted to know if I could refer a friend to it or not)

Pretty much it for gyms in N. Utah County. Owned by the same folks, methinks, but, I'm not sure if the membership transfers between the two.

The gym you're thinkin' of started out life as "the body shop" located next to the old IME location in Sugarhouse on Gunn Ave. Then it moved to the location you referenced. Now its downtown. Mostly a bouldering gym. 1450 South 400 West. http://www.frontslc.com/

If I wasn't a Rockreation member, with a very short drive, I'd consider Momentum for sure. Great climbing gym.

http://www.momentumclimbing.com/cms/

-Brian in SLC

phaedrus78
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Jeff and Brian,

Thanks for the info. I'm really impressed with Momentum and will probably look into that gym, since it is a bit closer to SS, than Provo.

Forgot about the legacy center, thanks Jeff, I think I'll start there for a few sessions. I was mainly looking at one of the big gyms so I could get some instruction for me and the kids as well, but I just found out that one of my good friends is/was a BSA cert climbing director and has good experience with teaching climbing instructors. So, starting the kids off at the legacy center with his help sounds like the economical way to go until we get a feel about how serious the boys are about climbing. Once I get them wanting more, we'll give Momentum a call :rockon:

-todd

shaggy125
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Momentum is a great gym, I just cancelled my membership since I've only been once in the last month (now that it's warm I just can't climb in the gym anymore). The Lehi rec gym is small but fun and cheap, probably would be a good place to learn.