PDA

View Full Version : FIRST ! .... Moab dayhike and photography project

doubtingtom
06-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Please help with early Moab area exploration plans! We are long time St George transplants (Calif until 1988) and regular hikers throughout southwestern Utah area. Now ready (this week) to start a lengthy, multi-trip project exploring Moab area. We (wife) are almost strictly dayhikers, <10 mi roundtrip), and I don't handle steep vertical exposure well (at all!). :nono:
We hike at least weekly and can handle reasonable elevation change.

We will arrive there this Thursday aftenoon for 3 days and hope to concentrate on key areas, one at a time, until we get a sound basis for planning more in-depth trips.
Some advice has been either stay in Moab and start with Arches ( Delicate Arch, Fiery Furnace, Double O, etc). Another is Needles area, Squaw Flat Campground and dayhike there. ??? We drive Pontiac Aztek GT with its attachable tent set-up and also 7' x 7' Chinoook Santa Ana tent.

We are open to suggestions for the next few trips and hoping to avoid ignorant mistakes and overly aggressive plans. Looking forward to some sound advice :wavey:

Regards,
Tom B

Alex
06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
If you never been to Moab area, Arches is a must. There are a ton of hikes to keep you busy for 4-5 days. A couple of canyoneering routes as well.

I don't mean to pimp Shane's site, but he has a good organization of the hikes in the area. http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/index.htm

Some of the highlights and must dos:

Fiery Furnace is a great hike, you can make it an hour long, but it's much more fun to do it as a day hike.

Delicate Arch hike

Devil's Garden

Corona Arch

Needless section of Canyonlands

and much more...

doubtingtom
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Many thanks for your help! That is a fine site and we will be studying it today and until departure. Your post is much appreciated ! :2thumbs:

Regards,
Tom B

Alex
06-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Also don't forget this thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652

Every forum should have a sticky with TRs. Admins on this site are doing a fine job keeping up with that. That should get you started.

But remember, if you take beta from this site, you have to return the favor with pics and a Trip Report :2thumbs: We like pics here very much!

sparker1
06-09-2008, 12:41 PM
In addition to those Alex mentioned, there are some good hikes on route 128 going east from Moab. Negro Bill, Morning glory, Fisher Towers, etc. Also, some great 4WD roads nearby. Canyonlands has good hikes in aall sections. You'll never get it all done in a week.

You may waant to take the ranger-led hike into Fiery Furnace the first time. It only takes a couple hours, but familiarizes you with the area.

Alex
06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh thanks man, Fisher Tower is great for hiking.

Also, for the life of me I can't remember the natural double bridge name to the west of Moab on the way to Dead Horse Point...? It's not much of a hike, but it's a thing to see for sure!

greyhair biker
06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
all I can add is WOW - there are So many places to hike in the Moab area. You left out a nice one for a short hike and a good cool down, and it's right in town. Go hike up Millcreek from the parking area where the 'shiny happy people' live/used to live. Head towards the Sand Flats Rec area and turn south/right at the stop sign across from the cemetary...make a left onto a dirt road...south side of Millcreek...and park at the parking area across the creek from Potato Salad Hill. Your hike starts from there and heads up the creek, through the creek, up the left fork & canyon. Of course I only go up there to 'cool off' in the hot part of the day....very popular area for that!

Alex
06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Ya Millcreek is nice too, that's where I got to meet the nakid dude and help him out! :2thumbs:

But you got to hit the main attractions first, Arches and all that. Millcreek is good for an afternoon August hike in Moab.

slickrocker
06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Also, for the life of me I can't remember the natural double bridge name to the west of Moab on the way to Dead Horse Point...? It's not much of a hike, but it's a thing to see for sure!

Gemini Bridges.

Alex
06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Duh... thanks! :2thumbs:

sparker1
06-09-2008, 05:10 PM

doubtingtom
06-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Sorry for the late acknowledgment !! Local Internet went out all afternoon and evening ....

I bookmarked the 'sticky' site (trip reports) and noted the other suggestions. The Millcreek hike sounds great given our 'hotter' weather start this year. An afternoon cool-off spot will let us stay active later on some days.
Also, the 'east side' hikes sound interesting ....

Many thanks all !! :nod:

Regards,
Tom B